The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 29, 2009, 07:23 PM   #1
landcruzr

Competition loads??

I've done a couple of pin shoots and steel plate shoots at the local club, and I've watched some other competitions on you tube that I've found links through here.....
Are these guys that are firing countless rounds in fractions of a milli second hitting accurately, and are they making their own loads that are so light that there is no real recoil???
If some of you are making those loads, can you share some recipes that work in a 40, and 10mm??? Or are those major secrets?
Thanks in advance
Old September 29, 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Maromero

I could tell you but then I would have to kill you.
Old September 29, 2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Maromero

It's called preparation and practice, lots of it.
Old September 29, 2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Jkinkade

It does take lots of practice and preperation,,,,,,,,,,and loading your own will help some also on both cost and recoil. The less recoil,,,,the less muzzle flip,,,

I load all my 45acp and 9mm for IDPA, but don't have any recipes in your calibers.

There should be some on here who do.
Old September 29, 2009, 10:16 PM   #5
Field

all you have to do is put less powder in your case, there isnt much secret to it i dont think.

one reason i would like to keep rounds close to factory hotness is that it adds to reliability
Old September 29, 2009, 10:24 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Plate loads are light because all you have to do is ring the steel.
Pin loads are actually powerful so as to knock the bowling pins off the table even with poorly centered hits.

The shooters on tv are fast because they have good equipment, learn good technique, and practice a lot.
Old September 30, 2009, 03:30 PM   #7
lmccrock

At a steel match I squadded with some revolver shooters who ran 90 gr bullets from their 38 specials, with just enough powder to safely drive the bullets. Generally, that is true for steel, and the semi-autos are tuned for light loads (e.g., lighter springs).

The paper punching games (e.g., USPSA or IDPA) have a power factor to meet in their respective divisions. So, my 45 loads push 230gr bullets at about 740 fps. So, not weenie loads, but less oomph than pin, or even ball loads. The 40 shooters will run at 200 gr at about 850, or a lighter bullet a little faster. For some specific loads, check here.

Lee
Old September 30, 2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Japle

Quote:
Are these guys that are firing countless rounds in fractions of a milli second hitting accurately, and are they making their own loads that are so light that there is no real recoil???
I shot in the Steel Challenge Nationals last year (and will again this year) and the difference between the "super squad" shooters (the Army Marksmanship Unit, Team S&W and others) and the rest of us was night and day. Fire and water.

The pros have ranges available to them, the best guns, tons of ammo, etc. A decent "regular" shooter was getting off the first shot in 1.2 - 1.4 sec. The pros were shooting the whole stage in 2.5 - 3.0 sec.

Here's Jerry Miculek shooting Pendulum in 2.51 sec.

Most shooters would be delighted with 5.0 sec.