The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 5, 2009, 10:38 AM   #1
btenbru

Help Puchasing a Colt Gold Cup Trophy

So I have come to the conclussion that I want to purchase a Gold Cup Trophy, the only problem is I live in California. I went to my local gun store to see if they can order it for me and they said they couldn't because Colt doesn't even ship this model to California. Can someone explain why? The guy at the gun shop looked annoyed with me for even asking. Can someone possibly explain how I could purchase a brand new Gold, or maybe give me ideas of how to go about it, I would appreciate it very much
Old December 5, 2009, 10:55 AM   #2
kraigwy

California as you know has some screwy gun laws and may manufactors and jobbers dont want to screw with them. The only fix I see, (and I dont see it happening in California) is to vote out your anti gun people.

I have no ideal why Gold Cups are on the bad gun list, but then I havent looked into it.

But, California being as it is, The state still has a lot of Bullseye shooters and bulleye matches. The only way I can think of to get a gold cup in california is to got to these matches and ask around, eventually you will find some one who has one for sale or knows who's retiring from compitition and is selling their guns.

I think you are gonna find out that they are pricy, but If I was in the market for a gold cup, I wouldnt mind paying the asking prime.

I got mine in the mid 70s when they were reasonable, If I remember I paid retail and it was about $350. I had to have one so I didnt mind the price.

Its over 30 years old and I've shot the poop out of it, I've had to tighten it up a time or two but it still shoots great.

Main thing, if you want one, DONT GIVE UP.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 5, 2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Casimer

Firearms sold in CA need to be certified by the state.

Here's a database of approved guns - http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

You're not going to be able to get a new GC from Colt.
Old December 5, 2009, 12:08 PM   #4
kraigwy

Holy Crap, I can't believe we have a state with that BS, even California.

The Cold Gold Cup is a target pistol.

I take back my comment about the way to change California, its too late. Only option I see is to MOVE, run, get out of town.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 5, 2009, 02:09 PM   #5
pogo2

Flexibility...

If you scan the CA approved handgun list posted previously, you will see that quite a few 1911 manufacturers have paid the fee and jumped through the hoops to get their guns listed, even though Colt has not done so for the Gold Cup Trophy.

In looking at the list, I see over 100 1911s listed, by manufacturers like Kimber, S&W, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Valtro, Springfield Armory, Sig, Les Baer, Para Ordnance and Wilson Combat. If you're going to live in California you have to be flexible in your gun purchasing. I'd recommend looking for something equivalent to the Gold Cup from one of these other manufacturers.

Your alternative is to look for a good used Colt Gold Cup in California and buy it through a private party transfer from the owner.
Old December 5, 2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Tommy Vercetti

I have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy, it's very nice
Old December 5, 2009, 04:59 PM   #7
max it

Gold Cup

Bru,

I have a Gold Cup National Match, I bought it used from a Bullseye shooter whose eyes are going because of age; macular degeneration. {dont forget your optomotrist} Anyway good used ones are around.
Nothing personal but I really dont like that many members of the forums dont think enough of their buddies to at least give us a general idea of where they are living. That being said, here in So. Cal I have seen one for auction at "Little John's Auctions" held in Anaheim, Google it. Also mine was on consignment at Ade's Gun Shop also in Orange.
Mine is Series 80: my very good gunsmith tells me the modifications from the series 70 dont hurt the accuracy a bit. Mine is a tack driver. I even used it at a Steel match. Not fast enough because of the round count but very accurate. I hardly had to shoot a target twice.
Like the other member said, dont give up.
Good luck,

Max
Old December 5, 2009, 05:43 PM   #8
btenbru

Thanks

Right on guys thanks for the posts. MAX I'm from Nor Cal, San Mateo to be exact. POGO I appreciate you listing those other manufacturers, that helps a lot. But can you guys give me any suggestions on anything that is pretty similar to the gold cup trophy (performance and style) I really like how simple and smooth it looks, I'm not one for the fancy #@&.
Old December 5, 2009, 08:31 PM   #9
pogo2

Similar manufacturers to Colt...

Quote:
But can you guys give me any suggestions on anything that is pretty similar to the gold cup trophy (performance and style) I really like how simple and smooth it looks.
I would look at the target 1911 models from Kimber, S&W, Springfield and Sig. They each make one or more models with adjustable sights in the same price range as a Colt Gold Cup (about $1000). The guns from Wilson, Brown, Bear, Nighthawk and Valtro are much more expensive than this. The Sig and Kimber target guns are shown below.

Old December 7, 2009, 09:47 AM   #10
Blue Grass

Is this list only for new handguns sold by gunshops? I see stainless Colt Pythons listed but blued ones aren't. What would be the difference? I love California. It is a naturally beautiful place and I've met some of the best people I know from there but how did they ever allow idiots to make up a list like this? No wonder it's called the land of fruits and nuts.
Old December 7, 2009, 10:25 AM   #11
pogo2

The CA certified safe gun list...

Quote:
Is this list only for new handguns sold by gunshops? I see stainless Colt Pythons listed but blued ones aren't. What would be the difference?
The CA gun list was passed by the legislature about 1999 and signed by the governor. It applies to guns sold by dealers, either new or used. It does not apply to private party transfers between individuals or to guns brought into CA by new residents. LEOs are exempt from the list. To get onto the list, a gun must be submitted for testing by the manufacturer, who pays a fee to the state. Almost all guns pass the testing, but only currently produced guns are submitted for testing, for economic reasons. So older and out of production guns aren't usually on the list.

The reason a stainless Python is on the list but a blued one is not is because Colt submitted the stainless gun but not the blued one, for testing. I don't know Colt's reason for that.

The CA gun list is a thinly veiled attempt at gun control by the liberal legislature, using "safety" as the rationale for the law. I doubt that it has any effect on the total number of handguns in CA, but it results in certain models being more prevalent than others.
Old December 7, 2009, 10:50 AM   #12
max it

Gold Cup in Cal

HI Bru,

I would call every gun shop in range of you and ask if they have one on consignment. Also contact Little John's Auctions and see if they have one on auction. It can be bid on over the phone. They are located in Orange.

I love mine, only that it isnt for steel shooting. But I regulary take it to the range for target shooting.

Good Luck,

Max