The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 14, 2011, 06:16 AM   #26
Superfuzz

To be honest I never gave this cartridge a 2nd thought. But, now Im intrigued. I read the GunBlast review on the .327 Mag SP-101 and a couple other sites. Its seems like a relatively low cost fungun if nothing else. Something definately different. I may give it a look when I get back home...just for kicks.
Old April 14, 2011, 06:54 AM   #27
CajunBass

I've never wanted one because I could think of absolutly no good reason to have one. Anything it would do some cartridge I already had would do just as well, or maybe better.

Why bother?
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 14, 2011, 07:21 AM   #28
Hunter2678

I like the advent of this cartridge...now if LGS would reliably stock the ammo at a reasonable price it would be my first choice in a CCW snubbie..beats out the 38 sp in terminal performance while rivaling the 357 mag, adding an extra round all while having less recoil than the 357. Whats not to like?
Old April 14, 2011, 07:43 AM   #29
tulsamal

I've been a fan of .32 Magnum for many years. I've got one Single Six with adjustable sights and one in fixed with a birdshead grip. And, IMO, therein lies the problem for .327. At least why I don't own one. It's like S&W had a hard time selling .32's that were K frame. If people were going to carry a K frame, why not get a .38? The smaller cartridge needs a smaller gun.

I realize there are some snubbies in .327 out there but the .32 Mag was beloved by many who used it as a field gun. Since we are going to carry this gun all the time while doing things in the woods, it can't be big and heavy. It isn't the 8 shots that turns me off on the Blackhawk, it's that it is a .44 Magnum size gun! They could have used the 50th Anniversary .357/.44 Special frame anyway!

Again, IMO, the ideal .327 would have a medium length barrel. At least 4 5/8ths and probably 5.5" would be better. And it would be based on the Single Six platform. The custom makers have shown it can be done. Or S&W made the Model 60 in .357 Magnum with a five inch barrel. I didn't buy one since it had the damnable internal lock but it sure would be a sweet size for .327.

I just don't see it in a larger gun. OK, as a long barreled hunting gun in some situations. But my Single Sixes in .32 Magnum as just too useful. Same gun in .327 could use my .32 Magnum reloads for general use but have some .327's in the belt loops just in case they were necessary.

Gregg
Old April 14, 2011, 07:53 AM   #30
ohen cepel

I would have like to seen one made in a 10rd revolver with rails for HD use. It would be large, but could have been a good selling in the states with a mag limit.

Plus, I think it could have brought something to the market that may have caught on and pushed the round to more success.

As a revolver fan I would be very tempted by a 10 shot viable HD tool in .327.

It is hard to change people out of their .38 J Frame which I think is what hurt it for the CCW market.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old April 14, 2011, 08:40 AM   #31
jimbob86

2 thoughts.....

Quote:
The problem is that the cartridge doesn't really fill any pre-existing void.

I'm actually impressed with the load.
It actually creates another void: a 6th chamber in a j-frame or sp-101. It is up to YOU to fill it ..... and empty it, and fill it again.....

Were you impressed with the .32 S&W Long/New Colt Police? How about the .32 H&R Magnum? No? There is a void it fills: A .32 cartridge with impressive terminal ballistics (for a self defense/Carry gun).
Old April 14, 2011, 08:47 AM   #32
jimbob86

Quote:
I like the advent of this cartridge...now if LGS would reliably stock the ammo at a reasonable price it would be my first choice in a CCW snubbie..
You know, handloading does not get any simpler than a straightwalled pistol cartridge....... buy your self defense loads at the store, and shoot reloads for practice. Your carry ammo could last forever (no worries about bullet set-back from repeated chamberings like with an auto pistol).
Old April 14, 2011, 08:48 AM   #33
Wyosmith

I believe the gun makers unwittingly killed it. It's a very cool outdoorsman’s cartridge for fun and for small game. It was however marketed as a defense cartridge almost 100% and put into short barreled revolvers.
I believe is S&W would have picked it up in a 5" J frame or even a 6" K-frame, both with thin light barrels, it would have sold very well.
If Ruger would have put a light 6" barrel on their GP101 in that chambering, I think they would have sold thousands of them. They could also have put it in a Single Six size gun and sold them well, (which I was told they did, but only in very small numbers)
Anyway.....my 2 cents worth....
Old April 14, 2011, 09:28 AM   #34
mrray13

I love my sp101 in .327. Grabbed the first one I found. Put Hogue boot grips on it and haven't looked back. Although to be honest, I'd like to see Ruger make a 1.5" version, with notched sights, to go with the 3" windage adjustable rear. Maybe even DAO, would be a tank of a pocket gun. 6 rds vs 5, with good ballistics, IMHO, it's a no brainer.

