The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 11, 2013, 02:22 AM   #1
Northrider

Duracoat

I was at the gunshow over the weekend and saw a Ruger Redhawk with the 4.5 in barrel. Been looking for one for over 8 months. The price was good, but it had camo pattern duracoat all over the frame.
My question: is there a way to strip that off, without ruining the original finish? I passed on the gun because I know nothing about the coating. The table was manned by some young high school aged kids who could not answer my questions.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old February 11, 2013, 04:03 AM   #2
LarryFlew

Pretty hard finish so I doubt it but you could call and find out. They have great customer service.

800-830-6677
Old February 11, 2013, 04:46 AM   #3
Venom1956

Usually guns are duracoated because the original finish is shot... which is often the result of hard use or neglect, neither is of which is beneficial to a second hand owner.

So if your looking at a duracoated gun it certainly isn't worth whatever it would be if it still was in the original stock configuration/finish.

Just some things to keep in mind when looking at the price tag.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 11, 2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Noreaster

You could buy it and refinish with a black or dark blue duracoat finish. Just ruff it up and buy a $35.00 shake & spray kit.
Old February 12, 2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Dragline45

Quote:
Just ruff it up and buy a $35.00 shake & spray kit.
I saw those and always wondered how well they work. I want to Duracoat my 22/45 with one, since it's not a terribly expensive gun to begin with I am not about to fork over $100 for someone else to do it.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:49 PM   #6
CSHammond

Black duracoat

I got one of the 50 dollar kits that actually came with a small airbrush and can of air. didnt use them since i have spray equipment. I painted a pump shotgun with both barrels and some 308 magazines for a Fal or something. Still had some left over. It goes on really thin, but has held up pretty good. Probably been 3 or 4 years now.
Old February 13, 2013, 12:14 AM   #7
TennJed

I, for one am interested in seeing the gun before you duracoat it. Do you have any pics of this camo Ruger? If it is not too bad a job, consider these grips and holster. You will have a one of a kind redhawk

Old February 13, 2013, 08:25 AM   #8
stevelyn

Quote:
My question: is there a way to strip that off, without ruining the original finish? I passed on the gun because I know nothing about the coating. The table was manned by some young high school aged kids who could not answer my questions.
Duracoat is a two-part epoxy paint that you mix with a hardner before application. I'm not aware of anything chemically that will strip it after it's cured.

I clean my airbrush and mixing bottles with the reducer or acetone.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:23 AM   #9
Northrider

Thanks for all the advice.. I was worried about the condition as well as how to get the finish off. Guess I'll keep looking.

Shoot Safe & Often
Old February 14, 2013, 12:05 PM   #10
Inspector3711

Methylene Chloride should remove it. Not guaranteed, but it'll strip a car finish in no time.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:02 AM   #11
BoogieMan

Ceramic blast it off. Glass bead, aluminum oxide, sand might work also. Also its the prefered method to prep the surface prior to re-coating the gun.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 17, 2013, 05:21 PM   #12
Tactical Jackalope

I'm getting my Colt Series 70 refinished in a cerakote "sniper grey". The finish on the satin nickel is so worn that it looks really bad. I already have a safe queen Colt that only comes out for the range. I need one to carry here and there. So the series 70 stepped up to the plate.

It's getting a whole lot of other things done too