The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 14, 2017, 02:34 PM   #1
Andrewsky

1952 Winchester 1894 .30-30

A local shop has one of these, looks like okay condition with little blueing remaining on the receiver. The price is $470. Should I?
Old October 14, 2017, 03:19 PM   #2
Lucas McCain

That is an excellent price for a 1894.
Couple questions, because I don't think they built any 1894 models in 1952.
Does it say model 1894 on the tang below the hammer?
Is the barrel round or octagon?
What caliber does it show? 30WCF or 30-30?
What butt plate is on it? Crescent or straight metal? The saddle ring had a wrap around on the top.
Is there a metal cap on the front of the forearm?
Are the barrel bands round or square looking?

It could be a model 94 and if it is that still isn't a bad price.
Old October 14, 2017, 06:16 PM   #3
COSteve

More important than what specifically it is, what condition is the action, chamber, rifling, and muzzle in?

What condition is the action in? Is it relatively tight and crisp when cycled or sloppy and floppy? Does it feed and cycle ammo correctly?

What is the trigger like? Crisp and smooth or gritty?

What condition is the hammer action in? Does it cock back smoothly and surely? Does the ½ cock work? Will it hold the hammer back when you engage it and then pull the trigger?

Is the chamber and bore bright and smooth or dark and pitted? Is the crown at the muzzle clean and even or worn from a steel cleaning rod? Take a M2 ball (150grn 30-06 round) and stick the bullet down the muzzle. You should see about ¼" of the bullet showing before the case mouth.
Old October 14, 2017, 08:20 PM   #4
Scorch

Just a nit-pick.

There is no such thing as a 1952 Winchester model 1894. About 1927, Winchester changed the designation to Model 94. You are looking at a Winchester Model 94. It says so on the barrel.

$470 seems a bit high, but the market in your area might bear that price.

Quote:
Take a M2 ball (150grn 30-06 round) and stick the bullet down the muzzle.

No, don't shove anything down the muzzle! If you did that in my shop, I would tell you to leave.
Old October 14, 2017, 11:49 PM   #5
Andrewsky

Thanks for the posts. I know virtually nothing about these and didn't take a picture, so I will have to keep these questions in mind when I return.
Old October 15, 2017, 07:17 AM   #6
jmr40

There was a time when I'd have thought the price was too high. But good examples of 94's from that era don't show up very often. I'd say the price is on the higher end of acceptable. But if in good shape, I liked it and I couldn't get the seller to come down I'd probably pay the price.

Winston Churchill
Old October 15, 2017, 07:29 AM   #7
RIDE-RED 350r

In my opinion, $470 is not out of line at all for a post-war pre-64 model 94 if the only issue is worn blueing on the receiver. I've seen people much more proud of their pre-64s than that
Old October 15, 2017, 08:04 AM   #8
eastbank

the bullet test will not hurt a thing, you do not shove the bullet in with any amont of pressure and as the bullet jacket is copper and much,much more softer than the barrel steel. I use the bullet test on any used firearm I may buy, a m-1 garand I was thinking of buying failed the test as a matter of fact a 8mm bullet entered the muzzle quite a bit. eastbank.
Old October 15, 2017, 09:13 AM   #9
kraigwy

Quote:
No, don't shove anything down the muzzle! If you did that in my shop, I would tell you to leave.
Not sure how long you would remain in business. Its quite common for people to use a muzzle gage on used guns to check for muzzle wear. Esp on the M-94 type rifles that require cleaning from the muzzle end.

The poster mentioned using 30 cal ball ammo to check the muzzle wear. That bullet is softer then the barrel, it thats gonna hurt the rifling, you have other problems, since the same type material would be use for shooting it.

To the OP, $470?? I'd jump on that in a heart beat. But to be honest, I'm a huge fan of old Winchesters.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 15, 2017, 12:43 PM   #10
Lucas McCain

Word of caution; if you do the bullet test on a 32 Winchester special it will go in and stop when the cartridge case hits the muzzle. That will happen on a brand new unfired rifle. It the way they are made, and nothing's wrong or worn just a good 32 Winchester Special.
Old October 15, 2017, 02:28 PM   #11
Pathfinder45

You could politely offer $400.
Old October 17, 2017, 05:44 PM   #12
COSteve

Quote:
As a matter of fact, my local gunshop keeps a box of M2 ball ammo around just so people can test the muzzle. I have a dummy M2 ball round (no powder or primer) as I handload them for my Garand.

I take it to the gunshops and ask to use to check the muzzle of a prospective rifle. I've never been refused the request to use it once I show them it's a dummy rd. If I was refused, I'd figure the gunshop was trying to hide something and turn and walk out.