The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 28, 2015, 10:05 PM   #1
maillemaker

Finally a real comparison between Uberti and Pietta.

Well, this last weekend I bought a Uberti 1858 Remington from a friend. I already had a Pietta. Both of these are pretty new - bought within the last 3 years or so.

While I shot it the weekend I bought it, I have not had a chance to work up a load of a bench. Still, the gun looks promising - more so than the Pietta that I have already worked up the best load for, which isn't saying much.

But I can now say from personal experience that without a doubt that the Uberti is a better firearm than the Pietta, hands down. Now that I have seen the difference, I can't figure out why this is such an ambiguous debate on forums like this, and I can't figure out why Uberti does not pummel Pietta in marketing their products.

Some noteable differences I discovered while taking the gun apart for a solid cleaning:

Firstly, all the internal parts are blued on the Uberti. This includes the trigger and the springs and other parts.

The trigger on the Uberti is light years ahead of the Pietta. When I got the Pietta it had a very very very lonnnnnng trigger pull - felt like 1/8" or so. I did some work on the lock to shorten that, but out-of-the-box, it was terrible. The Uberti, which has had no work to it, breaks clean and crisp and is better even than the Pietta that I have tried with my amateur skills to improve.

The Uberti comes with a dovetail front sight. So adjusting for windage is a snap. The Pietta has a post front sight that has to either be replaced or, if you are lucky, filed.

The muzzle of the Uberti is crowned. The Pietta is not.

Uberti puts their "black powder only" scroll on the bottom of the barrel under the loading lever, while Pietta stamps it on the side.

Things I did not like:
The grips on my Uberti appear to have a polyurethane clear coat on them. I prefer oiled wood.

The latch post dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel was loose - it slid out of its dovetail under finger pressure. I fixed this by applying some solder to the bottom of the post, tapping it back in place, and heating it with a torch until the solder flowed and set it permanently in position.

This last is a pretty serious issue, and if I had bought this new would be grounds for return. But since I got the gun and a complete set of gear for $175, I'm willing to put up with the quick repair.

This is my second Uberti revolver, and I own 4 Pietta revolvers. My other Uberti is a Walker. It's quality as a shooter made it my most accurate revolver. Though it is still a small sample size, I am now convinced that Uberti makes a higher-quality product than Pietta, and that is why they cost more.

Steve
Old August 29, 2015, 01:35 AM   #2
Eric N.

I agree. I have a few Piettas,then I bought a Whitneyville/Hartford Dragoon made by Uberti. What a quality piece. The action is smooth as butter. Fit and finish is as close to perfect as possible from what I can see. I think the reason the Piettas sell so well is price. I just bought my grandson an 1851 Colt Navy 36cal Pietta for his 17th birthday at Cabelas for 199.99. We took it out to the range yesterday.Long story short. He was thrilled. Took it home to clean it. The groves in the barrel looks like it was done with dull tooling, chatter marks and looked terrible. But it shoots good,thank goodness.
Old August 29, 2015, 09:06 AM   #3
MIOkie

I agree that Uberti's quality is much better than Pietta.

I am thankful that Pietta is around to provide a more affordable offering to my limited shooting budget.

Competition in that market is good for us all.

In our Black Powder sport there is something for everyone, from the high quality pieces to the cheaper "starter" guns.
Old August 29, 2015, 02:30 PM   #4
JN01

Quote:
When I got the Pietta it had a very very very lonnnnnng trigger pull - felt like 1/8" or so. I did some work on the lock to shorten that, but out-of-the-box, it was terrible.
An eighth of an inch is very long and terrible? You must really hate DA triggers.

I've always preferred the Ubertis to the Pietta percussion guns. Uberti tends to hide or eliminate most of the obnoxious markings. The draw back to Uberti is that the arbors are usually to short on the Colt open top clones.

In the past I have had Uberti SAA clones, but when I decided to purchase another recently, opted for a Pietta instead. My choice was based largely on comments of gunsmiths involved in cowboy action shooting indicating that the Pietta internals were superior.

I have found it to be very well made and equal to the Ubertis. Action is very smooth and perfectly timed, shoots to point of aim (with 158 gr .357 Magnums), and nicely finished without proof marks stamped all over it.
Old August 29, 2015, 03:16 PM   #5
Bishop Creek

Quote:
JN01 In the past I have had Uberti SAA clones, but when I decided to purchase another recently, opted for a Pietta instead. My choice was based largely on comments of gunsmiths involved in cowboy action shooting indicating that the Pietta internals were superior.
I have read the same thing in many different forums.
Old August 29, 2015, 10:23 PM   #6
maillemaker

Quote:
An eighth of an inch is very long and terrible? You must really hate DA triggers.
No, but I would expect an entirely different trigger pull in double-action. Why are we talking about double-action triggers on a single-action firearm?

Yes, my S&W 629 has a long trigger pull in double-action mode. But it has zero trigger pull in single-action mode, as one would expect in single-action mode.

Another improvement of the Uberti over the Pietta is the loading ram. On the Pietta, the face of the ram is strangely shaped - not spherical at all. The Uberti is properly machined to a nice spherical face to cradle the ball as it is seated.

