The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 15, 2008, 08:31 PM   #1
.22marlin

High Power range?

I'm getting married in Oct. and my best man asks me the other day "What do you want to do for your bachelor party?" The first thing that came to mind was "I want to shoot my .50 cal at a LONG range!" The longest I've fired it at was about 150-200 yds. I know this isn't even scratching the surface of what this gun is capable of. So my question now is where can we (group of 5-6 guys) go and shoot? I'm in southern NJ but we're willing to drive a few hours.
Old July 16, 2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Lavid2002

YOUR IN SOUTHERN NJ TOO! WOW! I thought I was all alone! Im in atlantic county! Where are you?
I go to USANA in elmer, thats the longest range I have personally seen or found from my hours of internet searching for ranges in NJ. Sucks doesnt it : (
Welcome to jersey brotha.
Good luck finding somewhere!
-Dave
P.S. Ive proboably shot with you if you go to Atlantic county pistol range, Makepeace WMA or USANA : D
Old July 16, 2008, 10:26 PM   #3
.22marlin

we usually go to hague's down on 295 in Thorofare. But for the rifles and shotguns we go to my family's pocono house, they have a decent peice of property for "normal" rifle and handgun. I've had my AR-50 for about 2 years now and I'm dying to shoot long range.
Old July 17, 2008, 02:32 AM   #4
predator86

befriend a farmer

why not a farmers field?? find one that has a hill at the end of it and shoot into the hill.......but im in wisconsin where you gotta watch out for cowpies on the sidewalk
Old July 17, 2008, 08:54 AM   #5
HKuser

How about a range in PA, just a few hours over the AC Expressway.
Old July 18, 2008, 05:37 AM   #6
.22marlin

The only range in pa that was open to non-members and has a rifle range longer than 300yds was ridgeway rifle club. It's in ridgeway pa, which is about 5 hours away. Kinda far for a day trip.

Predator86- A hill, in jersey Actually I know a guy that owns a sod farm, Maybe this is an option... I'll ask him.
Old July 25, 2008, 03:51 PM   #7
ammoeater

Hey guys, I'm in Ocean County. I just joined up with the Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol Club in Jackson. Beautiful facility. The longest rifle range there is 300 meters, but you need club approval before shooting anything over .45 cal. If you are interested, let me know and I can look into getting approval. I would be happy to take you along as a guest in exchange for a chance to try that rifle!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, - go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
Samuel Adams
Philadelphia Statehouse
1 August 1776
Old July 26, 2008, 07:11 PM   #8
.22marlin

Found this on the website for Central Jersey Rifle and pistol club.

Quote:
NO SUCH PERMITS WILL BE ISSUED FOR CENTERFIRE .50 CALIBER RIFLES(black power rifles and pistols are permitted without a special use badge). The firing of any centerfire .50 caliber rifle IS NOT PERMITTED.
Guess I'll keep looking...
Old August 4, 2008, 12:56 PM   #9
ammoeater

Hmmm, I didn't see that. You might want to try calling the public Range 14 at Fort Dix. They are really cheap ($50/year) but the days and hours of operation are limited. They do have a 300 yd range, but I don't know about shooting .50's. Give them a call if you are interested, 609-562-4676.

I really don't think they would have a problem, since there are full-auto .50's going off constantly not far away, during maneuvers...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, - go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
Samuel Adams
Philadelphia Statehouse
1 August 1776
Old August 4, 2008, 05:30 PM   #10
.22marlin

range 14...

"firearm must be shoulderable" they classify the .50 cal as a NON-shoulderable weapon. Who makes up these ridiculous rules, and these ridiculous words "shoulderable"
Old October 9, 2008, 12:45 PM   #11
T. R. Allen

There is a 1000 yd range near me. Owned by the county. $3.00 day use fee. Of course you will have to come to Jackson county in Oregon. Oh, they have banned .50 bmg firearms because the drag strip on the other side of the hill on the right complained of the noise. Like you could hear a report with a dragster running the 1/4 mile. Also. they run at night and the range is only open during the day.
Old October 9, 2008, 01:24 PM   #12
Casimer

There's a 600yd in New Holland Pa and another in Bridgeville DE. These are both private ranges. I'm not sure of what their policies are regarding non-members and 50 caliber. It's my understanding that it's very hard to find ranges that will allow 50's.

I doubt that Central Jersey is going to allow you to use their ranges. They run a very tight ship.

Your best bet may be to find a 50 BMG forum and ask there.