The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 4, 2002, 08:57 AM   #1
hube1236
Registration in progress

Handguns and the 357

I have a Ruger GP100 that I would like to use more of. The weight makes it a little heavy for CCW, but Dotting it and using it for hunting would be a dandy. The problem is, is that I need a HG producing 500 ft lbs of energy at 100 yrds to hunt deer. This is the only rule in the bool that I could find relating to HG hunting. This just means that I will not hunt deer- which I don't hunt anyways.

Are there animals out there outside of rats that a charged 357 would handle ethically and lawfully?

Happy Fourth!
Old July 4, 2002, 10:17 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ethically, yes; in Jawgia, lawfully, no. That is, with iron sights you'd limit your shooting distance to where you could hit the end of a beer can very reliably. That's probably inside of 50 yards.

My Sierra book sez that a 158-grain bullet at 1,200 ft/sec gives 505 ft-lbs at the muzzle; 360 at 100 yards. At 20 or 30 yards the package would be effective for a head, neck or heart/lung shot.

The Speer book lists hotter loads, for the Thompson Contender and "heavy-frame revolvers". Caution is advised, although such loads for hunting would be fired only for sight-in and the few shots on deer. Caution and good judgement is advised.

Art
Old July 4, 2002, 05:02 PM   #3
The Terminator

Changes this year

This year in Georgia, there is no energy requirement or barrel length requirement for hunting with a hand gun. Any centerfire pistol is legal, yes any. The state web site has not yet been updated. Pick pick up a copy at any store that sells hunting license. The 500 lbs at 100 yards was dropped because it was not possible to enforce. The 6 inch barrel requirement was also dropped. Yes, a 25 auto would be legal, but the state, I believe, contended that hunters would have more sense than that. - Best
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old July 5, 2002, 02:01 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

As much as it will start the "ethical" hunters to screaming, I agree with getting rid of the handgun energy regs. The number of deer that this might wound is a drop in the bucket when compared to deer populations in general, and deer highway injuries in particular.
There's worse things out there than the occasional landowner/hunter who wants to try out his .45 on the deer in his blackberry patch.
I hunt with a .44mag,BTW.
Old July 5, 2002, 02:23 PM   #5
The Terminator

The same is true for rifles, any centerfire cartridge is legal this year. There has always been a lot of politics in Ga. hunting regs, and not much common sense. I rather like the approach that the hunter has enough sense to know what is deer capable and what is not.

I do not like the "because you are not smart enough to know what you need" syndrome that has been used in the past. Admittedly, many will still hunt with a .223, but even my Mac 9mm is deer legal now. Does this mean that I am going to let my 30.06 sit in the safe? Why of course not. Would I hunt with a 357? Only if it was the only thing available and I could get a very close shot. I don't even carry a pistol into the woods anymore, but that does not mean that I won't carry one in the future. For me, it is just extra weight. I certainly do not think that hunters will be hitting the woods in droves with their ccw pistols, or whatever is in the dash at the moment. I like as much gun as is practical, in as small of a package as practical, whether pistol or rifle.
Old July 5, 2002, 02:33 PM   #6
JohnDog

Take a look at the CorBon loads for the .357. They have a 180gr softpoint that delivers 550fp @50 yds (which is the minimum req. for biggame handgun hunting in Colorado).

JohnDog
Old July 5, 2002, 02:39 PM   #7
The Terminator

I've noticed that CorBon makes hot ammo for a lot of older rounds, meant to be shot in modern firearms. I use CorBon in my CCW 38 spcl. as well.
Old July 5, 2002, 09:30 PM   #8
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Easy, get a 357 maximum .

In all seriousness those regs are to keep every yahoo with a pistol from shooting up the woods, vs a dedicated pistol hunter with enough gun to do the job.

I'm no fan of Cor-Bon loads in general (too hot rodded for my taste) but if you have a strong gun like a Ruger, the CorBon might be the way to go.

John is right, most handgun loads have to be in the 41-44 mag range to be legal in Colorado, thought the .357 Max easily passes.
Old July 7, 2002, 12:51 AM   #9
Zorro

Stop screwing around with Mouseguns! :barf:

Get a .44 Mag or .454!
Old July 8, 2002, 02:32 PM   #10
Jason280

Yes, politics have taken over with GA hunting regs this year. Not only have they legalized any centerfire pistol, but they have also allowed crossbows. I have always contended that the .357 was more than enough for GA deer, especially considering most deer here average around 125 lbs. Most all 150-180 grain solids, including some hot 125 HP's, will cleanly take deer. That is, as long as range is considered. I would say the .357 is 50 yd deer gun, depending on the conditions. A lot however, depends on shooting ability, as a .44 to the gut isn't near as effective as a .357 to the heart.
Old July 8, 2002, 08:30 PM   #11
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hey Hube, what about small hogs and coyotes? Seems to be a lot of those up and down the CSRV.
Old July 9, 2002, 10:11 AM   #12
KilgorII

Use Georgia Arm's "Deer Stopper." It's a 158 gr. GoldDot at 1475 fps for 763 ft/lbs from a 6" barrel.

Onlt $13.95 per 50 rounds. I've used this stuff and it a hoot to shoot. Your Ruger GP-100 will handle it with ease.

www.georgia-arms.com

Kilgor