Then again, all my other revolvers have at least a 6" barrel. With the 4" GP100, the Blackhawk, and I know Charter and S&W are making versions, I don't think the .327 is dead, it's just starting to get noticed. I think Taurus is making one. I'll have to google, lol.

edit: googled....

Quote:
Ruger, Charter Arms, Taurus, and Smith & Wesson are the major gun manufacturers producing small frame six-shot .327 revolvers. In addition, Ruger offers a 7-shot version of their GP100, along with an 8-shot New Model Blackhawk, each in .327 FM.Freedom Arms makes a single action as does U.S. Fire Arms with the 8 shot Sparrowhawk.
Seems as though there are more options then I thought, lol!
Old April 14, 2011, 09:37 AM   #35
Technosavant

I'd be eager to get a .327 Fed Mag, but there's one issue:

In order to sell something, that thing must first be actually produced. The only .327 Fed Mag guns I've seen are the Charter Arms products (oh heck no), Ruger SP-101 (good gun, but too large and heavy for a pocket revolver like my 642) and a S&W J frame with a 3" barrel (again, too long for pocket carry).

If S&W would take their aluminum or Al/Sc J frame and make a 2" barrel 6 shot .327, I'd be on it. Ditto if Ruger would do the same with the LCR. I'll be swinging by my gun shop this afternoon, and if they'd have such a thing sitting on the shelves, I guarantee I'd buy it.

But nobody makes one.

It would also make for an interesting 8 shot K or L frame revolver, particularly if they made them with a 3" barrel and a lightweight frame. Great for carry, plenty powerful, good capacity. Again, but nobody makes one.

I don't think it's lack of interest on the part of the consumers, I don't think it's a lack of capability on the part of the round, I think it's that the gun makers are more interested in making .410 bore revolvers. :barf:
Old April 14, 2011, 10:40 AM   #36
Glenn E. Meyer

I, foolish me, bought a SW 632 J frame - SS 3" comp barrel. I wanted it - which is a good enough reason.

However, it is a sweetheart to shoot and with the 327 six round cap - is a reasonable SD gun for the small hands folks. I ain't a giant. It is a nice shootable fit for my family members. With SW Long rounds, no sweat. BTW, my theory is that if someone can put a round into the BG, that's ahead of the game, so spare me the stopping power rants. Dad here can handle the cannons.

It is also a companion to my SW 432. I got it for a great price when SW was discontinuing them. It's a very light pocket gun with 6 rounds and reasonable oomph. I like it to drop in a pants pocket for a stroll to the mail box or whatever.

Now, normally I gear up - semi, mags, bug, knives, flashlight, OC, phone - etc. - but sometimes you just like to have that 432 and a speed loader. Better than nothing.

It's the free market - don't buy one. I do agree that a SC J snubby would be a fun gun if the round works in it.
Old April 14, 2011, 10:41 AM   #37
Ronbert

I lean toward the view that "standard is better than 'better'"

I reload 7 calibers already. 1 more just isn't worth the trouble.
Old April 14, 2011, 10:43 AM   #38
microman

I never had any interest in this caliber. I want something
I can walk into Walmart, and find. Yes, my Wally World
carries .357 mag
Old April 14, 2011, 10:43 AM   #39
Usertag

I didn't know about this. or that others hated it alot. I absolutely love the .327 mag. And its a great Self Defense round.
Old April 14, 2011, 10:45 AM   #40
Daryl

Ok, I've read a few posts; certainly not all of them, but I disagree with what I've read so far.

Plain and simple, the .327 magnum was mis-marketed; badly.

