The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 14, 2009, 09:03 AM   #1
rantingredneck

Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke tubes????

Anyone using them? How's the performance been (with what type of shotgun and ammo?)?

Any testing on larger sizes of buckshot? All I can seem to find online are results from T and #4 Buck. Looking for info up to #1 or 00. I'm thinking it may be too tight for the larger sizes but that's what I'm looking for info on.

I'm looking for applications beyond coyote hunting here (as you've probably already figured out)........

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old August 14, 2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I suspect you've hit the nail on the head - the choke is probably too tight for #1 and bigger. I've had better success using Modified choke for 00, though I have found a couple of Full chokes that love #1. Can you call the company and see if they have a choke for the buckshot sizes your planning to shoot?
Old August 14, 2009, 11:14 AM   #3
rantingredneck

Al, I'll probably do just that.

I was browsing Bass Pro Shops in Concord, NC last weekend and ran across the Dead Coyote choke and IIRC, there was a "Dead Deer" choke too, but they didn't have one for Remington or Mossberg.

I almost bought the Dead Coyote hoping for a dual purpose solution, but didn't. I can't find any information online on a "Dead Deer" choke from Carlson's so I'm wondering if I hallucinated that .........

I typically use anywhere from IC to Imp. Mod. for 00 (depending on the gun and brand of shells), but I've picked up some 3" #1 shells recently and haven't patterned them yet.

Honestly, with the Flite Control 00 shells I'm using from Federal I'd expect I'm probably splitting hairs here.....

Any thoughts on Patternmaster? I've read mixed reviews on the Patternmaster chokes. Seems people love them or hate them and I'm hesitant on spending 85.00 to find out which one I'll be.

Old August 15, 2009, 05:43 AM   #4
LanceOregon

PatternMaster is absolutely awesome. I have one for my Beretta Extrema.

I myself have never witnessed nor heard of anyone knocking the Pattermaster. It has been around a long time. I bought mine after seeing a fellow hunter absolutely clobber geese with one on his Browing BPS. These large Canada Geese just folded up dropped like a dead fly hit with a giant fly swatter!!

Just don't get the ported model. They are too loud. I got the long range model with no ports.

I had previous bought a Comp-n-Choke ported choke for my Winchester Super X2, and learned the hard way how loud they are.

--
Old August 15, 2009, 06:09 AM   #5
rantingredneck

How does it perform on Buckshot??

I've read some online reviews where people either loved it (like you) or hated it. Few, but vocal.