The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 27, 2012, 11:33 AM   #1
papa squid

GUN VALUES

I have several handguns that I am thinking of selling. I am trying to place a value on each of them. I am hoping that someone out there can give me some insight on prices. I was a ffl licensee many years ago and these guns are leftover inventory. I surrendered my license more then 20 years ago and these guns have been sitting in the safe ever since. I have the following guns.

1 colt trooper MKIII, NP. .22 MAG, MODEL 4564P-NEW IN BOX.
1 COLT DETECTIVE SPECIAL .38 SPL. NICKEL PLATED- EXCELLENT CONDITION
1 S&W MODEL 59, BLUE 9MM DA-NEW IN BOX
1 S&W MODEL 48-4 .22 MAG-NEW IN BOX
1 S&W 8-3/8" MODEL 29, .44MAG NICKEL-NEW IN PRESENTATION BOX
1 ITHACA MODEL 37 M&P .12 GA, NICKEL MODEL 371 (RIOT GUN)
1 S&W MODEL 66, .357 MAG, 6" SS- NEW IN BOX
1 NIKO GOLDEN EAGLE RIFLE, 7MM MAG-NEW IN BOX
1 LORCIN L380C, .380 AUTO-NEW IN BOX
1 FEG MODELPA63, .380 AUTO- EXCELLENT CONDITION
1 MAKAROV BAIKAL MODELIJ70-NEW IN BOX
1 S&W MODEL 39 NICKEL, 9MM DA-EXCELLENT IN ORIGINAL BOS

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIAT SOME HELP WITH VALUES ON THE GUNS, I HAVE BEEN AWAY FROM FIREARMS BUSINESS FOR MORE THEN 20 YEARS AND HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO PRICE THESE GUNS. I HAVE LOST INTEREST IN TARGET SHOOTING AND I AM KEEPING A COUPLE OF PERSONAL PROTECTION WEAPONS AND MY FAVORITE SHOTGUNS AND HUNTING RIFLES, I WILL BE SELLING ALL THE GUNS LISTED ABOVE.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE,
PAPA SQUID
Old September 27, 2012, 11:39 AM   #2
aarondhgraham

This link will help you,,,

This link will help you,,,

Click here please.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 27, 2012, 11:41 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I suggest an investment in the latest Blue Book. Those prices will be retail, so you realize you won't get those prices if you sell to a dealer, but they will give you a place to start without contradictions and irrelevant postings.

Jim
Old September 27, 2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Stressfire

There is often a large difference between what a book says a gun is worth and what the market is willing to pay.

Gunbroker.com is a pretty well-known auction site - completed auctions can be useful for seeing what guns will actually go for
Old September 27, 2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Archie

Some things don't change...

Guns are worth what someone is willing to pay. The trick is to find the person who wants it most. Blue Book of Gun Values is a good start as a background, but regional differences can alter those values.

I would suggest you explore posting these guns on one of the on line auction sites. That will give you exposure to the greatest audience who may be interested on those particular guns.

New in box guns - even of relatively 'ordinary' nature - are always sought by some collector. For instance, the nickel Model 39 appeals to me, but I'm currently in 'slow cash flow' mode. No doubt someone could outbid me handily for such a pistol.

The best of luck to you, sir.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 27, 2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Joe_Pike

I just sold a Colt Trooper MK III .22lr no box for $525. The magnum version is more rare, so, obviously worth more. I also just sold a Colt Detective Special for $325. Earlier this year I sold a nickel Colt Cobra in the box for $465. And. last, but not least, I sold a nickel S&W model 19-4 with the box for $375.

I recovered what I paid for the guns, which is better than I normally do, but I kept hearing and reading how these guns were worth "this much" or "that much". So, after several months of trying to sell these guns for "this much" or "that much" I took what people were willing to pay.
Old September 27, 2012, 08:53 PM   #7
papa squid

Thanks everyone for your help so far. I get the impression that a lot of the blue book values are very inflated. I appreciate particularly joe pikes comments, keep em coming
Old September 28, 2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Skans

These are just rough calculated guesses:

1 colt trooper MKIII, NP. .22 MAG, MODEL 4564P-NEW IN BOX. $1,000
1 COLT DETECTIVE SPECIAL .38 SPL. NICKEL PLATED- EXCELLENT CONDITION $500
1 S&W MODEL 59, BLUE 9MM DA-NEW IN BOX $600
1 S&W MODEL 48-4 .22 MAG-NEW IN BOX $1,000
1 S&W 8-3/8" MODEL 29, .44MAG NICKEL-NEW IN PRESENTATION BOX ?
1 ITHACA MODEL 37 M&P .12 GA, NICKEL MODEL 371 (RIOT GUN) ?
1 S&W MODEL 66, .357 MAG, 6" SS- NEW IN BOX ?
1 NIKO GOLDEN EAGLE RIFLE, 7MM MAG-NEW IN BOX ?
1 LORCIN L380C, .380 AUTO-NEW IN BOX $80
1 FEG MODELPA63, .380 AUTO- EXCELLENT CONDITION ?
1 MAKAROV BAIKAL MODELIJ70-NEW IN BOX ?
1 S&W MODEL 39 NICKEL, 9MM DA-EXCELLENT IN ORIGINAL BOS $650
Old September 28, 2012, 11:58 AM   #9
joe frederick

s&w 38 special

Im trying to find year made for a s&w 38 special ser #931633..the #by the cylinder is mo 4
Old September 28, 2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Stressfire