They aimed it at the buyer in need of a SD cartridge, and largely ignored the sport-shooter crowd. When they finally offered it to the sport-shooters, they offered it in firearms that compete with more common, and more powerful cartridges.

I.E., it was first offered in snubnose revolvers, and it competed with the .38 special and .357 mag. Performance is said to be between the two. With the cost and (lack of) availability of ammo, most folks just went with the time proven two that the .327 competed with.

Then when Ruger finally "woke up", if only slightly, they offered it in a full sized SA Blackhawk, and a GP-100. Again, they're placing a smaller cartridge to compete with larger calibers in the same gun. With the option of shooting .38 specials or .357 mag ammo, most folks won't opt for the smaller cartridge(s) that can be shot from a .327 magnum.

Quite honestly, they should have offered it in a Ruger Single Six. Reason? Then it's competing with smaller cartridges in the same sized gun. A Single Six is very packable on the trail; more packable than a Blackhawk, for sure. The added power offered by the .327 in this small framed SA revolver would appeal to me, as well as other shooters. Perhaps S&W should have offered it in a longer barreled J or K frame for the same reason.

As it stands, I'm still very interested in a .327 magnum. I'm just not interested in it in the platforms that the firearms manufacturers are offering it. If I buy a GP-100, it's going to be chambered for .357 magnum. Ammo is far cheaper, and with the ability to shoot .38's, which are also highly available, I don't want one in .327 magnum.

And if I'm buying a SP-101, the same idea applies. If I'm buying a J-frame snub, it'll be in .38 special. With the price and availability of ammo, the manufacturers shouldn't try to make the .327 mag compete with these two.

The day I find a Single Six in .327 mag in my gunshop, I'll take it home with me. Until that day, I'll stick with the older and proven cartridges. I'd also jump on a K-frame Smith so chambered, as long as it has a ~6" barrel. Such a gun would seem very useful to me.

Daryl
Old April 14, 2011, 10:49 AM   #41
Technosavant

Heh, I may have to take my words back.

Just peeked at the S&W site, and I saw this model 632.

2.1" barrel, dovetailed front and rear night sights. 6 round capacity. Pro Series. The only catch is that it isn't an Airweight or Airlite frame.

DO WANT. Must discuss this one with my local shop this afternoon.
Old April 14, 2011, 10:56 AM   #42
twhidd

I would love to see a lever action rifle chambered in .327 magnum. Or, maybe even a single shot rifle in the flavor of a Steven's Favorite. Now those might be kind of fun.
Old April 14, 2011, 01:27 PM   #43
jimbob86

Quote:
In the mid-1950s a bomb shelter made a lot more sense than a .327 Magnum makes today.
A bomb shelter was completely useless as anything other than a root cellar or a place for hanky panky...... 20 years later, most of them ceased to exist.

20 years from now, revolvers chambered for the .327 will still be useful, and fully functional.
Old April 14, 2011, 01:30 PM   #44
jimbob86

Quote:
As a revolver fan I would be very tempted by a 10 shot viable HD tool in .327.
And how big would that frame and cylinder have to be?
Old April 14, 2011, 01:44 PM   #45
jimbob86

Quote:
They aimed it at the buyer in need of a SD cartridge, and largely ignored the sport-shooter crowd. When they finally offered it to the sport-shooters, they offered it in firearms that compete with more common, and more powerful cartridges.
The first .327 I saw was a 3" barrelled Ruger sp-101 with an adjustable rear sight, exposed spurred hammer and sticky rubber grips: hardly a pocket snubby, there. Too many folks see what they want to see- you saw "Ruger sp-101" and assumed it was a SD gun (thoughit would work for that).

Quote:
I'd like to see Ruger make a 1.5" version, with notched sights, to go with the 3" windage adjustable rear. Maybe even DAO, would be a tank of a pocket gun. 6 rds vs 5, with good ballistics, IMHO, it's a no brainer.
I'd betcha that the "nearly equal to .357 energy levels" claim would go right down the drain if you chop the barrel in half: with that light bullet, the energy relies on velocity......

