The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 2, 2007, 11:31 PM   #26
BikerRN

BTW Biker RN, where did you get a IWB holster for a N-Frame? is that custom?

Right now I'm carrying the N-Frame OWB in a Matt Del Fatti Holster that he was nice enough to send me until he gets mine made.

I have a Summer Special II on order also from Milt Sparks, and that should be here in about three months. I've carried for over twenty years and have always preferred IWB. I just don't have an IWB for the N-Frame at the moment, so I take more care in "Dressing Around The Gun" than normal,that can be hard to do in the desert southwest. I "loaned" an old leather N-Frame IWB Holster to a "friend in need" since my previous post was typed.

As far as I know, all IWB's for an N-Frame are going to be "custom". I had an order in with Mark Garrity, but cancelled it after eight months of waiting. He had told me "three to four months." I'm patient, but not that patient. The only maker that I know of personally that delivers when they promise is Milt Sparks. Matt Del Fatti doesn't even promise when you will get it, but will give an estimate. The nice thing is, you can look on his website and it will tell you what month and year of holsters he is currently working on. Right now in September 2007 he is working on November 2005 orders.

Biker
Old September 2, 2007, 11:53 PM   #27
FLA2760

G27 IWB and Kel Tec P32 in pocket rig or on ankle.
Old September 3, 2007, 06:45 AM   #28
Kreyzhorse

I have two usual methods and a blue moon method.

Right now, OWB is my preferred mode at 8 o'clock. My usual carry is a Smith and Wesson 637 but will occasionally carry a Glock 22 in the same position with the same model holster; a Galco Fletch. I use this method about 70% of the time.

When I go IWB, I use a Bianchi Professional 100 IWB at the small of my back. This had been my usual carry mode until about 4 months ago and I use it about 30% of the time.

Over the winter, I'll pocket carry the Smith in a Don Hume pocket holster in my jacket pocket if I'm going to be out for a while without taking off my jacket. Easy to get to and I don't have to ask for a time out to remove my jacket so I can actually get to my gun.
Old September 3, 2007, 08:01 AM   #29
DWARREN123

Don Hume IWB and it moves around. I like it as a cross draw at my 10 o'clock position.
Old September 3, 2007, 08:50 AM   #30
Night Watch
Registration in progress

Quote:
Matt Del Fatti doesn't even promise when you will get it, but will give an estimate. The nice thing is, you can look on his website and it will tell you what month and year of holsters he is currently working on. Right now in September 2007 he is working on November 2005 orders.
Ain't that a damned shame! The man is a genius with leather. Everything I've bought from him has been extraordinarily functional, stylish, and perfectly made. I've already got enough holsters; and I'd like to get another custom knife sheath, too; but not if I've got to wait 2 years!

I guess when you're Matt Del Fatti, you just can't go out and hire other people to do what you do.

(So very well!)

Last edited by Night Watch; September 4, 2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old September 3, 2007, 09:48 AM   #31
chewie

Like Silentarmy said...ankle rig is worn on the inside of the weak side leg. Haven't tried wearing it on the outside of my shooting leg but imagine it would be somewhat more awkward.
Old September 3, 2007, 10:01 AM   #32
Jkwas

Lately, either Keltec in the pocket or Taurus PT111 in a fobus compact paddle on the hip. I've got more expensive rigs (wish I hadn't spent all that money) but this is how things evolved.

One thing I've concluded: For Concealed Carry, lighter is better, smaller is better. If you can't conceal it, you won't carry it.
Old September 3, 2007, 01:23 PM   #33
PJack

no professional gunman I know - not one - carries SOB. (I won't get into, 'Why'.)

Ok, I'm sorry but I have to ask the stupid question...Why not carry SOB? I'm not being a smart ass, but I've found it very comfortable for my frame.

I'm most comfortable (and I seem to have this nice space where) with the Glock 19 back there. I carry it IWB pointed straight down, not horizontal (maybe a slight canter). I also pull the holster and the grip a little to the 5:30 position so it's amost above the top inside of my right hip pocket.

On my non-working days I'll carry it there all day, I can draw nicely from that position, (probably 3 times slower then OWB strong side) however at least I'm armed.

I tried IWB at 3:00 position the other night, went out to eat and the little chairs had arms on them and me and the gun didn't fit. So I ended up sitting sideways until I could push the damn thing back far enough. Maybe the problem is what I'm carrying, and it's just too thick.

I'm beginning to like the Kel-Tec in the pocket idea. Do you guys trust these little things?