Quote:
Im trying to find year made for a s&w 38 special ser #931633..the #by the cylinder is mo 4
Try reposting that in the S&W serial search or in the Revolver forum

http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22
Old September 29, 2012, 09:56 AM   #11
papa squid

skans

Skans,
thanks for taking the time to look up some values for me. I have a 4 yr old blue book and the prices you gave look similiar to blue book prices. Can't seem to find any one who can value my golden eagle (grade 1) i get estimates of $1000 to $4000. She is a beautiul piece with gorgeous burled walnut monte carlo stocks. I have found some on line for sale but none in 7mm rem. Magnum. I think my best bet will be to try and sell them at a gun show? I tried selling through gun broker online and had bad experience, won't use them again.
Old September 29, 2012, 03:40 PM   #12
Skans

Papa,

I think that you will find selling all of those guns at a gun show frustrating. Unless you price them where dealers would consider buying them, they would be slow movers because you'd have to match them up with the right collectors. I would suggest contacting Rock Island Auction. http://rockislandauction.com/ These guys run a top-notch, honest auction specializing in firearms of all kinds. I've attended several of these auctions in person and am always impressed. What I'd do is contact them and see if you can send them your list and then get their feedback.
Old September 30, 2012, 05:55 PM   #13
BigJimP

Cost on some of your guns can vary by region of the country as well...

I think you might do better - by putting them on consignment in a good local used gun shop - if you have one in the area / or even a retailer like Cabelas....they should be able to help you price them as well.
Old October 1, 2012, 11:42 AM   #14
papa squid

AUCTION

Thanks big jim,

looks like the auction will be a great way to sell my more valuable pieces. I apprieciate that tip.

I have a very collectible colt 1911 military with original military leather, ammo pouch and several original military hardball rounds. This was my father in law's weapon that he bailed out with over china in wwii. He was a member of the doolittle raiders and i have documentation showing that this was his issue weapon. Looks like at auction that piece will bring about 5k. I wasn't sure how to sell that one and i had an offer from cajun pawn stars for 2500.

Again i appreciate the help from everyone.
Thanks,
stan (papa squid)
Old October 1, 2012, 12:08 PM   #15
carguychris

I'll tackle some of the S&Ws and ComBloc guns...

Quote:
Im trying to find year made for a s&w 38 special ser #931633..
Is there an alphabetical prefix? 5-shot or 6-shot?
Quote:
1 S&W MODEL 59, BLUE 9MM DA-NEW IN BOX $600
1 S&W MODEL 48-4 .22 MAG-NEW IN BOX $1,000
The M59 would sell for ~$100 less in my area. People seemingly just aren't very interested in them around here.

I agree with the M48-4 value, but IMHO both of these guns would need to be posted to an online auction or S&W forum to sell it for these prices in a reasonable time frame. Not very many people collect .22Mag K frames or M59s, and if you try to sell these guns locally, they may collect dust and/or attract lowball offers. YMMV.
Quote:
1 S&W 8-3/8" MODEL 29, .44MAG NICKEL-NEW IN PRESENTATION BOX ?
What's the dash number stamped after the model number inside the yoke cut? 1970s-1980s guns- M29-2, M29-3, and up- are much more numerous than earlier models and don't command the same prices.
Quote:
1 S&W MODEL 66, .357 MAG, 6" SS- NEW IN BOX ?
M66 no-dash $650, add $50 if it has the early stainless finish rear sight and base. M66-1, $575. M66-2 and later, $500.
Quote:
1 FEG MODELPA63, .380 AUTO- EXCELLENT CONDITION ?
1 MAKAROV BAIKAL MODELIJ70-NEW IN BOX ?
FEG $225, Makarov $275 with the commonplace adjustable rear sight, $350 with the rare military-style fixed rear sight.
Quote:
1 S&W MODEL 39 NICKEL, 9MM DA-EXCELLENT IN ORIGINAL BOS $650
M39-2, agreed. M39 no-dash with long extractor, alloy frame, $850. M39 no-dash with steel frame, $1,500.
Old October 1, 2012, 03:39 PM   #16
Skans

Quote:
M39-2, agreed. M39 no-dash with long extractor, alloy frame, $850. M39 no-dash with steel frame, $1,500.
I just saw an M39 no dash nickel in junst-under excellent condition sell at a gunshow a couple weeks ago for $525 - that's what I based that one on. The guy who bought it had a table at the gun show (private seller), so he could have spotted it and snapped it up. I ended up paying a pretty penny from that private seller for a 2-digit 1st generation Colt Mustang - I just couldn't pass that up.

FWIW, some collectors are starting to take notice of the vintage S&W autos. They are still a great value for what they sell for. No one knows if they will ever catch on in a broader collector's market.