The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 8, 2011, 12:54 PM   #1
andrewsharpshooter

Walther PPK/S .380 Torture test

Does any body know of an atleast 1000+ PPK/S torture test?
Old January 8, 2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Amin Parker

Never heard of one but think its a good idea. There are tons of tests on full size pistols but none on the ones that people actually carry.

As far as i know, the smallest pistol that has had a severe torture test has been the cz
Old January 8, 2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

I don't know if it qualifies as a "torture test" but I had over 3000 rounds through my PPK/s stainless before I upgraded to my Kahr K9 stainless.
Old January 8, 2011, 07:24 PM   #4
jaughtman

What manufacturer?

If it is an Interarms, I haver personally put around that many through one (stainless). And not a single hichup.

J
Old January 9, 2011, 01:19 AM   #5
Sulaco2

I have owned at least 5 PPK over the years and I have never had one that would do 50 rounds without a hickup. All were US made. I have a PPK/s now made in Germany so we shall see. IMHO PPK or PPK/s made in the US just do not have the engineering to be reliable enough to carry.
Old January 9, 2011, 02:40 AM   #6
Xfire68

I have a old 1971 PPK/s and although it's a fine gun I do have issues with it digesting HP's well. I have to find a rounder HP I think to feed it better? I have gone through the gun a few times as I have had it since 1982, it was my Dad's back then but, I shot it more then he. The ramp is polished and it's well lubed.

If it were not my Dad's gun that he gave me I would probably sell it and I don't normally sell guns I trade them if anything. It is a vary accurate gun so it has some good attributes!
Old January 9, 2011, 03:13 AM   #7
IMightBeWrong

No torture test on mine. But for what it's worth, I've got about 500 rds through my S&W made PPK/S with no issues of any kind.

I wouldn't expect perfect torture test results on a subcompact of any type, especially a PPK. Not quite a weapon built for taking a dip in the mud.
Old January 9, 2011, 08:37 AM   #8
8shot357

Quote:
Does any body know of an atleast 1000+ PPK/S torture test?
I don't know of anybody putting "atleast" 1000+PPK/Ss through a torture test.

That's a lot of gun's.
Old January 9, 2011, 11:41 AM   #9
gwnorth

Personally, I think these torture tests of single guns are amusing, but really offer zero valuable information. A test of one is just that, a single example. It literally tells you nothing about the overall or general capability or quality of a make or model (or manufacturer for that matter).

I've seen a lone Yugo GV that had over 100K miles on it, all original equipment, but I still wouldn't spend a single dime of my own money on one. Single incidences of extraordinary performance mean nothing for mass produced products, at least IMO.
Old January 9, 2011, 01:05 PM   #10
chiefr

I have one which I purchased in Germany 30 years ago. It does not have an importers logo and has had over 1000 round thru it with never a problem. The machine work, bluing, and quality of this pistol is remarkable.
Yes, I have noticed the newer ones are not as well made and I have heard of malfunctions.
Old January 14, 2011, 08:30 PM   #11
TPAW

My shooting partner had a PPKs and got rid of it. Too many jams and hang ups. He thought he had a lemon and went out and bought another one. Another jam-o-matic. Just bad luck or what? Anyone else having problems. I wanted to buy one but not after what my friend went through....
Old January 14, 2011, 10:16 PM   #12
dondavis3

My PPK/S has never jammed.

You can tell from the wear - I've carried it for years.

It's been a dependable gun for many many years.

Tags
.380 , ppk/s , test , torture , walther