The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 28, 2006, 03:47 PM   #26
spacemanspiff

I have NO sympathy at all for animals that get pepper sprayed, beaten down, kicked, or shot because of their aggressive behavior while loose on property not owned by their keeper. It is the keepers fault for allowing the dog to get loose, but I will spray, beat, kick, or shoot any dog that is aggressive and loose from its owner.

I have sprayed several dogs. It should only be counted on as a mild deterrant, to buy you time to make distance or dispatch the dog.

Our local police has several times announced (after loose dogs have been shot by those it attacks) that such a shooting is 100% lawful, as the shooter is in fear for their safety.
Old August 28, 2006, 07:21 PM   #27
DeathRodent

You did OK but now watch the Dog Whisperer and you won't need the pepper spray at least for shelties and ankle grabbers.

Hey Tydephan, did you put the dog to sleep just because it was blind? Blind dogs can do OK - I have one now (glaucoma) and had one before (cataracts). I've read that dogs smell in color. They can be good house pets even when blind. Heck, my blind basset went swimming in a friends in-ground pool saturday evening - we thought she fell in by accident until she went for a second dip!
Old August 29, 2006, 03:22 AM   #28
Esquire M Busterbury

"Dog whisperer" is awesome, I find it even applies to small children.
Old August 29, 2006, 08:07 AM   #29
tydephan

Death,

We put the dog down because she was unable to function. We lived very near a road and she had already wondered out into the road and caused several near-accidents.

But like you say, I have seen dogs that are blind and function fairly normal. In our case it was more to prevent a worse accident.
Old August 30, 2006, 07:54 PM   #30
pumpkinheaver

Do you not have a leash law in your town? Call the law on the little lap rat.
Old August 31, 2006, 04:20 PM   #31
HCfan

Quote:
This is just my 2 cents but when im correcting bad behaviour in my dogs i use a small half litre bottle of water with a hole in the top , the next time this dog runs up to you just yell a short sharp command like "STOP" or "OFF MY YARD" and give him nice cold blast of water square in the face.
Its harmless and dogs dont like it after a couple of cold showers the dog will only have to see the bottle in your hand and know not to mess with you.
, if you did that to my dog, she would be your friend. She loves to be sprayed, and if it's in the face she will open her mouth to catch the water to drink.

Same here. I love animals but if the owners can't control them then whatever happens to them is justified. As for being a little dog, the worse lacerations that I've ever had was from a little dog. Almost took off my thumb.

No thank you. Spray and if that doesn't work then it's gun. I will keep my digits thank you very much.
Old August 31, 2006, 08:26 PM   #32
bclark1

haha, i was just thinking about this sort of stuff! i had a small lab mutt, maybe 30-40 pounds, come at me while i was running the other night. when i stopped and turned he backed down, but he'd been snapping at my heels a few steps. i had no idea where he came from or where he went. crazy dogs.
Old September 3, 2006, 01:23 PM   #33
mbs357

Just push the button on the bottom and he is rendered limp and helpless.

EDIT:
Wow, no need to lock threads anymore, just call me.

Last edited by mbs357; September 4, 2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old September 7, 2006, 06:59 PM   #34
PythonGuy

Quote:
Attacked by a toy dog, sorta
Is this like being kinda pregnant? Good thing we've got guns to protect us tough guys from the "killer" toy dogs!!
Old September 7, 2006, 09:51 PM   #35
USP.40

While out walking my Pitt bull I had a rotty come out of now where and get into it with my dog. They were fighting I had my USP with me but didn't want to shoot the dog first. I grabbed the Rotty by it's collar with two hands and threw it a good distance. I guess it was the adrenaline luckily by that time the owner had run over and I proceeded to cuss him out. I'm not a samll guy 6'2 330 but if that guy didn't run over the next step I would have shot the dog if it didn't leave my dog alone.

Section 13. That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...
Old September 8, 2006, 07:36 AM   #36
PythonGuy

A "rotty" is not a toy dog, either. I'd imagine anyone walking their dogs should carry pepper spray or the equivalent to defend themselves and their animals.
Old September 8, 2006, 07:52 AM   #37
USP.40

I do now carry some OC spray with me when I'm out walking. That way I can spray the dog and not have to engage it myself. Then if that doesn't work I can use lethal force as a last resort.