Last edited by PJack; September 3, 2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old September 3, 2007, 01:55 PM   #34
Hallucinator

Desantis Cosy Partner IWB at 3 O'clock. Either Sig 228 or Glock 23.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.
Old September 3, 2007, 02:34 PM   #35
Jkwas

Quote:
I'm beginning to like the Kel-Tec in the pocket idea. Do you guys trust these little things?
I had my reservations. But after researching their warranty and customer service, combined with the shear number of people I know that are carrying them, including guys that work at gun shops, I took the plunge.

I bought mine last week, and shot it for the first time on saturday. Put 75 rounds downrange accurately from 10-20ft, point shooting with one hand. Recoil was about equal to a snub revolver shooting 38+p.

This thing is a real gun! I was very impressed to the point of dis-belief! I didn't have one problem. I left the range with a big smile on my face, took it home, gave it a good cleaning, loaded it up, and it's been in my pocket ever since.
Old September 3, 2007, 11:39 PM   #36
Night Watch
Registration in progress

Quote:
Ok, I'm sorry but I have to ask the stupid question...Why not carry SOB? I'm not being a smart ass, but I've found it very comfortable for my frame.
You want me to answer this one, huh! I really don't want to. I'm presently enrolled in a, 'GT recovery program' and have promised myself that I'm no longer going to respond to such statements as: 'Glocks are no more likely to go, kaBoom! than any other pistol.' 'It's a brick unless you carry chambered.' 'There is no God.' and 'Your real safety is between your ears!'

The truth is that, actually, I like SOB holsters - I really do! In all probability, I'd be one of the very last people to attempt to stop you or anybody else from carrying in your favorite SOB position. The only proviso is that YOU have to be wearing it there instead of me. 'Why' you may ask? Well ... If I need to take control of a bad situation, quickly, you're going to be my first target. If I need to get to someone else's gun quickly, once again, you're on the list of first targets!

(Don't doubt it! I assure you there are plenty of experienced people, out there, who would take your pistol AND break your back, all, in the same straightforward move.)

If you sit down while armed this way, you're at a disadvantage. If you bend over, forget about not patterning by bending with the same side knee because it won't work. If you have to reach for something, forget about reaching with the opposite arm because that won't work, either. If an, ‘old friend’ smiles as he walks up to you and greets you with a hug, then, he’s also going to be able to instantly disarm you.

You're at risk whenever you expose your back to an audience; so spots like: lunch counters, walkup windows, front rows, aisle seats, and front of the line are, all, high risk locations; and, forget about walking upstairs in front of people – That’s definitely out! You CANNOT prevent a quick grab by pressing your elbow into your side or blading away from the danger. You've got to throw your elbow out from your body, sharply twist your wrist, and lean slightly forward - often into the threat - in order to bring the weapon into action.

If you should accidentally fall, backwards, onto an SOB piece, you might very well regret the decision to carry that way for the rest of your life. What is more, very few other gunmen are going to want to be on the line with you, once they realize you're holstering behind your back.

May I stop, now; or do you need to look above, again, in order to check on what I carry at 4:00 o'clock all day long? Do you think there are no chairs with arms that I never have to deal with? The statement; 'At least I'm armed!' is no different than; 'Well, I almost made it!' or; 'I had my gun on me when the whole thing began!'

Don't, also, carry OWB at 3:00 o'clock; that's strictly for uniformed police; or else, it's a firing line carry. Buy your gun belts 2" oversized with 7 rather than 5 holes; and get yourself a comfortable IWB/ITB holster. Tuck the butt of the pistol into your kidney area and get used to carrying this way.

I always order my holsters with a 15 degree forward cant, and 1 3/4" belt loops. My gun belts are 1 1/2" wide. This way I can easily adjust the cant on the holster or slide the weapon, either, forward or backward in order to accommodate wherever I'm sitting.

By the way, they're not called, 'mouse guns' for no good reason. Now, does this do it for ya? (And don't make me sorry I answered your question - OK!)

Old September 4, 2007, 09:58 AM   #37
Musketeer

I am in an office enviorement where the idea of carry has not even been entertained because the occurance of it is so rare and the area so NY Leftist Liberal that nobody expects it. While not against company policy and not illegal if it were learned it would result in a policy and lots of problems...

For that reason I use a couple methods.

1. K&D IWB tuckable Dakota Defender with a 5" 1911 10mm, spare mag in pocket.
2. Firestar M43 9mm in a Blade Tech tuckable UCH. Spare mag in pocket.
3. S&W Model 60 with two Bianchi Speed Strips in a SmartCarry

Being in NY there is incentive to not use a double stack since only pre-ban hicap mags are legal here. Even then though a double stack is too large to be comfortable in my hand and is just too big for me to easily conceal with a tuckable. Both the tuckables work fine, the leather K&D being more comfortable while the Kydex Blade Tech smaller and I find no problem driving with the smartcarry and a Model 60.

