The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 17, 2015, 10:40 AM   #1
DavidB2

Opinions o shooting the 1851 Navy .36 Caliber reprodution for accuracy?

I am contemplating getting an 1851 Navy .36 caliber. I want something that I might use for skirmish shooting in the future.

I currently have an Uberti 2nd model Colt Dragoon. An excellent quality reproduction firearm that shoots a little high; but is fun as I load it up more that the 1860 Army I used to have. For accuracy, I have a Pietta 1858 Remington .36 caliber. Very accurate pistol. Just wondering if the .36 caliber was more accurate than the .44 caliber. Since I have the Dragoon for power; I am wanting a Colt with increased accuracy.

I used to have a Pietta 1858 Remington in .44 caliber that I bought in the early 90s; but the quality was terrible. Have to hit the pin with a rubber hammer just to get the cylinder out. I would any opinions on the 1851 Colt Navy .36 caliber. Who makes the best quality model for shooting and durability? Uberti or Pietta? What is the accuracy factor of the Navy vs. the Army? I have heard that the Navy was more accurate and more popular. Don't know if this is true for NSSA shooting. Thanks for any opinions and feedback.
Old August 17, 2015, 10:52 AM   #2
Rookie21

My experience is only with the 1858 Remy. I own two, and a friend of mine owns a Uberti. They both seem to make fine guns, but my feeling is that the price through Cabela's for the Pietta made guns is hard to beat. Pietta seems to be making some fine quality and accurate (enough for to use in a match) guns right now. I'm very pleased and my next black powder revolver will be a Pietta. Metallic black powder cartridge will be Uberti but that's all you'll get from me for now. Good luck!
Old August 17, 2015, 11:57 AM   #3
maillemaker

I don't own any .36 caliber guns, but my guess would be all else being equal, a factory .36 will be capable of equal accuracy with a factory .44.

The biggest benefit to the .36 is they are cheaper to shoot as they use less powder and lead.

Steve
Old August 17, 2015, 12:10 PM   #4
foolzrushn

.36 vs .44

I don't think one caliber would be more accurate than the other per say. But there are other things that might or might not make a difference to you. The .36 would have less recoil and use less powder, but you already have had a .44 so you know that.

I agree with Rookie that it's pretty hard to beat Cabela's price, and they seem to be having their fall sale right now. I think you should try to handle some, and see which you like if you have a store close.

Unfortunately Cabela's only has a few Ubertis and more Piettas. And not the same model in both brands...so it's hard to compare. But at least you could see how you liked what they had, and then search your local gun stores (LGS) for others. Actually, your LGS might have both brands. Around here though, it's really hard to find much in BP.

Not sure one brand is better either, each gun within each brand will be different. You might do a search of this forum for posts about this. There have been many.

certified 'soap welder'
Old August 17, 2015, 02:16 PM   #5
g.willikers

It's been my experience that the differences in accuracy have less to do with caliber and more to do with chamber to barrel sizes, choice of round ball size, how the pistol is loaded, amount of powder, distance from ball to barrel and the like.
Old August 17, 2015, 02:33 PM   #6
Hawg

The 51's don't usually shoot as high as the 60's do. My Pietta 51 is pretty accurate with 25 grains of powder. Most any of them group well, just not to POA.
Old August 17, 2015, 02:41 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

I've owned a number of brands of '51 Navies over the last 50 years. Currently, I have a Uberti. I use .375 RB over 18 to 20 gr. of Goex 3F. I use a leather washer I punch from leather scraps - 3/8" punch - i.e. .375 - soak it in melted crisco/beeswax combination lube between the powder and ball. Top off with same lube over ball. It shoots very well at 25 yards which is the range I shoot at. It will shoot much better than I.

It's like any handgun - you have to work you load up and practice . . . then practice some more. I don't shoot my '51 as much anymore nor my Pietta Remington Navy - which is another nice shooting revolver - as I am more in to casting and re-loading for cartridge - both smokeless and BP.

I have both Pietta and Uberti brands - both decent revolvers as far as I'm concerned.

36 versus 44? A personal preference as far as I'm concerned. Both will shoot well with practice . . . both will put a smile on your face.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 17, 2015, 04:49 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

I think you will find

+1 to Hawg regarding shooting high and three Bees as to working up a load.

The right load for a .36 might be a little faster than the right load for a .44.
Old August 17, 2015, 11:57 PM   #9
hartcreek

If you have other guns then you could consider .36 cal BP but if not then why not stay with .44 cal as you can use them for HD also. As for accuracy....Uberti, Pietta, CVA, ASM and a few others the accuracy will depend on you and your innate skill and some practice. I have CVA, Uberti, ASM and Pietta and it makes no difference
Old August 21, 2015, 08:40 PM   #10
Syspila

Brass Shooters

Don't laugh, but I have a '76 Brasser, FIE 1858 replica...put 20-22 grains of fffg in it. It is accurate. Be that as it may, my 2011 Pietta '58 is really accurate...both about 25-40 ft. from target. Pieeta made Colts are great now as is the Spiller and Burr I have, probably the most fun to shoot!
Old August 22, 2015, 09:11 PM   #11
Syspila

Oops...

My 1858 Remmy is .44 Cal...forgot to include that!