Section 13. That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...
Old September 8, 2006, 01:50 PM   #38
PythonGuy

Sounds reasonable enough to me. I personally can't stand my neighbors letting their dogs run loose, not because they are vicious, but because of the gifts they leave on the lawn. Perfect example of liberal schmucks overlooking the laws when they break them, remember when Hillary C had her dog running loose and it got hit by a car or something. Or was that her husband???
Old September 11, 2006, 08:32 AM   #39
9mmsnoopy

Buy or borrow a trap and then "relocate" it to a better part of town(for you).

i like dogs, but not irresponsible dog owners.
Bushmaster AR15
Old September 17, 2006, 08:37 PM   #40
popeye

I can't believe the negativity I'm reading against dogs here. Kick em, punt em, mace em, etc. It's the kid's fault for letting the dog get out. He knows the dogs propencity to act like a nut case. I have a small nut case dog that barks and goes crazy when people run by or cycle by the house. When I only had him for a couple years he got off the leash because I stupidly attached the leash to the ring that held his tags on not the ring on the collar. He saw a young couple walking a Beagle and they were pusing a baby stroller complete with baby. So my dog strains at the leash breaks the ring and charges these people half a block away. They stopped, the Beagle stopped and my dog is dancing around them barking like a maniac. My dog bit no one. A neighbors dog got out the other day and when I caught her she bit me. So I just chained myself to a tree for three weeks. No rabies.
Old September 18, 2006, 12:03 AM   #41
PointOneSeven

I've set my limit to 45+ lb dogs or pitbulls gnawing on my leg before I'd bust a cap. I predict I will never need to shoot a doggie. Werd.
Old September 18, 2006, 12:28 AM   #42
skeeter1

Well, I may be talking out of my butt here, but it strikes me that a good hosepipe or "super soaker" would probably discourage most dogs, and no one gets hurt in the process. Well, except for the owner who now has a wet dog to give a bath to!
Old September 18, 2006, 12:51 AM   #43
faust

popeye, your dog went after a couple with a baby in a stroller?

If that were my wife and kid, you would have one dead dog. Don't you think your dog scared the *&^% out of them? That's completely asinine.

I lived with a girl who had a 145 lb dog that she "rescued". I myself am only 145 lbs, and in a fight, my money would be on the dog. I got sick and tired of the thing growling at me when i mowed the lawn and she would say stupid stupid things like "he's just playing" or "he's barking at the lawn mower"

Whatever.

If your dog is charging someone, barking at them, that is *wrong*. That scares the hell out of many people. If it's a yorkie, that's one thing, and they have sharp teeth. But if it's a 145 lb dog, I don't care if it's "Just playing" or "Just protecting its turf". It's going to be one large dead carcass. Why should I risk a bite or worse, when I'm just minding my own business.

Imagine if a 145 lbs person came running at you screaming. You'd go to condition red pretty fast. Same here. Do not justify the dog's behavior.

For the record, I've pepper sprayed at least 2 dogs. It's not an instant stopper, but they seemed to learn. It's *your* dog, the assault charge would be assigned to YOU.
Old September 18, 2006, 12:55 AM   #44
faust

For the "super soaker" and "64 ounce Big Gulp" crowd... You really think a spray of water is going to stop a large angry charing canine? I'm not willing to bet on it. Maybe you know that *your* dog would respond, but the dog is a stranger to me. I'm not going to risk spraying the thing with a water gun in the hopes that "it doesn't like water".

I can't believe someone would suggest a water gun to defend against an unknown animal.

Tell all the criminals who run from K-9's to try throwing soda at the dog, see if the dog gives a damn.

Nope. Unknown charging barking dog, I'm going for the pepper spray first, while I draw a bead with an actual deadly weapon.
Old September 19, 2006, 02:32 PM   #45
ammoeater

Ever seen a dog attack? Not pretty. The last thing you want to do is let a charging dog get within 10 feet of you, I don't care how big he is. And if I kill a dog because he was charging me, it's nobody's fault but the owner's. They don't deserve to own a dog anyway if they can't control it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, - go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
Samuel Adams
Philadelphia Statehouse
1 August 1776