The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 13, 2017, 11:39 PM   #1
FLChinook

Any idea on the value of an Aguirre & Aranzabal?

I have a very nice, basic Aguirre & Aranzabal (Spanish) AYA Yoeman S/S, double triggers, selective ejectors, case hardened finish, wonderful walnut with extensive checkering. Only touches of engraving on and around some of the screws. One-owner, purchased around 1985 in Scotland.

I also have what seems to be a much nicer Lincoln (Italian) No. 2, blued but with a silvery finish on the receiver, O/U, with extensive engraving. This was purchased used around 1990, also in Scotland.

Both are 12-Ga. I only wish to keep one but I have no idea of their valuations. Neither is in the Blue Book. Neither have examples currently in GunBroker.

Can anyone suggest approximate values? If anyone asks, I'll try to remember how to upload pictures and I'll post a few.

Thanks
Old October 14, 2017, 08:17 AM   #2
FITASC

Pics would help; who is the maker of the Italian gun? Which one are you keeping? Don't base your decision on money value; rather base it on which one FITS you the best.

Are they both sidelock or boxlock?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 14, 2017, 09:00 AM   #3
FLChinook

Here are three pics from the AYA. I'll add three of the Lincoln next.

Both shotguns fit me well. The Lincoln has fancier engraving but the AYA has a better grade of walnut. I'm not sure about the type of lock; looks like box lock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AYA Shotgun 1.jpg (51.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg AYA Shotgun 10.jpg (77.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg AYA Shotgun 4.jpg (78.3 KB, 34 views)
Old October 14, 2017, 09:04 AM   #4
FLChinook

Here's the Lincoln...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lincoln 1.jpg (27.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Lincoln 8.jpg (112.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Lincoln 10.jpg (72.3 KB, 26 views)
Old October 14, 2017, 09:48 AM   #5
Ricklin

Pattern board

How do you use these guns? What load do you shoot the most?

Take both of them and a box of your preferred load and pattern the guns, keep the one that patterns the best for you.
Old October 14, 2017, 10:02 AM   #6
FLChinook

I’ve shot both guns; obviously, they’re different. But either will nicely suit my needs. What I’d like to learn about is what are they worth? I can find nothing about either. Thanks
Old October 14, 2017, 10:37 AM   #7
FITASC

Both look to be in nice condition.

Quote:
Lincoln shotguns are made by F.A.I.R (Fabbrica Armi Isidoro Rizzini) in Marcheno, (Brescia) Italy, who have specialized in the manufacture of functional and highly reliable sports and hunting shotguns since 1971.

The Lincoln brand was established over 25 years ago with the No.2 model, a shotgun renowned for its reliability and solidity. These features are today applied to every model in the range, with the Lincoln Premier being the direct upgrade of that original and much loved Lincoln No.2.

While following in the tradition of centuries-old Italian gun manufacturing, F.A.I.R has always focused on applying the latest state-of-the-art mechanical and technical innovation from the international shotgun industry to its production process. Mechanical bodies are designed and developed following extensive research and development, in partnership with clients across the globe. This enables F.A.I.R to offer a wide range of sporting guns, attuned to the requirements of different hunting and competition disciplines. The top-ranking manufacturing skills at F.A.I.R mean that Lincoln shotguns are and continue to be awarded widespread praise and appreciation.
http://www.lincolnshotguns.com/about-us

FAIR is the lower-middle Rizzini family guns. Still decent but not a B. Rizzini or F. illi Rizzini. Current catalog shows no DT guns, so I am assuming this gun has a few years on it, especially a O/U with DT. I am also assuming it has fixed chokes like the AyA; what are they? There will be marks on the side of the barrel, with 1 * being Full down to 4* being IC
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 14, 2017, 10:38 AM   #8
FITASC

On the barrel flats and water table of the AyA there should be various markings; one should indicate a date, others will indicate chamber length and choke, etc. - same for the Rizzini
Old October 14, 2017, 04:41 PM   #9
FLChinook

There are more markings on the AYA:
Inside an oval: 12 70
E 2 900 Kp/cm
1420 gmos
S/N 582070

On the Lincoln No. 2:
S/N 36355 ER
Top Barrel: CAM 75 18.4
Bottom Barrel: KG 370 18.4
Old October 18, 2017, 11:08 AM   #10
FLChinook

AYA Yeoman & Lincoln No. 2 Valuations

My quest continues to get (even crude) valuations for these two shotguns.

AYA replied to my email and I can summarize: 12-Ga AYA Yeoman Ejector Boxlock; 28" Barrels; 3" Chamber; F/M; Minimal engraving; Case hardened finish; Manufactured 1985. From AYA Email 10/17/18, "Production of this model was stopped a long time ago"

Lincoln replied to my email and simply said, "we took over Lincolns in 2008, and the serial number is before that date. So older "Lincolns" are not the same as newer "Lincolns". Mine was probably circa 1975. It has 27" barrels; 3" chambers; extensive engraving; Ventilated rib.

Neither are in the Blue Book. Similar examples of each can be found on international sales sites: a ST AYA Yeoman wants $1275 and a ST Lincoln No. 2 wants $391

Does anyone have US selling/buying experience with either?

Thanks
Old October 18, 2017, 12:13 PM   #11
FITASC

Quote:
There are more markings on the AYA:
Inside an oval: 12 70
E 2 900 Kp/cm
1420 gmos
S/N 582070
Barrel diameter is 18.4 mm; *=Full, ***=M
900kp/cm is the pressure rating
Old October 18, 2017, 01:32 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

Your AYA is a $1000 shotgun. How's that?
Old October 20, 2017, 04:38 PM   #13
BigJimP

I don't have any selling or buying experience with either one...although I have seen them around once in a while....at local clubs / but not for quite a few years.

In general, fixed choke guns are not in high demand.../ but the 3" chambers are a plus for a field grade gun. Both of these guns are "not in the mainstream" of shotguns folks want or are looking for ..so you'll have to get them to take a chance on one of them based on price typically.

In general, in my area, both guns will be difficult to sell... but I think $ 600 -
$ 750 is more likely on the AYA...and the other one, I really don't know ...but based on the list price you got from the mfg.... $ 100 - $ 200 probably.

Take them to a gun club in your area...where guys are looking for used Field Guns...or maybe an extra gun for a young shooter / a gun where they can cut a stock down for a kids gun...and you'll find some buyers ( especially if you let them put a couple of shells thru them to test fire them ...)....

If they both work for you personally...sell the one you can get the most money for...