The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 18, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1
jambrdly

Why do I need an AR ???

Why is an AR or an M1a superior to a regular old Remington 7400 for an apocalypse-is-coming-anytime-now rifle? Are they really that much sturdier or more accurate?
Old July 18, 2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Jo6pak

Stick with the old 7400, when the apocolypse gets here, there will be plenty of ARs lying around
Old July 18, 2012, 06:35 PM   #3
'88Scrat

Personal preferance I suppose but I'll take my M1A over both.
Old July 18, 2012, 06:46 PM   #4
jmr40

Quote:
Are they really that much sturdier or more accurate?

YES!!!
Old July 18, 2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Mrgunsngear

They have the potential to be much more accurate, that's for sure. The big advantage of the AR is that it's a 'jack of all trades' rifle. It can be used effectively for HD, hunting, competitions, ect....

That said, there's certainly nothing wrong with your 7400.
Old July 18, 2012, 07:12 PM   #6
johnbt

"Why do I need an AR ?"

So you'll be really familiar with how it works if you ever need to use one.

What kind are you going to get?
Old July 18, 2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Quentin2

You can use whatever you want but you're missing out if you don't try out an AR.
Old July 18, 2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Botswana

EDIT - Nevermind, didn't know much about the Remington 7400 before I posted. Not sure my recommendation was all that good.

My general rule is reliability above all else, at least for a weapon I might count on for defense. The 7400 might be fine for hunting but not so sure I'd trust my family's lives to it.

Last edited by Botswana; July 19, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old July 18, 2012, 07:42 PM   #9
BillM

Here's a link that may provide a bit of insight for your decision:

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/200...rifle-choices/
Old July 18, 2012, 08:09 PM   #10
jmr40

I'm not concerned with an apocalypse. As another poster noted, if that actually happens there will be plenty lying around. My AR's are the most versatile, useful guns I own. They are accurate, right with my best bolt rifles. Ammo is dirt cheap. Recoil is almost non-existant, around 3-4 ft lbs compared to 17-18 ft lb in a 308. Lightweight and compact with a 16" barrel and a telscoping stock.

Powerful enough for 99% of my needs. Don't let anyone tell you they are not a more than adequate SD round. They have made the shotgun obsolete in LE and military applications. Plenty of power for deer sized game. Today's prices are quite resonable, about the same as a new Remington 750, which is the newer version of your 7400.

Far, far, more reliable and accurate than a 7400. The 7400's are high maintenence guns that require an awful lot of TLC just to keep them running. Put one in a harsh environment or try to shoot more than 4-5 shots in fairly rapid rate and they will fail rather quiclky. They just weren't designed for that. A 7400 would be about the last gun on my list for a survival, SD rifle. A good bolt rifle in 308, something along the lines of the Ruger Scout rifle would not be a bad choice if you wanted something larger than 223.
Old July 18, 2012, 08:14 PM   #11
Edward429451

The 7400 will do in a pinch. Keep in mind that the Military Rifles are designed for a very high round count, whereas the 7400 is not. I'm not bashing the 7400 at all, I like them, but they're not a service rifle and will not hold up over time to the same things that the ARs & M1As will. If you want to practice a bunch, get an AR in 223 and keep the 7400 for hunting.

You need an AR because ammo and parts and mags are everywhere now, plus it's sorta like owning an American Flag in my opinion.
Old July 18, 2012, 09:05 PM   #12
chris in va

AR's are fun toys. Mostly.

And yes I have one.
Old July 18, 2012, 10:43 PM   #13
Justice06RR

Buy one!

You need an AR because they are fun, and also very purposeful rifles that will serve many uses. There is nothing wrong with jumping on the bandwagon, and there will be plenty of parts for you to choose from depending on your preferences and purpose.
Old July 18, 2012, 11:17 PM   #14
Addler

You actually need a 22 caliber replica of an AR rifle.....There are several very nice dedicated 22 caliber brand names on the market........The feel is similar and often you have to look hard to tell the difference from the real thing.

I sold my two AR 15s and two AK 47s and switched to 22 caliber.....I save a lot of money as I often shoot several hundred to over a thousand rounds when I go to the range with the grand kids...

