The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 18, 2011, 12:49 AM   #26
tape

Never
Old May 18, 2011, 10:28 AM   #27
triumph666

mine has stovepiped prob 10 rounds in 2000 shot and those were out of 31rnd mags....but ive had another 5 or 6 where the slide stopped an 1/8th inch from fully closing on next round even with a stiffer recoil spring
Old May 18, 2011, 02:49 PM   #28
Dave T

The one I have now was purchased used and was a "police trade in" so I have no idea how many rounds had been through it before it came to live here. I'm no longer reloading 40s so it has only fired factory ammo. I would guess it's been fired an additional 800-1000 rounds by me and nothing has gone wrong in that time. I've also qualified twice with it for my LEOSA Certification so it worked under those conditions and not just when plinking or punching holes.

Should probably say I added a Storm Lake barrel as I thought I was going to reload cast bullets. Turned out I didn't get a 40 progressive press but I left the after market barrel in anyway.

Dave
Old May 18, 2011, 07:12 PM   #29
voyager4520

Not a G22, but I had several failures to feed with a brand new G23 magazine in my G23 while all of my other magazines worked fine. It was FTF of the last round every single time I used that magazine. Looking closer, Glock didn't cut away the excess plastic from in front of the feed lips like they had done with previous iterations of .40 magazine tubes. Also, the little plastic nubs in front of the feed lips were made much smaller and had more abrupt angle changes.

I called Glock, they said I probably got a bad spring so they sent me a new one. I cut the excess plastic away from in front of the feed lips and shaved a little plastic off the "nubs" to make the angle changes less dramatic, to pretty closely match the last design of .40 magazine tube that Glock made, plus I installed the new spring they sent me. Now the magazine works flawlessly. I don't know whether it was just the spring, my own whittling on the plastic, or a combination of both that made it work properly.

The magazine was one that had a #8 follower and a 1 next to the Glock logo on the rear of the magazine tube. Other people had similar issues with these magazines, and some had the same issue with G23 magazines that had #8 follower and a 2 next to the Glock logo. In all of those cases they replaced their 9-coil springs with 10-coil springs and the magazines began to function flawlessly.

I never experienced it with my G23, but there was an issue with Gen3 .40's(except the G27) where the gun would fail to feed with a light attached to the rail. Some even did it without a light attached to the rail. Glock's take on the issue was that having something attached to the rail increased the weight of the frame or changed its shock absorption qualities so that the speed of the slide increased, thereby not allowing the rounds to rise fast enough in the magazine resulting in a failure to feed.

Glock's solution was to replace G22 magazine 10-coil springs with 11-coil. The 11-coil springs are now standard for all full size .40, .357SIG, and .45GAP magazines but the 9mm magazines still use 10-coil springs.

Strangely Glock didn't see it necessary to also replace G23 9-coil magazine springs with 10-coil.

Getting to your particular case, it could be the ammo you're using or the department's maintenance routine for the pistols. Maybe weak guide rod springs, weak magazine springs, crud built up around the extractors. Just because it's "factory new jacketed ammo" doesn't mean it's quality stuff. Factory ammo just isn't what it used to be.

There's also the issue of Glock's newest extractors. They apparently changed their manufacturing method for extractors. The old ones were machined steel, the new ones appear to be MIM. The new ones have pretty sloppy tolerances, some don't even fit into the slides. I'm not sure exactly when they started using the new extractors, but my NRR prefix G27 has one. Comparing that extractor to an older machined extractor, the new one has obvious molding lines and a large raised area on the top that looks like a little 1mm tall porous volcano of silver metal. The gun works fine, but just moving the extractor back and forth in the slide without spring tension on it the extractor hesitates about halfway through its movement. The gun also chews up the rims of casings pretty badly and there are a lot more flakes of brass inside the gun after a range session.

In a month or so I'm going to order a bunch of spare extractors to have on hand, and once I have the spares I'll attempt to sand off the raised area on my G27's extractor and see if it stops chewing up brass but still functions correctly in the gun.

Last edited by voyager4520; May 18, 2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:25 PM   #30
chasep255

Never. I have shot many different types of ammo and never had a problem.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:11 AM   #31
Willie Lowman

I have never had any malfunction with my model 22.

I shoot my 24C much more. Last year I had a rash of failure to feed issues with it. I scratched numbers into my magazines and found that mag #7 was my problem. Mag #7 is out of rotation till I get a new spring for it. Problems have stopped.