The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 25, 2017, 08:30 AM   #1
Eazyeach

Carbine training for regular folks?

Does anyone know where to get some "real world " carbine training? I live in the Dayton,Ohio region. I live in the country so I keep an AR15 for home defense/varmint control and would like to get some professional training. The only problem is all the training I find is like paramilitary/swat team stuff that while it seems like fun, it just doesn't fit my philosophy of use. Long gun training seems like it goes from basic hunter ed to straight up super commando team tactics with nothing in between.

None other than the Travis Haley is having a d5 carbine class relatively close to me. ( NE Indiana) 1.5 hours away. And it looks like fun but would I learn any pertinent information or is it just going to be another operator fantasy camp?
Old July 25, 2017, 09:41 AM   #2
g.willikers

Tiger Mckee at Shoot Rite in Alabama has civilian carbine classes.
Purty sure John Farnham does at defense-training, too.
Easy enough to check for sure.
Old July 25, 2017, 12:16 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Super commando team tactics is what sells to the assorted mall ninjas.
Might be an idea if you spelt out exactly what kind of training you want. Might be an idea to look into Appleseed shooting though. Says $150 for the week long Rifleman's Boot Camp. Not stupid expensive. (Cost me that much 30 years go to go to Second Chance. Best vacation I've ever had. Mind you .there were machine guns involved. snicker.) No idea about living arrangements though.
https://appleseedinfo.org/
Old July 25, 2017, 01:50 PM   #4
agtman

Quote:
Does anyone know where to get some "real world " carbine training? I live in the Dayton, Ohio region. I live in the country so I keep an AR15 for home defense/varmint control and would like to get some professional training. The only problem is all the training I find is like paramilitary/swat team stuff that while it seems like fun, it just doesn't fit my philosophy of use. Long gun training seems like it goes from basic hunter ed to straight up super commando team tactics with nothing in between. * * *
I don't believe you're located too far from from Tactical Defense Institute (TDI). About 1-hour east of Cincinnati in Adams Cty Ohio. Great reviews. Google them and check out their website.

TDI's AR training is directed primarily to the "average Joe" who wants to reach a level of competence with his carbine or rifle that's suitable for personal, family, and home or property defense, not induction into a high-speed uber-tacticool Navy SEAL Commando unit.

TDI's basic (entry level) 3-day course, called Tactical Rifle I, would be the place to start. They offer more advanced courses after that.

Hope this helps.
Old July 25, 2017, 02:16 PM   #5
Eazyeach

I've been to the TDI website and the carbine classes are full. Good to know that it is geared toward average citizens, some of the reviews made it seem like a tacticool operator type deal. Maybe I need to do some more research.
Old July 25, 2017, 06:21 PM   #6
hdwhit

Quote:
T O'Heir wrote:
Super commando team tactics is what sells to the assorted mall ninjas.
I wholeheartedly agree. The guys that teach the classes have mortgages and car payments just like the rest of us, so they have to sell what the crowd demands.

Of course, the instructors who haven't so immersed themselves in what they're selling that they have lost touch with reality are probably just aching to teach a realistic course - if there was a demand for it. Get a few friends together and see if one of the local "Seal Team 6 Wannabe" class instructors would like to give a sensible class for a change of pace. You might be surprised.
Old July 25, 2017, 06:31 PM   #7
hdwhit

Quote:
agtman wrote:
Tactical Defense Institute (TDI)...Google them and check out their website.
The website is: http://tdiohio.com

Their Tactical Rifle I class is three days and costs $750. According to the website, all sessions scheduled for 2017 are already fully booked.

The course as described on the website is:
Quote:
A favorite! Instruction covers loading, ready-carry positions, malfunction clearing, trigger management techniques for both semi-auto and select-fire weapons, quick-fire and precision shooting techniques, shooting on-the-move, and angle and position shooting. Work with the weapon in both an urban and rural environment. Low-level light, multiple live-fire house and jungle lane exercises top off this fun course. NOTE: Civilians using Class III weapons must bring ATF paperwork for validation check.

Ammunition requirements: 1800 rounds minimum
Old July 26, 2017, 07:57 AM   #8
briandg

I know a guy who worked guard duty on a nuke plant. Those guy covered everything from popping wild hogs to running through smoke and flames with flir while in full nuclear hazmat equipment.

Contact NRA, if anyone has that information, it will be them. I have a professional trainer here in town, even that does carbine training like you are looking for.
Old July 26, 2017, 11:20 AM   #9
bassJAM1

I'll have to keep TDI in mind, that's less than an hour away for me. I keep thinking about doing some sort of training.
Old July 26, 2017, 11:31 AM   #10
g.willikers

Quote:
some of the reviews made it seem like a tacticool operator type deal.
If others in your family are going to get involved, then knowing team tactics is necessary.
But it's also very dangerous to learn.
Probably better to practice with something non lethal, like airsoft, at least at first.
Old August 8, 2017, 12:38 PM   #11
rburch

Grant Cunningham has a Perimeter Defense Rifle class that sounds like what you are wanting. I'm not sure if he's teaching it in your area anytime soon but you might check with him.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old August 8, 2017, 01:12 PM   #12
MarkCO

Or search out a 2Gun or Carbine action shooting match. A few matches and your gun handling skills will be beyond most "instructors".

Then you can take a half day varmint course and a half day tactics course.

I just got to RO a great groups of guys (LE and MIL) through the Wyoming Governor's cup match. I had already shot 6 stages, so I was giving them some tips and tricks along the way. Most of these guys had 10-15 years of service and told me they learned more shooting the match than in all the "tactical" courses they had taken. When we got to stage 7, and I shot, they were pretty shocked at the speed and accuracy of not just me, but my 13 year old. All of that comes from competition.

BUT, don't rely on competition for tactics, you need actual pros who have been there and done that AND understand how to transfer that to civilians concerned with self-defense tactics. That number is sadly, very small.