The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2013, 07:38 PM   #1
JKilbreth

Primer system on Lee Classic Turret

So I'm getting a little frustrated with my Lee Classic Turret press. Everything works great so far, except the priming system.
When I transfer a primer (large or small) to the primer arm cup and lower the ram to align the primer wit the bottom of the case, the primer arm either doesn't hinge at the right time, or at the right place, because the top of the primer gets caught on the bottom of the shell holder, usually resulting in the primer being ejected from the cup, or turned sideways and crushed by the shell holder.
Has anyone else encountered this? Any fixes?

I'm not sure my description is very good, so I included pictures.
In the first pic, you can see the primer in the primer arm cup.
In the second picture, hopefully you can see where the primer makes contact with the shell holder on the "upswing" of the press handle.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376527019.836677.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376527064.062759.jpg
Old August 14, 2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Reloader2

I just ordered one of these presses so I'm interested in the answer. Would it be possible to glue something where the primer arm makes contact with the base of the press to move it sooner/further when the ram comes down?
Old August 14, 2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Ajtozzi

Make sure that the primer seater is properly seated in the ram. Take the shell holder out, raise the ram about halfway up, slide the primer seater in the slot and make sure it goes ALL the way down, then slide on your shell holder. Also make sure there are no spent primers stuck inside that are causing the primer seater to not seat correctly in its mount.

I've had the same issue a few times. Taking it apart and putting it back seems to work every time.
Old August 14, 2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I have a shellholder or two that catch occasionally. You can grind the bottom of the shellholder down a bit so it misses. I've never had one catch so bad that it launched or crushed a primer.
Old August 14, 2013, 09:32 PM   #5
lamarw

Turn your shell holder 90 degrees and see if your problem goes away.

Take a look my attached picture. You will see the shell holder turned approximately 90 degrees, as stated above. In the picture you will see I have my auto indexing feature disconnected (personal preference). I say that so it will not mess with your mind as you look at the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lee Prime.jpg (246.6 KB, 77 views)
Old August 14, 2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Lost Sheep

You have GOT to read this thread (on another forum)

Thanks for asking our advice.

This thread (on Rugerforum.net) has a lot of information, and, unless I miss my guess, the answer to your question.

http://rugerforum.net/reloading/8069...m-problem.html

Good luck.

Lost Sheep
Old August 15, 2013, 12:07 AM   #7
higgite

It's probably out of alignment. An easy fix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TIRm5OAK-_k
Old August 15, 2013, 10:29 AM   #8
JimDandy

Also I'm a big fan of hand priming when working on a turret or single stage.
Old August 15, 2013, 11:08 AM   #9
mikld

Remove the primer arm. Polish the sides of the arm with emery paper (lay paper on a flat surface. Rub the flat side of the primer arm flat on the paper until all burrs are gone and both sides are smooth). Make sure the channel in the ram is clean (use a brush to get all dirt, gunk, etc. out of the channel) and lightly oil the sides of the arm. Then try it again with a smooth, continuous movement...
Old August 15, 2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandy
Also I'm a big fan of hand priming when working on a turret or single stage.
Priming off-press is preferred by a lot of folks for various good reasons and if you do batch processing is not all that onerous. But if you do continuous processing, the extra handling slows the throughput tremendously.

Besides, I like the feel of priming on-press better than hand-priming. The extra leverage lets me be so gentle and (I find) does not reduce the "feel" of the primer seating. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this one is mine. My shooting buddy (who I taught to reload) prefers his hand priming.

Lost Sheep
Old August 16, 2013, 10:00 AM   #11
JKilbreth

I don't like to prime off the press personally, but I respect and understand that some people do. After reading several other forums, I have determined that unless I am willing to disassemble my press, my only real option is to Jerry rig something to make the primer arm tilt back and fall down earlier.
Several other people that have experienced the same problem as I am experiencing seem to have come to the conclusion that you either by a good press from Lee or a bad press. And you never really know which one you're going to get until you've got it, unfortunately.
I've attached pictures of what I came up with, but I agree with what many have said in other places: I don't believe I should have to make alterations to a new product; it should either work, or it should be replaced. I may end up calling Lee anyway, but until then, this is the best I could do.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376665012.700656.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376665043.369877.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376665069.331953.jpg
I taped a piece if crumpled up duct tape inside the groove where the primer arm contacts the press base as the ram descends. It seems to cause the primer arm to tip inward early enough to slide downward into alight meant with the primer pocket of the case.
Old August 16, 2013, 10:26 AM   #12
lamarw

I still don't understand why you have the mouth of the shell case holder facing the front of the press? Even if it ends up not affecting the priming operation it will pull out when you remove your brass.

