The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2007, 07:37 PM   #26
KeithB78

I use the Hornady the most
Old December 26, 2007, 12:29 AM   #27
Sport45

You've received some excellent suggestions. I will cast another vote for Lee's Modern Reloading. The Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook is another good choice if you find yourself loading handgun ammo.
Old December 26, 2007, 06:21 AM   #28
phaessler

Use:
Hornady
Speer #7 (has the Powley "computer" with it)
Hodgdon (also great online)
and Nosler

But live by my P.O. Ackley book, and Load From A Disk Software, they touch on alot more than velocity and CUP's, which always seem to be decreasing. Thought we were making better firearms now, oh, and better insurance companies too I guess.

Just my $0.02
Old December 26, 2007, 08:23 AM   #29
jsflagstad

I also have the Lyman book and it is very good.

JSF
Old December 26, 2007, 08:41 AM   #30
KeithB78

Yes the Lee manual is good, i have it, if there is a loading manual i usually end up buying it

I also like the Loadbooks USA individual books,, like i have the one for 45ACP
Old December 26, 2007, 04:45 PM   #31
ForneyRider

I have the Lee Modern reloading and Nosler v3.
I plan on getting another.
Just like high school English class, always have 3 resources.
Old December 26, 2007, 09:22 PM   #32
res45

1. Lyman #48 and #45 Love the Cast Bullet date also.
2. Hornady
3. Lee 2 nd. Ed.
4. Speer #10
Old December 26, 2007, 11:58 PM   #33
rickard

U dont list having the Lee manual and I enjoy it pretty much. It's good for making cast/reduced loads as others dont really go into too much of it. Speer's does list reduced loads though. You can also custom tailor you own load to more of what you want with their per-grain info. Lyman's are very nice too. Nosler does lack in the handguns dept, but that's because they don't have as many hand gun bullets as others.

The barnes is nice too but smells! (bad strong chemical odor from manufacturing) and either i have an older one or they have not one with triple shock data.

Many stores such as Cabelas sells them and has one of each opened up for looking though. Lyman and hornady give nice data for T/C combos...recipies for shorter barrels for handgun data is nice if you have/use them
Old December 27, 2007, 11:12 AM   #34
Walipala

I have a big question regarding Lee's book

I have three manuals including Lee's Second Ed. One thing that truly puzzles me about the Lee book it that, in many cases, the "start" load is exactly the same as the "NEVER EXCEED" load! When I first noticed it I thought it was an isolated typo, but there are numerous instances of this throughout the book.

I haven't seen this done in any other manual, and Mr. Lee offers no explanation for it in the book, none that I could find anyway. Has anyone else ever questioned this?
Old December 27, 2007, 11:21 AM   #35
KeithB78

I also just added Lyman manual #48
Old December 27, 2007, 05:30 PM   #36
rickard

walipala:
yeah they have some data like that, and im not sure why other than that was all they had. Sometimes it would be because any more would be over pressure and any less would be too inconsistant, but some, like 5gr RD for a 230gr 45 auto, is listed in other manuals with 5 over in some, under in some, and in the middle of a range in some. It does have a shorter COL and a FPS way over what i get with that load. But aside that, it is an excellent book, and has good reading too besides loads (some dont have really anything other than loads, such as barnes, but then, they have not reloading equip they sell)
Old December 29, 2007, 07:18 PM   #37
renaissance7697

The Lee book is very much UNDER-rated

Shows more data for various powders than any other I have ( I have 7)
Especially good for HC lead data
It is Bargain priced
but First Rate
Old January 2, 2008, 08:01 PM   #38
KeithB78

I have the Lee book, very useful

Just got my Lyman's 48th, it is a nice book, but doesn't cover as many different powders per bullet as the others

added: just looking the Lyman's 48th over it has awesome basic reloading information in the front half
Old January 8, 2008, 09:07 AM   #39
hamm

Reloading manuals

Here's another vote for Lee's Modern Reloading. I only have the first edition but I plan to get the second soon. Easy reading, good arrangement. Especially valuable if you use Lee equipment.
For those asking about "starting loads" and Maximum loads" with the same values, Lee has this to say on page 176 under "Maximum overall length" in bold type: "Some Start Grains are the same as Never Exceed charges because the pressures are low.This usually occurs with compressed charges or target loads"
Old January 8, 2008, 10:31 PM   #40
ir3e971

I use Lees, Lyman, and Sierra.

The ABCs of reloading is invaluable to a novice.
Old January 9, 2008, 08:42 AM   #41
The Lovemaster

Books

I like the Hornady and Lyman books and to a (slightly) lesser extent the Speer book. I'll have to pick up the ABC's based on this thread, thanks!
Old January 9, 2008, 12:42 PM   #42
gus3836

I have an old Lyman book that is nice for older established rounds (ie 40 s&w is not in the book) What I like about it is it gives you the most accurate loads for each size bullet for every caliber My newer Lyman manual does not have that feature. You can get most of the powder manufacturers data off the web without buying a book. But the better manuals ie Nosler,Sierra and Hornaday have great info in them also. Just my .02 worth. Gus

Last edited by gus3836; January 9, 2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: grammar