Steve
Old August 30, 2015, 03:10 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Good comparison, Steve....

Definitely. Thanks.
Old August 30, 2015, 07:37 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Steve, thanks for the insights. Can you tell me whether forged and milled or casted parts are used by either maker? In due course of time and usage, which one wears faster?
Old August 30, 2015, 11:31 AM   #9
maillemaker

Hi Gary,

Next time I take them apart I will go hunting for casting lines and vents etc.

When I took apart the Uberti I did not take out the hammer as it is such a pain in the ass to re-spring the mainspring.

Steve
Old August 30, 2015, 11:47 AM   #10
zworld

You make some good points, but I believe some of them just are not the important. Like weather the internals are blued. I have a uberti saa, and a pietta 1851. The piettas are less expensive. And obviously they save money by not doing things like crowning the barrel or bluing internal parts. They are just providing a better value. It's called business. That's their niche, still providing a quality piece at an affordable price. I'm not rich, But I can certainly afford to buy any gun I want. Just don't see the value in paying almost twice as much for the uberti cap and ball. Remember before you jump on me, that I do own a uberti SAA. Just my thoughts
Old August 30, 2015, 03:32 PM   #11
foolzrushn

maillemaker

First.....really glad to get your observations. I would like you to add the dates from the date codes on both guns though.

I have not had the opportunity to own a Uberti because I want to hold, feel and work something that I buy. Ubertis are just not that accessible, so I was very interested in your comparisons.

There is so much difference in the fit and finish of each of my Piettas, that I wonder if comparing just two guns ( only one Uberti ) is definitive. However, that variation in quality should not be there in the first place, so that means something. I wonder if there is as much variation ( gun to gun ) in the Uberti production?

I have not noticed any Pietta action parts that seemed cast. I had not read that Pietta actions were any better than Ubertis. That surprises me. It must surely be in some process ( hardening? ) since the configuration is the same? I would like to hear more about that.

certified 'soap welder'
Old August 30, 2015, 06:14 PM   #12
maillemaker

Quote:
You make some good points, but I believe some of them just are not the important.
Oh I completely agree.

Here are the points that I think probably make a difference in the use of the firearm. Bear in mind I shoot competitively so accuracy is important to me.

Action: A good, crisp trigger break is critical for accuracy. The Uberti breaks crisply and with a short trigger pull. The Pietta did not.

Crowned barrel: This will probably result in better accuracy. I have not had a chance to bench this gun yet so I cannot say definitively, but I shot it in competition the day I bought it with some 18 grain 3F Goex loads with .457 round balls that I had made up for my Pietta and I was generally pleased with the gun. I suspect it will shoot better than the Pietta but that remains to be seen.

Properly machined loading ram face: The Uberti has a nice spherical face to the loading ram to properly cradle the ball during seating. The Pietta has a very crudely-made pocket that is more + shaped in nature, and this transfers to the nose of the bullet during loading, assuming you load using the built-in ram. I load off the gun in a separate stand but I noticed this nice touch.

These are the only details that I noticed that would probably affect the function of the firearm. The rest are niceties.

Another one is the hammer spur engraving. The Pietta has only horizontal lines engraved for the thumb grip, the Uberti has cross-hatched engraving - another step in the manufacture. Doesn't really affect anything though.

Steve
Old August 30, 2015, 06:22 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Steve - if you take them apart again, take some photos of the frame's interior. It would be nice to compare the quality of machining.
Old August 31, 2015, 02:16 PM   #14
CameronP

From my experience, the Ubertis are superior to the Piettas in terms of machining, fit, and finishing. Only exception is my Navy Arms (Pietta) Shooter's Model made in 1990.l It's a quality revolver as per the above mentioned terms. IMHO.
Old August 31, 2015, 06:45 PM   #15
zworld

Well I'm going to stick by my guns lol. I believe my pieta navy Is a damn good gun, shoots great very accurate, fit and finish is very nice in my opinion. Now uberti, 349.00, Pietta I paid 199.00 at cabelas. I'm sorry the uberti is no way no how worth almost twice as much. Completely ridiculous. And when you say you shoot competitively are you shooting steel plates at 15 feet? hell I can hit that with a rock.
Old August 31, 2015, 08:14 PM   #16
45 Dragoon

Bet you got an Uberti rock though!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Old August 31, 2015, 08:33 PM   #17
Vagunmonkey

I believe steve shoots competitively at the same distances I do... 25 & 50 yards. ( I also shoot 25&50 meter). I actually prefer pietta & Pedersoli over the Uberti.

To shoot seriously I would still accurize the Pietta or Uberti and see no sense in paying the extra $150 for the Uberti. Now if your going to shoot it out of the box and do nothing more, and you don't want to pay for the Pedersoli or shooters model then that's a different story.

Steve - I'll bet my Pietta will out shoot your Uberti.... want to do a postal match from your next skirmish?
Old August 31, 2015, 09:30 PM   #18
maillemaker

Quote:
And when you say you shoot competitively are you shooting steel plates at 15 feet?
I shoot N-SSA competition which is 25 yards and 50 yards.

