The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Greg Di

What a difference! Hornady AP vs Loadmaster

I returned my whole Lee Loadmaster setup (over $450 worth of Lee stuff) to Midway because it drove me nuts.

I got my new Hornady AP setup last night and I cannot believe the difference between this press and the Loadmaster.

The cycling of the press is so buttery smooth. The dies are better. The priming system has NO PLASTIC parts and works every time. In fact, you can feel it working.

I should've spent the money from the get go on the Hornady.

My only hiccup right now is that my 9mm rounds aren't ejecting 100%, but I have not polished the shell plates either. I was just excited to load so quickly and positively.
Old January 9, 2008, 12:52 PM   #2
gus3836

I have had a Hornady LoL for several years they are great! Mind was off on the indexing so I sent it back to Hornady they repaired it and installed the newer primer stuff all with no charge. Every time I have had a question or problem they take care of it or send me the part or whatever. I would suggest you order a couple of extra springs for holding the cases in and as you use it check the tightness of the primer thumb screw it works loose after thosands of rounds no big deal just snug it up again. If you use a pencil eraser to push on the top it will not spin and will tightnen up better. Gus
Old January 10, 2008, 03:55 AM   #3
ldv444

Lee quality!

Lee let's down more people than all the other brands combined!
Old January 10, 2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Sevens

Obviously, that's an opinion that you couldn't possibly back up with facts. Not that it isn't true-- it could very well be true.

Here's another, likely just as accurate: Lee products get more folks started in reloading than all other makers combined. Some folks move on to other brands or upgrade bit by bit, others stick with their Lee equipment.

But there's a helluva lot of value in most all of the equipment made by Lee. If you don't believe that, my bet is that you haven't actually used a lot of it.

And the finest example is probably the Lee Classic Cast press. It's as heavy duty, large, rugged and bullet proof as any single stage press made, and it's a fraction the price of it's competitors. Butter smooth and will last generations.

Another example is the Lee Safety Scale. Looks cheap, even feels cheap, but works very, very well, is very accurate and easy to use, durable, functional, and it costs $20. Find another balance beam scale made by anyone for a price anywhere in that hemisphere. You won't.
Old January 10, 2008, 03:08 PM   #5
Alleykat

Hmmmm. Lee progressive press or a sharp stick in the eye?? Hmmmmm. That's a tough one! Congratulations to the OP for ditching that Lee p.o.s. and acquiring a quality press.
Old January 11, 2008, 12:06 AM   #6
Greg Di

I actually like the Lee product line and you are right, it did get me into reloading. I kept my 4-hole turret press because it works great.

Had I not needed to boost my rounds per hour output with a progressive, I'd still be content with the turret and Lee dies.

That being said, the difference in cost between Hornady and Lee is so obviously apparent when they are side by side, it's a no brainer. I would venture to guess that MOST people buy reloading equipment sight unseen over the net. You can't see or feel the difference until you see them...hence my original post.

Lee is not bad--it's serviceable. Hornady's fit and finish demands a higher price and now that I have it, I see the value in it. Time is money when you reload.
Old January 11, 2008, 09:19 AM   #7
Madmax1956

I have used a Lee Loadmaster for 16years and always swore by it. I saw other guys using Dillons and others that they paid a lo more for. I replaced the Ram twice, all the plastic bits many many times, really got the sh#ts when it would put a primer through the bottom where it rams up into the primer whole sideways, buggering that plastic piece, it was okay though I persisted and always had a stack of spares. Was loading mainly .38s for Service Comps, but the odd occasional .270, or 45ACP. Then I bought a 9mm H&K. The number of times I nearly pulled it off the bench and threw it through the wall was significant. I was having to push each shell into the shell plate individually while resizing/depriming as they were all sitting unevenly. A mate suggested the dreaded "D" word. The Loadmaster was loading my .460 perfectly, but not the 38s or the 9mms.
Christmas 2006 my wife bought me a Dillon 550RL. It takes a little longer to load, mind yu without the down time replacing plastic parts that's probably not correct. It's so smooth,predictable and metallic, haven't broken anything, load 9mm, 38, 460S&W, .270Win, .300Win Mag and .338LM. Not perfect by any means, still having consistent powder throwing issues in the larger calibers, but that's all. The Loadmaster was excellent for a longtime, then I actually looked at what else was available. Kept all the Lee Dies, they're excellent,

Max