The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 5, 2012, 12:45 PM   #1
smokiniron

Corrective lens recommendation for open sights?

Hi all,

Recent cataract surgery has left my eyes with a problem or two. I need some recommendations on a certain kind of correction.

I'm left handed. My left eye is dominant. But, it was corrected for distance. My right eye was corrected for reading.

An optician recommended a 'Double D' lens for my left eye. Have you ever heard of that? It's a Bi-Focal with a reading portion of the lens above AND below the center distance portion.

The idea is that I need only tilt my head up or down a little to see iron sights clearly, then center my view to see the target clearly. Again, it's like a regular bi-focal, only with the reading portion ground into the upper areas as well. I understand tradesmen wear them to make their work easier.

My intent is to get the lenses set up as safety glasses. I would also consider a brown tint for better contrast, but that's optional. (Gray or brown are the choices). Or, I can get some photo-chromic lenses that darken in the sunlight.

Any one been down this particular road?
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old December 5, 2012, 07:49 PM   #2
603Country

My cousin got contacts for the same issue you did. I don't remember much about what he wound up with, but he said that he went to an eye doctor that was a competition shooter. The doctor knew just what he needed and supplied it. I guess you need a shootin eye doctor.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:52 PM   #3
smokiniron

I'm hoping to avoid contact. 40+ years of lenses is enough. But, if I can't get some good glasses made, that may be needed!

It sucks getting old!
Old December 5, 2012, 08:20 PM   #4
ltc444

Positioning bifocals in nontraditional positions is common practice in Safety glasses. On several occasions I purchased glasses with the bifocal on top. I had painters who did fine over head work.

You might want to have a pair of shooting glasses were the prescription for your shooting is positioned to accommodate your shooting position. Have the far lens positioned so that you drop your head to see distance.

Hunting this might present a problem but for range shooting i think you will like your scores. It will keep you from having to unlearn years of muscle memory.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:26 PM   #5
smokiniron

Quote:
Positioning bifocals in nontraditional positions is common practice in Safety glasses. On several occasions I purchased glasses with the bifocal on top. I had painters who did fine over head work.
I've been recommended by an optometrist to consider a lens style that has a non-corrected planar center and a bifocal area above AND below the center area.

I've asked my eye surgeon via email if that'll work.

But, all suggestions are welcome, and appreciated!
Old December 5, 2012, 09:00 PM   #6
ltc444

I had an optometrist in Mesa who was an MD who specialized in eyes. She was Russian and the US did not recognize her training. She had worked with the Russian shooting teams. She built me a pair of glasses which focused on the front site of my pistol. She had me assume my shooting position and measured me. It really improved my scores. Unfortunately, I lost contact with her and my prescription changed.

If your eye person is a shooter he will probably recommend a good solution. If he does not understand shooting, you might want to consult with one who does.
Old December 8, 2012, 04:45 PM   #7
dblack

To smokiniron

Your problem is not uncommon in the over 50 age group. Sadly there is not really an ideal fix. You can have lenses that allow you to focus on your gun sights. You can have lenses that allow you to see the target. But to be able to see both wii require a bifocal. However, you're going to look like a bobble head doll as you shift your focus back and forth through the respective portions of the lens. The problem will be worse at indoor gun ranges. Bright light is your friend when it comes to maximizing your depth of focus. My suggestion, buy a good laser and blast away!!!
Old December 8, 2012, 07:04 PM   #8
smokiniron

My suggestion, buy a good laser and blast away!!!

Yeah.... I'm thinking some downrange sighting device may be needed. I don't want to scope all my long guns, but it may be needed to.

Oh well.....
Old December 9, 2012, 08:46 AM   #9
Rifleman1776

Instead of a lens you might consider a Merit disc on your glasses.
They work just find but take some getting used to. Not for hunting but great for target work.
http://www.gunblast.com/MeritOptical.htm
Old December 9, 2012, 09:38 PM   #10
smokiniron

Merit disc

Thanks, Rifleman1776... I've seen them. Need to dig into them a little more.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:51 AM   #11
zukiphile

If you don't want to pay for a Merit disc, you can get a black plastic hanging lense that fits over your glasses and drill a hole in it. 10 years ago I bought one from my eye doc for $2.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:28 AM   #12
smokiniron

Zukifile...get a black plastic hanging lense

Good idea. I was wondering about taking some of the plastic temporary sun glass lenses that hang on regular glasses and drill a few holes to experiment. a scratched pair of the Polaroid flip-ups could work, too. I could just paint the lens and then drill it.
Old December 10, 2012, 01:21 PM   #13
zukiphile

Quote:
a scratched pair of the Polaroid flip-ups could work, too.
That might be better still. You could trim the excess lense so it isn't too large, and it would be more secure than my set up.
Old December 10, 2012, 05:09 PM   #14
JimDandy

Or depending on the ranges, get a red dot with a magnifier. At that point it's just one picture?