The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 29, 2017, 07:59 PM   #1
jcolon95

Winchester sxp upgrade question

I have a Winchester SXP 12 gauge shot gun. Are there any upgrades for this shotgun. I would like to put a tactical stock and maybe ghost rings. Any info would be appreciated.
Old August 29, 2017, 08:32 PM   #2
FITASC

If you do a Google search and then hit "images" you'll see many versions with aftermarket accessories ( I HATE the term "tactical")

Of course, you might try running it as is for a bit to see how you like it.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 30, 2017, 08:15 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

Most if not all of those after market "accessories" do one major thing,
drain your wallet.

And fill the wallet of the makers. If they make it and call it "tactical'
someone will buy it!
Old August 30, 2017, 11:07 AM   #4
jcolon95

Okay forget tactical I'd like to put a collapsible stock with a pistol grip has anyone done this with a Winchester SXP for better recoil cushioning

Last edited by jcolon95; August 30, 2017 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Adding to it
Old August 30, 2017, 03:05 PM   #5
FITASC

What loads are you using in it now? (And for what purpose?) There are ways to reduce recoil via ammo selection and gun fit.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 30, 2017, 04:07 PM   #6
Ricklin

12 vs. 20

Reading is fundamental. Remember RIF?

Take a moment to look at the velocity and the payload of your shotshells. The velocity will be very similar across the various gauges, typically between 1000-1500 FPS. What can differ is the weight of the shot or the weight of the slug.

Even then there are 20 gauge loads that will equal a 12 gauge. Esp. if you include 3" 20 gauge.

Recoil is about the weight of the shot charge, and the weight of the shotgun. The velocity is Approx. the same. Yes the velocity CAN differ, and that is true of all the different gauges.

Also remember as the gauge goes down, the weight of the shotgun usually goes down with it.

My point is don't buy in to 20 gauge for recoil reduction, a 20 can kick harder than a 12.

I keep it simple, a heavy gun, and no more velocity than what I need to break clay's with authority. For me that's an ounce of 8's at about 1150.

Oh and that other ingredient........a gun that fits the shooter. In fact this is the most important. Both for comfort, and your score.

I remember my little brother borrowing my very lightweight 3" 20 ga. Kicked the snot out of him. He was thinking, it's a 20 gauge and they don't kick hard.
Old August 30, 2017, 05:21 PM   #7
FITASC

Most 20s of equal type compared to a 12 are at least 1# lighter. There are several recoil calculators on the web so you can see how much MORE recoil can be involved. I shoot a lot of clay targets. I shoot a 8# gas gun (Beretta) and for practice, I shoot a 3/4 load (equal to 28 gauge) running right at 1275. I get a clean-burning, hard-hitting payload with very minimal recoil. I shoot it all day long, and being older, my shoulder appreciates the lack of brutality towards it........
Old August 31, 2017, 10:50 AM   #8
jcolon95

Well your are right with rif. I did find out about the different loads. I shot 3" 000 mag buck and i thought my shoulder would fall off. I i also shot 2 3/4 00 buck it did feel better on the shoulder. I am using the winchester SXP mostly for home defence. I was thinking of putting a collapsible with recoil support to shoot slugs and for other family member to fit them. Anyone know a good stock i can purchase?
Old August 31, 2017, 12:05 PM   #9
FITASC

You might look into some of those lower recoil defensive buckshot loads as well. Every little less in payload and velocity adds up to a lot less recoil.