The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 2007, 12:49 AM   #1
gunnie12

First time Shotgun purchase and Advice?

Mossberg versus Remington and I am LH.

Pro’s and Con’s of each?

Customization and gunsmiths for each?

Reliability of each?

Pump versus Auto?

Thanks in advance and much appreciated for the feedback……………
Old December 2, 2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Average Joe

Mossberg and Remington are both very good shotguns. I like pumps. It all comes down to which fits you better, and whichever appeals to your eye. You won't go wrong with either.
Old December 2, 2007, 06:55 PM   #3
jaymce

Try a bunch and watch the used racks. If you are looking at O/U I had a bad experience with the Mossberg and feel that the Spartan had better fit and overall finish. A used B-gun would be a better investment then new Mossberg or Remmington.

If looking at pump action you might look for a used Browning. I agree with Average Joe that fit should be your main concern.

gunnie12, you might post a little extra info, what is the intended use, what price range you might be looking in, other details that might be of help.

In any event good luck in your search.
Old December 2, 2007, 07:31 PM   #4
sparkysteve

I'm a lefty too. I have an 870. I got sick of the trigger guard saftey and empty shells hitting my right arm. I have no complaints other that that. I later bought a Browning BPS pump. I love it. It has bottom feed and eject and a top tang saftey. It has a better fit and finish that my 870 and it cycles smoother. It costs a little more, but in my opinion it's money well spent. I believe Remington makes a LH wingmaster that would be nice too.

Dont tread on me.
Old December 2, 2007, 11:28 PM   #5
chris in va

The Mossberg's safety is receiver mounted, plus there's no loading gate.
Old December 3, 2007, 08:59 PM   #6
crowbeaner

For a lefty you should get an Ithaca 37, and have the safety reversed by a smith. Bottom feeding and ejection, and ultimately reliable even in COLD weather. Barrels are common, and used ones are fetching around $300. CB.
Old December 4, 2007, 02:15 AM   #7
YukonKid

What is it for?

What do you want to use it for. For waterfowl hunting i use an 870, but for upland i take out an A-5. For skeet it is red label. I think that if this is for all around use a semi would be great. Some people believe that semi's are not as reliable, but i beg to think differently. My Belgian A-5 has been nothing but completley reliable. I use the 870 for waterfowl because i am clumsy and generaly fall in the mudd on the way to or from the blind and the 870 is fastest for me to clean.

hope this helps
Old December 4, 2007, 08:26 AM   #8
billindenver

I love mossberg...would use anything they make, as a fence post. I think if you cut the stock into a point any mossberg would make a fantastic fence post, or perhaps a good hat older.

Find a used Benelli M1 and you are set for life. I prefer my M1 over even my browning citori. I've never been able to love a pump, but the wingmaster 870 is a fantastic gun...and cheap. Browning BPS seems nice, but I hold a shotgun short on the forearm and my hand covers part of the bottom eject. The favorite gun in my safe is the benelli.

Bill
Old December 4, 2007, 10:00 AM   #9
ronto

Get A 12GA Pump...

Mossberg 500 if you are LH. I'm RH and like the 500 safety location. Also the 500 slide release is in a better position than the 870 IMO.
Old December 4, 2007, 10:28 AM   #10
rantingredneck

It comes down to which fits you best. I own both, but have a slight preference for the 870 due to it's durability advantage, not that I expect to wear either out in my lifetime.

The safety on the 870 can be switched for left hand use if that's a concern. The Mossbergs is tang mounted and thus ambidextrous.

A caution about right hand eject semiautos and left handed shooters.......

Once, long ago over a NC dove field, when I was too young to know better I threw up left handed to catch a bird flying to my right (instead of simply turning my body as I should have). I got a face full of hot gasses and powder residue from the Rem 1100 I was using that day. Burned like H E Doublehockeysticks and blurred my vision for a couple of days.