If using the smartcarry with a Glock please use the little trigger block that Clipdraw has out for it. You do not want a ND in your shorts!

When concealing with a tuckable blouse your shirt slightly so it helps conceal the clips. You can also jury rig a cell phone holder to cover a clip. I had an old holder super glued to the UCH clip to completely conceal it.

Get a good belt. I have a Don Hume black trouser belt 1 1/4" wide that is great and was only around $40. You will know the difference between this an a normal belt as soon as you feel the leather. This sucker is thick and firm. Black should be the color of choice.

When possible wear shirts with prints, patterns or stripes. Also go for colors, it is easy enough to wear blue dress shirts as well as other colors in an office enviorement. Save the white shirt and tie for when you are also going to wear a jacket that can help conceal any sign of a dark gun under a white shirt. Get your shirts a little larger, no sloppy though, in order to conceal the bulge. Darker slacks are better but you can get away whith Khakis if you pick the shirt properly and use a black belt.

Never SOB. Aside from the pain of a fall and in sitting there is a major concealment problem... you never know if you are flashing or printing, but everyone in your rear arc does know! Don't do it.

Posture is key. Learn to stand so people will not spot you printing. Learn to position yourself so people will not bump into your right side. Always have a notepad or something with you to hold on your "gun side" to help camoflague a possible print. Do not bend to pick up but kneel.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old September 4, 2007, 10:10 AM   #38
Night Watch
Registration in progress

And, whenever someone attempts to place their arms around you - like when the boss wants to give you an, 'atta boy' - be sure to place your arms out, too. UNDERNEATH the arms of the person who's about to hug you.
Old September 4, 2007, 11:07 AM   #39
Justme

Quote:
...P32 in the front pocket
+1

I have an sp101 too, which I carry OWB under a loose shirt sometimes(like on my way to the range), but frankly prefer the keltec for everyday carry, weight is a big issue.
Old September 4, 2007, 11:46 AM   #40
threadbare

Glock 19 appendix at about 1-1:30 in a FIST cantable clip hybrid (ultra thin kydex on the inside and leather laminated on the out side)
Old September 4, 2007, 03:56 PM   #41
tegemu

A Kimber .45 Cal. Ultra Carry II, 1911 in a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com pocket holster in my right front poacket, and a spare mag in a homemade mag pouch in my left front pocket.
Old September 6, 2007, 04:24 PM   #42
Shamalama

I carry a Kel-Tec PF-9 (9mm) in my front pants pocket. Everyday.

Dress slacks, jeans, shorts - any time I'm out of my house. Period.

I understand people that have to abide by "company policy" and not being allowed to protect themselves because I'm in the same situation. I also have "federal policy" to deal with, so I completely understand needing to remain in deep concealment.

But at the same time I do not want to go around unarmed. For my particular situation a BUG or mousegun becomes my primary as concealment becomes more important than firepower. But it beats the heck out of a sharpened pencil.
Old September 9, 2007, 09:32 PM   #43
drinks

I carry a P-3AT, front pocket.
I tried a DeSantis, not comfortable, an Uncle Mike's, wore ok, but I could not pull the gun out without the holster coming along for the trip.
Heard about Migl's, he was busy but got me a really comfortable pocket holster in about 3 weeks, good price, too.
Haband sells an elastic waist band pair of slacks, just what a short, fat person such as me needs, that has a so called "change pocket" in the right front pocket that is just right for a P-3 AT or even a lightweight .38 snubby, check out the web site.
Old September 10, 2007, 06:26 PM   #44
mordis

Tanzer, You make a awefully assertive opinion there bud. Do you have any proof of a CIVILIAN becoming target number one to a bad guy due to open carry. With out any proof or cites, your opinion is just that a unsupported opinion and opinions are like arseholes everyone has them and they all stink. Sure it happens to LEO, but we are not leo's we dont go chasing after the worst society has to offer. No one can can really claim either way that it is or isnt more dangerous. Due to the lack of any crimes or incidents involving CIVILIANs O/cing.

There for you have no business insulting someones method of carry, and then telling him he is target numberone with out any conclusive proof. The very fact he is still drawing air and typing here is proof that is wasnt target number one. Considering as a armed guard i o/c all the time, and im still here is proof of that. There is something to say for open deterence of crime, which is the premis that a armed guard operates under. Were nothing more then civilians in fancy shirts and pants.

After working in some of the worst places my city has to offer, I have learned what to look for when people are casing a place. usualy one look at me and my large pistol and the car tends to peel out faster then a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

I hate the endless OC bashing, oc'ers dont bash cc'ers even tho there is evedence, of people who cc, not being able to draw there peice in time, due to having to dick with the clothing ontop of there gun, and other objects on there person impeding the draw. None of those things affect a O/C'er.

