The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 9, 2009, 10:26 PM   #1
grayghost7

Winchester 52 C bolt issues

I've just purchased a late production 52 C (SN 103xxx) that I'm restocking with a thumb hole target stock that I've had for 40 years. I had to relearn how to remove the bolt from the barreled action, but with a copy of Winchester 52 B manual that I downloaded, I had no problem removing the bolt. I now have the barreled action in the target stock. Here's my problem. When I installed the bolt, it went in fine up to the ejection port (I depressed the sear to make it eaiser to insert the bolt). However, the bolt will not go forward to battery and I cannot get it to come out. It slides very freely about 1/4 inch fore and aft, but it is hitting something metallic at both ends of this short range of motion. When I move the bolt to the rear while pushing the back side of the trigger forward (normal procedure to remove the bolt), I can feel slight movement in the trigger when the bolt hits a hard stop. I mention the target stock because it is none factory. The only difference that I can think of that might be relevant is that instead of the factory machine screw at the rear of the reciever, which is used to attach the reciever to the stock, my setup uses a wood screw in the target stock. Maybe this has some revelance. I've tried all that I can think of to no avail. Any suggestions?
Old October 18, 2009, 11:02 PM   #2
keith the collector

trigger

On my c I have to push the trigger forward to release the bolt.
Old October 19, 2009, 10:01 AM   #3
4EVERM-14

See if this helps. With a small plastic or brass rod go through the ejection port and depress the sear downward then push and hold the trigger forward. This should clear the bolt way. Wiggle the bolt as it's inserted.
Another option is to push the trigger forward ,insert and hold the bolt,then pull the trigger. Either way it can be a little tricky.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100