The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2016, 10:45 AM   #1
Roadkill2228

Has anyone actually found the .300 win mag's short neck problematic?

Hi all, I reload for a .300 win mag (vanguard series 1). I love the rifle and the cartridge. Here's what I don't get. Everywhere a review is found on this cartridge its short neck is brought up as a shortcoming and even as a reason to not use heavier than 180-200 grain bullets. I myself have experienced the best accuracy with 208 and 220 grain bullets and have never had any problems or annoyances related to the short neck of this cartridge. Has anybody? Or is it just something armchair ballisticians like to complain about for academic reasons?
Old February 17, 2016, 01:19 PM   #2
AllenJ

I shot and reloaded for a 300 Win Mag for over 15 years and I never had an issue with the short neck. The "experts" claim the short neck means you have to seat heavier bullets deeper into the case, and that could cause accuracy issues. The problem with that is I was shooting a hunting rifle so 1.5 MOA was accurate enough, I was not looking to shoot one hole groups at 200 yards.

I've since sold the 300 and went with the 7WSM, another short neck cartridge. Again, I'm not seeing any issues with the short neck and this gun shoot sub MOA on a regular basis
Old February 17, 2016, 02:49 PM   #3
Road_Clam

I'm also running 208 amax's and 76 gr of H1000. I have a pretty deep chamber on my R700 Sondero barrel and I have to load the bullets pretty long to achieve my .020" off the lands . never had any inconsistencies. I can hold about .75 moa at 100 yds if I'm doing my part. Had enough confidence in this caliber and load to choose this rifle over my R700 .308 when I took the Sig Sauer "reach for a thousand" long range instructional class.
Old February 17, 2016, 02:58 PM   #4
F. Guffey

Quote:
Or is it just something armchair ballisticians like to complain about for academic reasons?
You two do not leave any room for a discussion. Years before the Internet there were a few that could be objective and they were fair, it was nothing a f few of them to look at something and then decide on a plan of what was possible.

Then there were others, if someone believe the 300 Win Mag, neck is short they should look at the neck on some of my wildcats. One has a case neck that is .217” long. I decided if the 300 Win Mag. neck was short at about .275” long my wildcats were shorter.

And then; I decided, because I was a case former I could do something about ‘the problem’; and I did.

F. Guffey
Old February 17, 2016, 03:38 PM   #5
Turok01

Nope haven't had a problem with the length of the neck on the cartridge. I shoot the 190 vld's and 208 a-max with fantastic accuracy.

Complaints on the neck length are as overblown as the complains about the belt. It's a non-issue.