Like it hate it love it, what ever your opinion on oc as a pro second ammendment and RKBA person you should always support the right of the person to choose what ever method of carry suits them the best for any given moment with out insulting them. Just becuase O/C doest suit you, dosent me it dosent suit him. There shouldnt be any infighting on this issue, we should be a united front in the RKBA frount.Not squabiling over weather or not oc is good or bad, there are far more important issues to deal with. Like how to mitigate the damage the next and almost guaranteed to be democratic president will do to RKBA
Old September 10, 2007, 06:35 PM   #45
mordis

Nightwatch, I tried that whole carry your gun in the kidney area, and while it is ok. I find that anything from 4:00 on i feel like im sitting on my gun, i can just feel it digging into my back when i sit down. So i carry at 3:00 with a forward cant. Sometimes, carry weakside cross draw at about 10:30 but thats just not very good for cc/oc either way, tho the draw is fast. When i go out with both my full sized guns on, ill have the M15-3 at 3:00 with a forward cant and my Glock 17 at around 10-1030 with a slight cant. Not forgetting a large shirt.

Being a large Framed man, i could never figure out how people on here carried at 4:00 or later, every time i do it i feel like im sitting on the gun, with it pressing into my back. I would appreciate some advice there. Using a Black widow for the M15-3 and that one bianchi leather with the weird thinger activated retention button whose name escapes me.
Old September 10, 2007, 07:14 PM   #46
Silentarmy

Open carriers are as difficult to spot as a bald guy with a bad sunburn. If I was engaged in a criminal act you can be sure that you will take the first bullet while standing there looking like Butch Cassidy! This is not directed at any one person in particular, just saying that the obvious will get you killed first while the element of suprise will ALWAYS give one the advantage. LEO's I have worked with are mostly of the opinion that Wannabe's are hazardous to themselves and others and OC makes one look that part.
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"
Old September 10, 2007, 08:15 PM   #47
P97

I carry IWB at 3:00 o'clock in a Milt Sparks VM2HS and I weigh 246 lbs. Carry full time and have for a number of years.
Old September 10, 2007, 10:19 PM   #48
Night Watch
Registration in progress

Quote:
Originally posted by Mordis
Nightwatch, I tried that whole carry your gun in the kidney area, and while it is ok. I find that anything from 4:00 on i feel like im sitting on my gun, i can just feel it digging into my back when i sit down. So i carry at 3:00 with a forward cant. Sometimes, carry weakside cross draw at about 10:30 but thats just not very good for cc/oc either way, tho the draw is fast. When i go out with both my full sized guns on, ill have the M15-3 at 3:00 with a forward cant and my Glock 17 at around 10-1030 with a slight cant. Not forgetting a large shirt.

Being a large Framed man, i could never figure out how people on here carried at 4:00 or later, every time i do it i feel like im sitting on the gun, with it pressing into my back. I would appreciate some advice there. Using a Black widow for the M15-3 and that one bianchi leather with the weird thinger activated retention button whose name escapes me.
I don't think that's 4:00 o'clock; I think it's, more like, 5:00 o'clock. Still, a lot depends on how you're built. I'm a big guy, too. I like the feeling of having the gun butt pressing into my kidney - Not the whole gun! I use a 15 degree forward cant holster, too.

Wouldn't you agree that carrying just off the point of your hip (off 3:00 o'clock) is a better way to go? If I weren't worried about, 'showing' or getting my gun grabbed, I'd probably appendix carry, too.

Yeah, my Hawaiian shirts are always unbloused too. I, also, don't button the bottom 2 buttons so that I can sweep the shirt.
Old September 10, 2007, 10:42 PM   #49
Diesel1

I carry either a Glock 22 in 40 S&W or a Ruger SP 101. The Ruger will go into my front pocket more often than not. The Glock and the Ruger also both get carried IWB (inside waist band) in an Elite Survival Systems IWB holster.
Old September 11, 2007, 09:17 AM   #50
moredes15

You don't say what your dress requirements are, nor what state you live in. If you can work in blue jeans and a light jacket or sports coat, I'd suggest an IWB and a single-stack auto. I carried a CCO (Officer framed-Commander slide) in a AKJ Concealco IWB and have just moved over to a NM holster for it's better cant and ability to conceal. The change to a steeper cant made carry quite a bit more comfortable, too.

If you're in an environment where you sometimes have to remove the outer upper garment, I'd suggest the already-recommended J-frame (or other light gun) in an ankle holster inside the weak leg. It ain't fast, but at least it's always on your person, and no slower than a briefcase.