The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 20, 2010, 09:27 AM   #1
salvadore

the dreaded marlin jam?

My Marlin 94CL jams up all the time, well, most opf the time. I crank the lever down and can't chamber a round because it sticks tight. I then have to dig out the round in the carrier and when it pops up the next round pops into the carrier....I have to send it back to Marlin, huh?
Old June 20, 2010, 09:45 AM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Does it do it with all ammo ?
Old June 20, 2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Tuzo

This is a link, marauder.homestead.com/files/marlin94fix.html, with very good information concerning the Marlin jam. The procedure described an effective fix that cured my 1894's tendency to jam.
Old June 20, 2010, 12:12 PM   #4
salvadore

I don't know, I haven't tried cycling with my cast loads yet. The rifle was having this problem when I first got it 2 or 3 years ago, and after I started benching my loads I would load one round at a time, so it wasn't an issue until now that I have my loads worked out and want to load the magazine for informal shooting and varmints. It doesn't jam every time but it seems to jam every magazine full.

I checked out that website when the problem presented itself and filed a little where they suggested but am nervous taking off too much metal.....It's still pretty much brand new.
Old June 20, 2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Alaska444

If it is a new Marlin under warranty, send it back to them. Call them and they will send you a UPS slip for you to send it. I bought a .444 Marlin back in late 2008 and only shot it a few times, but except for one outing, they always ended with the dreaded Marlin jam. They sent it back to me within two weeks. I haven't shot it yet, but from what I have heard, they do good work when it goes to the factory. My dealer tried to fix it 3 times before I sent it back to Marlin. They will want maintenance information and how long it has been jamming. They sent it back to me with no charge at all. I should be able to get back shooting it soon to see how they really did.
Old June 20, 2010, 08:15 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Up until the "Cowboy shooting" fad, Marlins were usually sold to hunters who rarely fired more than a few boxes of ammo out of them, so I suspect that problem didn't crop up very often, if at all. Now that it has, I hope Marlin will take corrective action.

Jim
Old June 20, 2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Wildalaska

Funny as the Marlin warranty station for Alaska, we rarely see "the dreaded Marlin jam".

Maybe its only endemic to pistol caliber rifles owned by guys who post on the net.

WildjustasanobservationAlaska TM
Old June 20, 2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Alaska444

Nope, not too many people fire a .444 as a pistol but some crazy folks do. The Marlin jam is real, not just by people on the internet. In fact, my .357 1894c never jammed yet.
Old June 29, 2010, 03:16 PM   #9
Ifishsum

Not sure if it's the same exact problem, but my buddy's Marlin lever started jamming like that, even when there were no rounds in the gun. Turns out that one screw had worked loose, IIRC it was on the right side of the receiver about in the middle where the shell lifter would hinge. All I had to do to fix it was tighten that one screw. YMMV but it's an easy thing to check.