The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 6, 2015, 01:23 PM   #1
Bookman88

Rifle and bow hunt?

I am going hunting for boar in central CA with a .308 rifle. My friend would like to join but he only has archery equipment. Will my friend have a chance to shoot anything or will my superior range make him irrelevant? I don't want to risk scaring a boar away by stalking closer than is necessary for me to take a clear shot with my rifle.

Thanks for the help!
Old August 6, 2015, 01:54 PM   #2
Pahoo

Same game but two different hunts !!!

Quote:
I don't want to risk scaring a boar away by stalking closer than is necessary for me to take a clear shot with my rifle.
If you plan on hunting together, than I fear there will be problems. Now, if you travel out there together and finally separate, then, that might work. .... .

I've been in situations similar to this and it just doesn't work out very well. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old August 6, 2015, 02:08 PM   #3
Doyle

I never hunted hogs when I lived in CA, but I lived near some of the areas they are in. From what I saw, it is pretty open terrain. Not the kind of area suited to bowhunting hogs.
Old August 6, 2015, 02:27 PM   #4
jmr40

There are many, many different approaches to hunting. You generally use a little different strategy when bow hunting. Anytime 2 hunters are working together they generally decide who will take the 1st shot before starting anyway. I'd advise using a stand instead of spot and stalk style. This is probably better for archery hunting. If a hog comes in close enough let him have the shot. If it becomes apparent there is no way it'll present a shot for him, then the shot is yours.

It may be necessary to split up and hunt in different areas. That is OK too. You can still help each other in many ways. He could set up a stand for example and you could circle around and actually drive hogs toward him increasing his chances for a shot.
Old August 6, 2015, 02:52 PM   #5
Panfisher

Or just have him leave his archery gear at home and you two share the rifle, flip a coin each morning to see who gets first shot.
Old August 6, 2015, 03:01 PM   #6
rickyrick

Not sure about California pigs.... But in Texas I would almost walk up to many of them. Depends on the dynamics of the group.

If rooting around, they are not paying a great deal of attention and their noise drowns yours out.
Traveling, they make a great deal of noise and may not notice your presence as well, you can here them coming for several minutes. Both scenarios can yield close range shots.
A big solitary boar may be trickier to get.
Old August 6, 2015, 03:06 PM   #7
Doyle

Rick, the hogs I saw when I was in CA didn't seem to bunch up the way they do in the south. They appeared to be much more solitary. I'm thinking that would make a spot-n-stalk to bow range much tougher.
Old August 6, 2015, 06:14 PM   #8
dakota.potts

Could your friend not find a well used $100-150 shotgun locally? I see them all the time here. At least with slugs he'd have some kind of distance
Old August 8, 2015, 06:57 PM   #9
FITASC

Isn't CA now mandating lead-free ammo for all hunting?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 9, 2015, 05:37 AM   #10
Jack O'Conner

When we were teens, my brother and I shared one rifle for our hunts together. It was a very old but accurate Winchester 30-30 carbine. We took turns carrying it. Although not ideal, we were OK with this arrangement.

Jack
Old August 9, 2015, 09:15 AM   #11
mardanlin

You don't have a spare 12ga or another rifle?