Quote:
To shoot seriously I would still accurize the Pietta or Uberti and see no sense in paying the extra $150 for the Uberti. Now if your going to shoot it out of the box and do nothing more, and you don't want to pay for the Pedersoli or shooters model then that's a different story.
Oh I totally agree. All the good pistol shooters I know have custom-worked guns from Tom Ball or Tri-L or Charlie Hahn or whatever. I hear the Pedersoli is good but I have never seen one. Then there are those German Lege or whatever guns.

Quote:
Steve - I'll bet my Pietta will out shoot your Uberti.... want to do a postal match from your next skirmish?
I can't speak definitively to this Uberti yet as I have not worked up a load for it.

But my Walker has shot hole-in-hole off a bench, and I can hit a man-sized steel silhouette at 120 yards off single hand with it about 50% of the time. Unfortunately the thing is so heavy I have a hard time keeping it on target single-handed.

Here's my load work-up for the Walker:

http://i.imgur.com/XfiZSe7.jpg

The 45 grain target is 6 shots. Either 3 shots went totally off the board (unlikely) or they are going through the same holes. I need to go back out with a full set of ammo and bench shoot it some more to confirm.

I'm hoping the 1858 shoots well also. I have cartridges made up from 14 grains to 28 grains 3F Goex with .457 round ball and also Lee Conical bullets. Wanted to shoot last weekend but it rained. Hopefully this weekend.
Old August 31, 2015, 10:18 PM   #19
45 Dragoon

Nice shooting maillemaker !!
My Dragoons typically put 6 shots into 5 holes. ( 250 gr. LRNFP, 6.1gr. Tight Group, Fed. LP P)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Old September 1, 2015, 12:33 PM   #20
bedbugbilly

I agree with you that Uberti makes an excellent handgun - for the most part - but so does Pietta. Apple to oranges though - two different price levels and like many hand guns - lower price equals some short cuts. Example - blued internals - personally, I could care less if the internals are blued or not and that certainly wouldn't be a "deal breaker" to me.

You say the Uberti trigger is better . . . but you really aren't stating just why? Better tolerances on the Uberti? Or, since you purchased it used . . had work been done on it? Just asking as to be fair, a NIB should be compared with a NIB.

I have had a

number of Piettas - still have a 58 Remington Navy. It's an excellent shooter - very good and crisp action out of the box and just as accurate as my '51 Uberti Navy - which also is an excellent hand gun.

One thing a person has to remember is how and where the Italian revolvers are made. Quality can depend on a lot of things - in particular - what "batch". There is always the debate on which is better - Uberti, Taylor or Cimarron. But - they are all Ubertis. In talking with the LGS that has been in business for over 75 years - the same one that I ordered my Uberti Bisley through - I questioned them on the three distributors. Their reply was that they actually could see no difference in quality between the three distributors - but they could see a price difference (as far as being a dealer and ordering from all three).

A while ago, I looked at a NIB Uberti '49 Pocket Colt at a gun shop. I would have purchased it on the spot - great outer appearance - beautiful fit and finish - util you cocked it It felt like it had a handful of gravel inside - needless to say, I walked away. If I found one in another store - it might have been fantastic. It's the luck of the draw.

Not too long ago there was a post where a fellow purchased a Cattleman (I think if I remember correctly). It came from one of the three distributors. When he got it, it had the wrong barrel on it. So . anything can happen.

I'm not knocking Uberti or Pietta in any way. I'm happy your Uberti is a good one and that you like it. But, since it was "used" (even though you got it from a friend) - was it like that when NIB . . or was "work" done on it? To be fair . . let's hear just what it is please.

I love my Uberti 357 Bisley - as far as I'm concerned, a real Colt couldn't be any better. Looks great, feels great, shoots great - it serves the need it was designed for. I have a 7 1/2 Uberti Cattleman in 45 Colt on the way. I expect it to be the same way . . . but I also realize that "it's the luck of the draw".

If a person has the extra $$ to spend on a Uberti . . then that's the way I would go. If not . . there is nothing wrong with a Pietta. AS it is, many many folks will tune the up regardless of the brand to fit their needs. And, just like a S & W, a Colt, a Ruger or heaven forbid, a Taurus . . . the same caliber, the same barrel length . . . each will have plusses and minuses and will vary in price.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 1, 2015, 02:53 PM   #21
maillemaker

Quote:
You say the Uberti trigger is better . . . but you really aren't stating just why? Better tolerances on the Uberti? Or, since you purchased it used . . had work been done on it? Just asking as to be fair, a NIB should be compared with a NIB.
If you will carefully read the thread you will find the answers to your questions.

Steve

Last edited by maillemaker; September 1, 2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old September 1, 2015, 08:00 PM   #22
smd4

I shoot a little...but I want my replica firearm to...um...look like the gun that it's a replica of.

Uberti simply cannot be beat in this regard. My Uberti 1860 Army isn't perfect...but it's a hell of a lot closer than my Pieta.

Apples to oranges? Ridiculous. When you're comparing the same replica models, that it apples to apples, almost by definition.