The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2009, 12:55 PM   #1
StiveC2007

Mossberg 500 12ga scope mount

All right shotgun gurus, I need to put a scope on my 500 for shotgun season. ive been looking for mounts and ive come across the B-Square mount and the plastic weaver ones. which one would go wit, now if the answer is neither then let me know what ones are good. Also how hard are these scope mounts to put on. Im ok with tools and putting things togeather.
Old November 17, 2009, 01:00 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I don't have a use for a scope on a shotgun as I do not have a rifled barrel for those long range high dollar $abot $lugs... At 65 yards, my short barrel, cheap slug and poor eyes can still hit the pump house just fine.
Brent
Old November 17, 2009, 01:02 PM   #3
jgcoastie

Eh, Brent....

Quote:
my short barrel, cheap slug and poor eyes can still hit the pump house just fine.
Just why in the hell are you shooting your pump house to begin with? Putting more holes in it don't make the water get cleaner...

I couldn't resist...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 17, 2009, 01:53 PM   #4
StiveC2007

Now im lost
Old November 17, 2009, 02:23 PM   #5
jgcoastie

I think what Brent was trying to say is that a scope is not really needed....

But since when did need equate into our firearms decisions?

Are you looking for a saddle-style or top-rail style?

Saddle-style

Top-rail-style

Above all else, I would do some extra searching to find mounts made of steel. They'll hold up to the recoil of a slug gun better than aluminum...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 17, 2009, 02:35 PM   #6
StiveC2007

I know i dont "need a scope".

the only reason im looking is I can't remeber if the shorter barrel I have is rifled or not (dads gun), if its not rifled i probably going to need a scope/red dot. Because the bead is not good enough
Old November 17, 2009, 03:46 PM   #7
jgcoastie

Take a peek down the bore, it'll be easy to see if it's rifled or not...
Old November 17, 2009, 06:17 PM   #8
StiveC2007

"Take a peek down the bore, it'll be easy to see if it's rifled or not... " I NEVER KNEW THAT

Come on JG coastie give me some credit, i kno the difference between rifled and smooth bore. only problem is im at school and the barrel is at home. Hidden in some god forsaken place. And i really cant remeber if its 12 or 20ga either.
Old November 17, 2009, 06:38 PM   #9
jaguarxk120

Go with the B Square mount, plastic always breaks at the wrong time. You can get a dot scope that is red/green color, I have one on my 1911. Picked the thing up at a gun show for about $40, very small dot with three stadia lines, your eye will pick up the center instantly.
Old November 17, 2009, 10:01 PM   #10
jgcoastie

Quote:
Come on JG coastie give me some credit, i kno the difference between rifled and smooth bore
I was kidding bud... Difficult to convey sarcasm on this innernet doo-hicky...
Old November 17, 2009, 10:07 PM   #11
guns and more

Look on e-bay.
There is a company called UTG "under the gun." that makes rails etc.
I bought a rail for my Mossy 500 that is aluminum, very well made and attaches using the four screws on top of the receiver. (they include the screws, and you remove the existing plugs.)
It matches the shape of the receiver perfectly.
I used mine to mount a LED light, but I'm sure a scope would be easy.
I think I paid $20 or less.
Old November 17, 2009, 10:15 PM   #12
rantingredneck

Well, if the barrel has a bead, you can bet it ain't rifled. Rifled barrels will either have a cantilever for mounting optics or rifle sights.

Do you know if the reciever is drilled and tapped for a scope mount? If it is, I would go that route over the saddle rail. Some 500's are D&T'd some are not. You'll have to check.

If not get the saddle mount. Either one is easy to install. Be aware though that if your gun is drilled and tapped to be careful when installing the screws for the rail. The Mossberg's receiver is aluminum and the screws are steel. It can go badly if you try to get them "farmer" tight.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old November 21, 2009, 10:02 PM   #13
StiveC2007

Just to finish this thread off. I didn't need a scope on my shotgun, shot it just fine with the iron sites. At 75 yards I was able to put three slugs touching each other (not a cloverleaf). So I should be good, Also I took out the Ithaca pump which has a old fashioned reddot on it from weaver, after a couple of years being mistreated by my dad and being left in the moist basement in a padded case by my brother it still kept a pretty good group. too bad that its rusted, cause it was a beautiful gun extremely light. It was a good day over all, did alot of practice with the .22. But thanks for all the ideas and info. and hogdogs you were right about not needing a scope