The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 1, 2009, 08:34 PM   #1
TerminalVelocity16

M1 Garand question

Recently I've seen a lot of people saying that I should use grease on M1's instead of oil. Just wanted to see what everyone thought about this...and if so, does it matter what kind of grease? Thanks everyone.

-Term
Old May 1, 2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Chris_B

Yes, you should use grease- where grease is required. Why? The manual says so Plus grease stays put. Oil is typically for if a surface rotates, sliding actions typically use a grease

http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/garand/m1.htm

The grease that originally came with the rifle was Plastilube, or a type of Lubriplate

There are several varieties of Lubriplate, I forget exactly which is the one for the rifle. Lubriplate is an old, old name in lubricants

As long as you use a quality grease...then no, there's really not a problem using one grease or another. Some are not miscible though, like lithium and petroleum. But using lithium...not an issue. I use the Lubriplate even though it does start to dry up after time...but before that happens, I have cleaned and lubed the rifle. So long as the grease is one that will cover the range you need for the rifle, I shouldn't worry about what grease you use. Bearing grease is used by some folks

Be careful of over-greasing though, and keep grease and oil off the bolt face!

Last edited by Chris_B; May 1, 2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old May 1, 2009, 11:06 PM   #3
jrothWA

Use any of the white "lubriplate" grease or...

any of the teflon based. ("Plasati-lube")
Areas to use are the boltlugs & lugways, but not the rearfaces of the lugs, the firing pintang and upper edge of bolt, the inside cut-out on the Op rod hump, the bottom surface of the Op Rod handle and it inside surface, plus the tang of the handle and its fine channel in the receiver.

THe underside of the barrel, the Op Rod hooks and the corresponding hooks of the bullet guide(forward of the receiver) wipe your greasy fingers over thr interior parts (not a heavy coat) same with the Op rod Spring OD, and the area of the Op rod behind the gas piston, more to protect from corrosion from hot gases.

oil on the trigger and safety (Light coat)

A little is always better than a lot.

Note: oil anything that pivots/rotates, grease anything that slide.

Last edited by jrothWA; May 1, 2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: added commercail lube name
Old May 2, 2009, 06:37 PM   #4
TerminalVelocity16

Thanks guys.

-Term
Old May 2, 2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Slamfire

My advice:

Use LSA in the winter, and plastilube (or equivalent) in the summer.

In artic conditions, don't use any lubricant at all.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:44 AM   #6
MacGille

The manual stated to use grease, but in all the years I carried and used an M1, I never saw anyone grease their rifle. We used a LIGHT coating of oil and wiped it down. Normally we kept 'em dry except for anti rusting protection. The tolerances are loose enough that greasing wasn't necessary.

I'm not saying not to grease 'em, just that in the Army we didn't. I use lithium based grease in mine today.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old May 3, 2009, 12:43 PM   #7
sneaky pete

In the Marines we used Lubriplate !!!

old Sneaky here. It says it all in the title. I carried one in the '50s and The Gunny ever told us to put a light swipe of Luberplate on the Gas Piston along with all the other places Marines put their lubriplate which we all did CUZ the Gunny NEVER lies. We used Lupriplate in Korea, In Japan and In 29 Stumps--MY Godfather used lubriplate in The "Big One--WW-II" Lubriplate rocks!!! THANX--SNEAKY
Old May 4, 2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Orlando

You can buy so called high tech gun grease but save your money for something else and buy a tub of good quality wheel bearing grease. Here are the grease points http://www.nicolausassociates.com/PD...easePoints.pdf

Just wipe everything else down with a light coat of oil. The gas cylinder and gas piston should be dry, no grease. You can lightly wipe the op rod wipe oil but thats it. The gas piston and gas cylinder are stainless steel and are meant to run dry
Old May 4, 2009, 05:16 PM   #9
Chris_B

Actually, like Pete mentioned, the gas piston might be a place to think of lubing. I've heard this from many sources, and if it was good enough for the USMC, I'll bet it's good enough for me
Old May 4, 2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Orlando

It makes no sense in greasing the piston after a few shots it will all be blown out. Grease it to much and it will cause short stroking and actually be a detriment as it will collect carbon
Old May 4, 2009, 09:49 PM   #11
Flatbush Harry

Google M1 Garand Grease Points...and grease those. Note that you don't grease or lubricate anything in the gas tube but you do grease the barrel as indicated where the operating rod rubs. While the M1 Garand will work dry, it was designed to be greased. I use either Lubriplate or Tetra...I scored a few of the little GI grease pots recently and keep one with my GI cleaning kits in the buttstocks of my M1s although I have yet to ever use a jointed steel cleaning rod. When I clean them at home, I use lubriplate although I've had good success with Tetra in the past. You can get Lubriplate from Brownell's.

FH
Old May 5, 2009, 11:16 AM   #12
Chris_B

I have been told the grease at the piston is not for lubrication purposes
Old May 5, 2009, 12:06 PM   #13
Dood_22

I've never heard of greasing the piston. Applying a little light oil like CLP, yes, but not grease.