The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 3, 2002, 07:13 AM   #26
GaTech

Several years ago my father went to Canada to hunt caribou. The meat that he brought back was marbled with fat and was the best tasting wild game that I've had for a long time. My number 2 choice would be the venison tenderloin (the loin inside the body cavity that can be butterflied).

However, I agree with the previous posts that the best tasting game is the one that requires the most work to obtain.
Old July 3, 2002, 08:34 AM   #27
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

It looks like my neighbor keano44 and I can both be dangerous in the kitchen.......................better put in a rush order for about a truck load of Tony Cacheries and some seafood to go with the wild game.
Old July 3, 2002, 01:13 PM   #28
Jack Straw

Food and hunting!!! My favorite topics!!!

GaTech,

First of all welcome to TFL; its a good bunch of folks here. I'm with you -- the venison tenderloin is one heavenly piece of meat. I see you are an engineer. If your work is in genetic engineering, why don't you build us a deer with a row of about six t-loins down each side?

The single best thing I have ever eaten involved Italian wild boar: pappardelle al cinghiale. Its a wild boar ragu served with inch wide ribbon-type pasta. Just thinking of it makes me drool. Come to think of it that was the best meal I have ever had in my life. While on our honeymoon last spring, my wife and I spent a day on a farm in the Chianti region and had lunch in the farmhouse. The pappardelle was my first plate which was followed by a plate of grilled meats (chicken, short ribs, rabbit and sausage made with more wild pork) served with cubed potatoes baked in olive oil and rosemary (golden crispy outside, hot and tender inside). I like the Italian sausage found in the U.S., but it is nothing like the smoky, salty, porky, beautiful flavor of that sausage. All that was washed down with the house wine (Chianti Classico Riserva, of course!). Then we had a glass of the house vinsanto with biscotti (the biscotti gets dipped in the strong, sweet wine) which was followed by a bowl of gelato (ice cream the Italian way!). It was vanilla sprinkled with a few drops of the house balsamic vinegar. I know you're thinking "Vinegar on ice cream?:barf:", but don't knock it until you've tried it! Then we toured the vineyard and took a stroll to the tasting room!!! I won't even go there...

I would go back in a heartbeat -- just for the food.

Jack

PS. One more thing GaTech -- and I just have to say it --

GO DAWGS!
Old July 3, 2002, 03:55 PM   #29
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Hey Tech, my apologies for not noticing that it was your first post...WELCOME. The tenderloin that you refer to we call cat-eyes here............like the coonass says ."some kind of good!"

Now I should not get into what Jack said bout "GO DAWGS" but aint Tech the team we (LSU) played a couple of years ago in the Peach bowl?
OK OK I quit (grin) but I was pulling for Tech in the College World Series(after LSU was eliminated)..................didn't work out.
Old July 3, 2002, 09:37 PM   #30
HerrJaegermeister

try this

Take a whole pheasant and brown in deep frying pan in olive oil.

Pour in a jar of good spaghetti sauce and a lot of basil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for two hours. You may need to add some tomato juice to keep it moist. Uncover and add half a bottle of Italian red wine 15 minutes from serving time.

Serve the pheasant for two over pasta. Drink the rest of the wine.

Or

Marinate venison steak overnight in a whole bottle of teryaki sauce in the fridge. Fire up the grill on very high heat. Sear venison pieces on both sides and cook to just below medium. Be careful, overcooked grilled venison can be used for boot leather.

(I prefer southeast Minnesota young bucks that have eaten corn and apples or Iowa bucks that have chowed down on corn)

Or

Thaw a whole pheasant and brine it overnight in a large bowl in kosher salt, coarse black pepper, brown sugar, bay leaf and tyme

Smoke it using apple wood twigs snipped from a tree. Use a meat thermometer and cook inside of breast to at least 160 degrees.

These are extremely popular at family events with a stout beer and quality cheese and crackers.

I have more
Old July 3, 2002, 10:14 PM   #31
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Yeah, GaTech, welcome to the asylum!

I've always been partial to the inner tenders of deer, as well as the backstrap. Some guys down around Blountstown, Florida, have a recipe to deep-fry 1/2" slices; it includes a bit of mustard in the meal-mix.

Antelope tenders are yummy, but Wow! are they rich!

And then I've had 12-mile days when the weather turned off hot and Bambi stayed hid and I would have been happy to have gut-shot javelina, by the time I got back to camp.

Art
Old July 4, 2002, 01:19 PM   #32
PJR

Best Game Walking: Caribou
Second Place: Pronghorn Fawn

Best Game Flying: Ruffed Grouse
Second Place: Snow Goose (smoked)

Honorable European Mention: English Wood Pigeon. Cooked properly it's the best.
Old July 4, 2002, 04:13 PM   #33
Zorro

Prong Horn Antelope, then Bobwhite Quail.

Smoked Albacore would be my top fish favorite.

Old July 5, 2002, 02:01 PM   #34
redrider

Still warm venison liver with Walla Walla sweets mounded in for good measure or heart from same or backstrap from same..... I got the munchies big time now. Can't wait to get out and do some huntin' Food for the mind, body and soul.
Old July 5, 2002, 08:07 PM   #35
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Had some smoked salmon that was out of this world on the last cruise we went on, but when it comes to fish it's hard to beat fresh sac-a-lait (that's crappie to you non-coonasses ..... means sack of milk in French) that's still fresh and flopping.................catch em, clean em, and fry em right on a sand bar on the Atchafalaya River. Throw all the scraps in the river..................viola no mess when you get home plus some of the best eating fish around.