The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 21, 2005, 01:35 PM   #1
leadcounsel

Holster for Keltec P3AT

Looking for a comprehensive suggestions on the best way to carry a P3AT if a BUG is ever necessary, to compliment a waistband (either internal or external) carry at 3 oclock.

Thinking ankle or pocket holster. Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated.
Old September 21, 2005, 01:53 PM   #2
Avizpls

ANkle and pocket work.

I have one of each, and got them at a gun show.
Old September 21, 2005, 02:09 PM   #3
bulbboy

try kevin manley at K & D holsters - great guy to work with - unbelievable prices for custom - www.kdholsters.com
Old September 21, 2005, 02:14 PM   #4
leadcounsel

I've thought about front pocket carry... however when I put my P3AT in my pocket the printing is OBVIOUS. I can't see how MORE stuff in the pocket is going to make it less obvious. Does the pocket holster only MASK the fact that it's a pistol and make it appear to be a wallet? How does this work? How comfortable is it?
Old September 21, 2005, 02:42 PM   #5
Don H

leadcounsel,

You just need different pockets. In the summer (shorts season) I pocket carry a Kimber UC in .45ACP in a pocket holster by hbeleatherworks.
Old September 21, 2005, 04:22 PM   #6
K-Man

As Don H essentially said, clothing makes a difference on what you can carry. Carrying in any pocket with tight fitting pants is most likely going to cause the gun/holster to print.

I have one holster that I make that is called a 2n1 convertible. Essentially you get a pocket holster with an antiprint panel that snaps on and off. Most folks use the holster itself in the front pocket, and then use it in a coat or back pocket with the antiprint panel attached. I've carried a P3AT in my front pocket of jeans with the antiprint panel attached and not had any difficulty drawing the gun.

A pocket holster should keep the gun in an upright and accessible position. Everyone is a little different in what they prefer in that respect, both in design and material choice, i.e., leather, kydex, etc. The cut or design of the holster itself is what aids in the "masking" of what you're carrying. (I've tried other holster makers stuff, and some of it prints pretty readily.)

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.
Old September 21, 2005, 04:29 PM   #7
2ksportny

I have a p32 that I carry in the pocket with a desantis nemisis holster. Both the p32 & the p3at are the same size & will fit. I do not like ankle rigs, for they are hard to get to. That is me though.
Old September 21, 2005, 06:39 PM   #8
MeekAndMild

Holster making isn't that hard. A few years ago I got some medium-heavy leather from Tandy, get a sewing awl and pair of scissors. I made the pattern from paper and put an extra layer to beef up the geometry on the bottom. Here is a comparison with a bigger holster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hlstr030.jpg (124.7 KB, 56 views)
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.