As in the picture I attached earlier, you will see where I turn mine about 90 degrees. Have you tried it that way. I have two lee 4 hole turret presses and don't have the problem you are referring to. I also think the instructions tell you to insert the shell holder and turn it about 90 degrees.
You then slip the brass into the turret press from the side and not from the front.
Old August 16, 2013, 10:59 AM   #13
mikld

Well, what have you tried to find a solution?
Old August 16, 2013, 11:30 AM   #14
CADILLAC HOOSIER

I've never had a problem with mine. I do have the shell holder at a 90 degree angle. I agree with pulling the shell holder and making sure it's in there properly. If its binding you might try a touch of graphite to lube it. HOOSIER
Old August 16, 2013, 11:40 AM   #15
polyphemus

The issue seems to originate as the cup goes through the shell holder and
disengages the arm from the cross pin so it is out of position for the next stroke.While it is a good idea to stone the edges there's plenty clearance as
it is.Probably a positive upward motion and a sharp stop is a better way to
handle this since that would reset the arm back.
It is hard to see how the duct tape solution would work but then you can't
argue with success.
Old August 16, 2013, 12:25 PM   #16
JKilbreth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw View Post
I still don't understand why you have the mouth of the shell case holder facing the front of the press? Even if it ends up not affecting the priming operation it will pull out when you remove your brass.

As in the picture I attached earlier, you will see where I turn mine about 90 degrees. Have you tried it that way. I have two lee 4 hole turret presses and don't have the problem you are referring to. I also think the instructions tell you to insert the shell holder and turn it about 90 degrees.
You then slip the brass into the turret press from the side and not from the front.
Rotating the shell holder was the first (and most commonly suggested) fix attempt, but it did not solve the issue with my press. I meant to mention that I had tried that, but I forgot. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I had dismissed your idea, but I had already tried it before you suggested it. I appreciate it all the same, though.

I know several people (my brother being one of those) that have the exact same press, but no issues like I'm having. I'm NOT trying to bash Lee's products, as I believe them to be quality products for the price. I'm only interested in a solution, not hate. Solutions first, blame later

Anyways. I digress. I have consulted the Lee videos, other user-submitted videos, and other forums. My last resort will be to call/email Lee and see if they can be any more specific that you guys have been, but other posts have made me less than hopeful of Lee's tech customer service. But I'll let my own experiences decide for me ultimately.

My fix may look bad, but it works for moment until I can call Lee. I'll let y'all know the outcome.
Old August 16, 2013, 01:20 PM   #17
Than

Primer system on Lee Turret

It looks like your primer arm is not seated all the way down in the shaft.
Old August 16, 2013, 11:52 PM   #18
Fire_Moose

Re: Primer system on Lee Classic Turret

I could never get the priming system to work on my LCT.

I continue to batch prime on my Lee single stage.
Old August 17, 2013, 06:05 AM   #19
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Suggestion: See if the primers holders center screw can be tighten down more. As they will work themselves loose if not tighten down properly.

S/S
Old August 17, 2013, 08:46 AM   #20
Real Gun

Mine didn't run quite right until I loosened the bolt that holds the primer tray and aligned the primer dispenser perfectly with the primer arm. First, the primer arm determines where the shell holder gets centered. I had already filed the edges of the primer arm and cup and sprayed everything with One Shot (wax lubricant).
Old August 19, 2013, 10:29 AM   #21
JKilbreth

Okay, I made a video of my problem, maybe this will help:
http://youtu.be/rA3onhbPsHc

Quote:
It looks like your primer arm is not seated all the way down in the shaft.
That's definitely the problem, but the primer arm is binding or getting caught on something that's not letting it drop into place early enough.

Quote:
Suggestion: See if the primers holders center screw can be tighten down more. As they will work themselves loose if not tighten down properly.
I don't know how to do this, but I'm willing to try.
Old August 19, 2013, 10:40 AM   #22
Striker1

This may have already been suggested and I missed it but does the problem happen with both large and small primer arms? If not, compare the two side by side, one may be manufactured (machined) wrong. Can you push it all the way in with your fingers? Check look for any burrs?
Old August 19, 2013, 02:09 PM   #23
the led farmer

after watching your video your ram is out of alignment, the primer arm should fall between the two raised notches, ez fix

primer arm binding

this is straight from the horses mouth

http://leeprecision.com/turret-press-help-videos.html
Old August 19, 2013, 10:55 PM   #24
JKilbreth

Quote:
after watching your video your ram is out of alignment, the primer arm should fall between the two raised notches, ez fix

primer arm binding

this is straight from the horses mouth

http://leeprecision.com/turret-press-help-videos.html
Yeah, I've watched this video a million times. I love how the guy simply twists it with his fingers and the top magically turns. I've tried this, and the top of the ram on mine is stuck like glue. There's no turning it my hand. Does anyone know how to make it turn, or loosen it up to make it rotate?
Old August 20, 2013, 06:05 AM   #25
stubbicatt

JKilbreath, I just checked mine out. It too would not rotate by hand. I used a flat bladed screwdriver inserted into the slot in the front of the ram where the primer toggle would go, and it rotated readily with very little force. I'm glad I tuned in and viewed that little video. I didn't even know that the ram rotated like that, and I've had that press probably 10 years or more.

I just fixed an annoying problem.

Thanks guys.