The grand kids enjoy the looks of the 22s and are happy that they don't have to put up with the recoil and noise of the bigger calibers.
Old July 19, 2012, 02:44 AM   #15
bacardisteve

You dont need an AR. I carried one for six years in the military and have no inclination to get one. I do have an m1a,Fal and two M1 Garnad's that can do everything an ar will and more. Your 7400 might work in a pinch but have you ever tried rapid fire with it? Mine wouldnt cycle if I tried to fire it as fast as I could. Maybe it was just mine who knows.
Old July 19, 2012, 05:06 AM   #16
darkgael

need

Why do you need an AR?
If you have to ask that question, you probably don't.
That being said, my AR is, as another poster already noted about his own, one of the most versatile firearms that I own.
Durable, reliable, wildly accurate, cheap to feed, easy to work on.
Pete
Old July 19, 2012, 05:53 AM   #17
one4gatr

BillM....

Now thats a pretty funny site!
Old July 19, 2012, 05:59 AM   #18
jason_iowa

Ya don't. I go back and forth on getting one. I don't care for the 5.56 the M1A is superior in 7.62nato imo. For what you pay you just don't get that much rifle. I have enough AK 47 and 74s and enough ammo for each to arm the neighborhood they are much better combat rifles then the AR in my experience. I would get one for punching paper or shooting pdogs if I could pick one up for a couple hundred bucks but for 600-thousands its not worth it.

M14 is the best battle rifle ever made imo and well worth the money. To each his own I guess lots of people like the black guns.
Old July 19, 2012, 09:37 AM   #19
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules of Conduct
The End Of The World As We Know It (TEOTWAWKI), AKA: SHTF or Doomsday threads and Zombie threads
Quote:
for an apocalypse-is-coming-anytime-now rifle?
I see we have another Stupid Homicidial Teenager's Fantasy thread.
Old July 19, 2012, 01:32 PM   #20
Lemmon

Did not need one either, but

I did not need one either. Had an old Browning "BAR" 30-06 that my friend wore out but still worked fine. Stripped the scope and replaced the iron sights and it works like a champ. Great for taking with me in the rack in my pick up truck. Don't need 30 round clip. I think 5 rounds of 220 grain round nose 30 cal caliber bullets will stop most anything around rural SC.

I did break down and bought/built a lower. Purchased a dedicated upper for 22LR and that has been a lot of fun. I now have 223/5.56 uppers also but rarely shoot them over the little 22LR.

Having fun in SC....

Lemmon
Old July 20, 2012, 02:26 PM   #21
MuzzleBlast

Location: Arkansas. Much better place since Bill and Hillary went home.
Need?

What does "need" have to do with it?

Molwn labe!
Old July 20, 2012, 06:57 PM   #22
JKHolman

Bill M's contribution is the best part of this thread. I have never been so insulted and ridiculed about my firearms as this. I laughed until there were tears in my eyes.
Guys, you owe it to yourselves to read Bill M's flyer. It may even be funnier than the one on the:
AR15/AK-47/Mosin Nagant piece.

Bill M, you are a riot. Thanks for the laughs.

- JKHolman
Old July 20, 2012, 09:54 PM   #23
USMCGrunt

Personally, I despise the Remington 7400 with every fiber of my being! Have you ever tried to take one apart for a simple cleaning job? In order to get the bolt out, you need to remove the barrel and in order to get the barrel off, you need to get the barrel nut off that was torqued on by king freakin' kong! Brownells sells a special wrench to get the nut off (gorrilla strength not included) but you can tell the people that attempted this without the propper wrench by the rounded nuts left by various wrenches. The other problem is that unless they are kept very clean, they are not all that reliable. If you are looking for a sporty deer rifle that may only fire a 20 round box of ammo in a year, yeah, they may work alright for you. If however you are looking for a rifle that will hold up long term and stay working, there is nothing the 7400 will do that an M-14, Garand, FAL, HK91, AR, AK or a host of other rifles that were designed to still work under harsh conditions will do, do just as well if not better and still keep working!
Old July 21, 2012, 10:41 AM   #24
Acc371

All above are good reasons.
Plus, the M4 is modular, parts are pretty much interchangeable.

Do you NEED one! No. Do I need more than 1 rifle, pistol & shotgun? No.
But, hey, I'm a guy!!!
Boys & their toys!:
Old July 21, 2012, 11:32 AM   #25
Lateck

I'll agree with johnbt....
That's the reason I got one.... (I did not have the pleasure of government training... )

One could pick any of the posts above and have the right reason to have OR have-not....

Lateck,