Me, I'd like to se a 4" or 5" barrelled sp-101 with better sights in .327..... but I have other things I need to buy first.
Old April 14, 2011, 02:20 PM   #46
deadcoyote

IMHO it's a catch 22. I love the 32 H&R mag, so the idea of a more capable round that could shoot the H&R's is appealing. However, the ammo and components are expensive so i will not buy it until prices go down and availability is better. Of course, prices and availability won't improve unless more folks buy it...
Old April 14, 2011, 02:50 PM   #47
MashieNiblick

i'd love a 6 or 7 shot sp101 in .327, but i am not sure how or what the muzzle velocity would be out of a 2" barrel for a bullet of this weight.

seems like the lighter the bullet, the more it accelerates through an increase in barrel length.

from a manufacturer's perspecitve- i'd have to see how the muzzle energy of a 2" .327 would compare with that of a .38 special + p prior to building one.

if my intuition is correct with respect to bullet weight and barrel length having a strong correlation to muzzle velocity an ammo manufacturer couldn't rightly pack more powder into a .327 round for the shorter barrels- else people would be using them in the full length barreled models as well, and this may well run the risk of overpower through these models.

again, i could be wrong, but intuition tells me the lighter the bullet, the greater the change in muzzle velocity due to barrel length.

.327 may be near the limit of acceptable muzzle velocity differentials.
Old April 14, 2011, 03:33 PM   #48
FrankenMauser

Your areas must still be price-gouging like crazy on the .327 ammo.

Around here, a box of the .327 Federal American Eagle 100 gr JSP ammo is going for $22.99 to $24.99. The .357 Mag equivalent American Eagle 158 gr JSP is going for $23.99 to $28.99. The same goes for the defense loads. At least in my area, .327 ammo is cheaper than .357 Mag, and about equal to some .38 Special ammo.

1,700 fps out of my 5.5" Blackhawk, with a 100 gr bullet that can handle that velocity; versus 950 fps out of a .38 Special, for the same price? Yea... I'll take the .327 Federal.

The American Eagle 100 gr SP is the only factory load I am willing to buy. Everything else comes from my reloading bench (.32 S&W through .327 Federal).

Quote:
It's because no security or government forces have adopted it. Look at the popular cartridges today, they're all in use by government or law enforcement. 38, 357, 9mm, 40, 45, 357 sig.
The .327 may not be far behind (though, likely in a limited aspect). I bought a large lot of once-fired .327 brass from a company that supplies LE agencies in Tennessee and Kentucky. When I placed my order they said they would have another 16,000 pieces of brass a few months down the road, because they had several agencies testing S&W and Ruger .327s as possible duty weapons. I don't know how likely the change would be (or what the particular use would be), since they would probably be going from a hi-cap semi-auto to the revolver. But, just the interest was intriguing.
Old April 14, 2011, 03:45 PM   #49
jimbob86

Quote:
i'd love a 6 or 7 shot sp101 in .327,
The sp-101 frame will hod a 6 dhot .32 cal cylinder. If you want 7 shots, you have to move up to the GP frame.
Old April 14, 2011, 03:55 PM   #50
tulsamal

Quote:
Were you impressed with the .32 S&W Long/New Colt Police? How about the .32 H&R Magnum? No? There is a void it fills: A .32 cartridge with impressive terminal ballistics (for a self defense/Carry gun).
I can't agree there was a void there since .32 Magnum was capable of nearly the same velocities as the .327. Of course you had to reload to get that performance! They introduced the cartridge with low pressure limits and with some minimally strong guns from H&R. Companies like CorBon thought about making SD loads for it that really had high velocity but you always had to worry that somebody might put one in an H&R.

Skeeter and Dean Grennel did a magazine article where they showed it was perfectly safe to go over 1500 fps with an 85 grain XTP out of a Single Six. I've been using some of their loads for years in mine. The .327 came along kind of like the .44 Magnum did. A longer case so that the factory could be sure nobody would put a super high pressure .44 Special in an older gun.

To restate: the very best use of the .32 is in smaller frame guns. For an outdoors type of gun, the best thing is to pick a platform that is .22 LR sized. Like a Single Six. If you are going out to plink for hours, you take the Single Six in .22 LR. If you are going to carry the gun all day when working and you just might have to shoot some medium size vermin, you take the Single Six in .32 Magnum. Or .327 if they would make it that way!

Gregg