The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 11, 2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Jseime

Rodent Shooters

A buddy and I took our SKSs out to a patch of gophers that havent been shot at for a long time and are quite stupid and did a little shooting yesterday. Ranges were from 100 yards to six inches from the barrel. We each burned about 60 rounds and I wont tell you how many hits we actually made. I like to use my .270 for gophers and rabbits too.

Does anyone else like to shoot rodents with rediculous calibers?
Old June 11, 2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Scorch

When I lived in Nevada years back, we would organize "Big Bore Bunny Busts", with nothing under .375 caliber allowed. There were an awful lot of old BP cartridge rifles, single shots, levers, side by sides, and bolt actions, in a dizzying array of calibers from 38-55 Winchesters to Paradox guns to old European military BP rounds, up to and including 450 NE. I used to participate with a 375 H&H Mark X Mauser. What happens to a jackrabbit when it gets hit by a 250 gr bullet is not easy to put into words.

I have shot everything from chucks with a 22 LR, to tiny ground squirrels with a 45-caliber rifle. My favorite is still my 22-250, which will turn a large squirrel into mist in an instant. I have sat in one spot for up to 8 hours, shooting as much as I could endure for days at a time, then spent evenings reloading so I could do it again the next day. Start out with 1,500 rounds, shoot 300 rounds a day, and reload as many as possible before exhaustion sets in. Next day, get up before light and do it all over again. Sometime around day 7 or 8 you run out of ammo, pack up and go home.
Old June 12, 2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Jseime

Thats pretty impressive I thought that rabbits made an extra large smear with a 130 grain .270.
Old June 12, 2007, 04:59 PM   #4
boltgun71

I used to use my .300 Win Mag for shooting woodchucks all the time. The 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips that screamed out of the barrel had very impressive results on the woodchucks.
Old June 12, 2007, 05:29 PM   #5
taylorce1

I've used my .50 and .54 caliber ML with patched round ball to shoot prarie dogs. Not much of a splatter but they sure do tumble well.
Old June 12, 2007, 09:47 PM   #6
crowbeaner

Back about 15 years ago a longtime friend and I were discussing powerful rifles and their effect on various game animals. At that particular time my most powerful rifle was a Remington 700 in .300 Win mag. After numerous chides and outright insults I produced the 300 and some loads with the 130 Speer HP. I think the charge was 74.0 of 4350. At any rate we headed to one of the nearest alfalfa seedings to set up a target. Lo and behold,there was a woodchuck engaged in breaking the 11th commandment of "Thou shalt not dig holes in thy Farmer's field". I settled into my prone position, handed my 10x50s to my friend and told him to watch the chuck. There was the BOOM and a pink mist in the air. Sad to say Mr. chuck all but disappeared. My bud looked at me and declared that I was a sicko. He then asked if he could have next shot. I sheepishly agreed. Honestly there was an orange tongue of flame halfway to the chuck. I sincerely doubt lightning could have done better.
Old June 13, 2007, 02:01 AM   #7
bcarver

44 mag

When I was in college we shot free range chickens with a 44 mag Super Redhawk.
Old June 13, 2007, 11:42 PM   #8
Sgt.Fathead

Yankee

My house has a half hand dug and then partially finished Yankee basement. So, the front half has some dirt headers, now enclosed in cinder block walls and concreted over, and the back half, below the addition, is a standard height block wall foundation, all with a poured concrete floor. In a few spots, damn chipmunks were boring in and trying to settle down! So, I shoot 'em as often as I see 'em, head shots with a scoped 1000fps air rifle.

Then I field dress the little nibblers and cape them out. My friend CJ makes little chipmunk rugs out of them. I'll have to post pictures. Our next project is going to be stuffing and mounting a few, miniature plaque mounts for small spaces or truck dashboards. I'm going to have to make chest shots on them.

I know, I know. Seek help.