The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 20, 2013, 04:44 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Went to Maine

Took a short vacation to the coast of Maine.

Landed in Portland and then drove out to Pemaquid, Bar Harbor, and Eastport. Then back to Kittery and most importantly, Kittery trading Post.

Very impressive place. Like Cabela's or Bass Proshop only better. It seems as though they have more used firearms than new.

I put a Dakota 4 5/8 barrel in .44-40 on hold. Pistol is used but in like new condition. With a 35.00 handling fee and 30.00 for the FFL holder here in VA, the price is up to 405.00. I can tell you that 35.00 to ship a revolver is a turn off.

I am going to think about it for a while before I plunge into it.

Great time looking around though.
Old July 20, 2013, 06:02 AM   #2
Smokin'Joe

I agree with you Doc. Kittery trading Post is a great place to visit and the only place in the area that I can find real Black Powder. They handle Goex.
Old July 20, 2013, 07:15 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Their prices are good too.

Traditions brass powder measure. This goes elsewhere for 29.00. Their price is right at 23.00.

.44-40 Brass from Winchester is 19.95 for 50.

They had a Model 94 Winchester in Winchester .32 for 325.00. They have a used table with assorted dies but none in .44 Magnum. I bought a .44 Magnum shell holder for three bucks.

They have a deal with Ruger to sell their new stuff at reduced prices and so their used prices are commensurately low.

Nickel plated Vaquero .357. seven inch barrel at 525.00.

They only had about ten thousand dollars worth od stuff that I can't live without.
Old July 20, 2013, 07:40 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Used to visit Kittery back in the '90s. Nowadays it's a long commute for me.
Old July 20, 2013, 09:00 AM   #5
pohill

How'd you like the traffic? I'm 20 miles away and they won't ship to me (MA)

My last two purchases at KTP - Swiss rifles.
Schmidt Rubin 7.5x55
Vetterli .41
(the Vetterli is a black powder rifle)

Last edited by pohill; July 20, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old July 20, 2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Pohill...

The traffic was a little much, but I am accustomed to it at least to a small extent.

Home is Chesapeake, VA and getting around can be a little hard because of the draw bridges.

They had a coupla battle rifles at the Trading Post but I am staying away from them because I don't want to start accumulating yet another genre.

Do you shoot the rifles in the photo and if so, do you reload the ammunition?

Tnx,
Old July 20, 2013, 10:43 AM   #7
wap41

Doc

$35 to ship a pistol is pretty high $15 will more than cover the postage,that short of a barrel it might fit in a flat rate box.I'd talk to them about the shipping cost.
Old July 20, 2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

WAP

I think you are right.

I had about decided to offer less for the whole deal. There are two Dakota's on the Gunbroker and both wind up at a higher FOB price than the KTP specimen and actually both are in inferior condition.

I think I'll gibbem a call.
Old July 20, 2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

Just got off the phone with KTP

No room for negotiation on the Dakota, so it is off hold and back up for grabs.
Old July 20, 2013, 11:06 AM   #10
pohill

I just got the Schmidt Rubin 96/11 recently. I bought 80 rounds of ammo in NH and found a company in Texas that is shipping surplus ammo to me in MA (Cabelas, Midway, Graf won't even ship new, empty brass). Rounds cost anywhere from $.50 - $.90 each. I plan on reloading. It's comparable to a Mosin Nagant (7.62x 54). Great gun.

They haven't made ammo for the Vetterli since approx. 1940. It's a rimfire that can be converted to center fire for a few bucks and a half hour's work. The brass has to be formed from .348 Winchester or 8mm Lebel. Lee sells the dies. I use a .44 mag bullet.
You can shoot BP (I do) or smokeless. It has a 13 round tubular mag. I highly recommend this rifle -great gun to shoot, very little recoil.
Vetterli - $250
Schmidt Rubin - $175
Yeah, Kittery Trading Post has just about anything you want. I bought a Springfield .50-70 and a Gallagher .54 (among many many other guns).
Here's a good site to search:
http://www.ktpguns.com/
On the left, click on ACTION, then Muzzleload:handgun or Long gun (for BP guns)
Old July 20, 2013, 12:14 PM   #11
bedbugbilly

Annnnnnd . . . .did you partake of the lobster drenched in butter?

Sounds like an interesting place to visit . . . I'm surprised that you didn't come home with a trunk full.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 20, 2013, 01:57 PM   #12
Doc Hoy

Lobster

If I never see another one it will be too soon.

Well....

...at least for this month.
Old July 20, 2013, 08:29 PM   #13
mykeal

You also need to visit Dixon's in Kempton, PA and The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, OH.
Old July 22, 2013, 04:01 PM   #14
PetahW

KTP's very nice - great deals on some hunting wear/gear too - but if you go North again, take the detour on Rte 93North to Riley's in Hookset, NH.

Riley's usually has plenty of guns - although nowhere near the thousands on KTP's floor & display cases.

From there, a little way North on rte 93 & East on Rte 101 will take you right to the NH seacoast midway the Mass/Maine borders (Rte 95 in NH's only 20miles long, there).

Old July 22, 2013, 09:19 PM   #15
pohill

I went to Riley's last week - they had some ammo that's kinda hard to find (7.5x55 Swiss). And their price was good. Good people to deal with.
Old July 24, 2013, 01:44 PM   #16
shafter

Kittery Trading Post is one of my favorite regular haunts. They have fair prices and the place has a nice rustic feel to it. The staff is knowledgeable for the most part and they've been there for a long time. They've always got a rack of old Winchesters and Marlins. I like it much better than Cabelas and Rileys.

* Cabelas brick and mortar stores leave a lot to be desired but I love them as a mail order company.
Old July 24, 2013, 05:32 PM   #17
Bill Akins

Well I've never been to Maine, but I kind of like their shell fish. Say the lobsters are insane big, and they wind up on a large dish, lobster on the big dish, or choose the shellfish, it doesn't matter.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old July 25, 2013, 06:45 AM   #18
Doc Hoy

Two responses....

Shafter,

You are dead right about the Winchester selection. Lots and lots and good prices as you said. If they had had one in an old pistol caliber, I'd a bought it.

Bill,

Who was that?...Three Dog Night?

Here's one:

The Kid went for his rifle, trusty...
But found it was a trifle rusty

Now who is that?
Old July 26, 2013, 06:08 AM   #19
Bill Akins

"Well I've never been to Spain" was written by Hoyt Axton, and sung first by Three dog night, followed up quickly by being sung by Elvis.

Not sure who said that about the trusty rifle being a trifle rusty. Hemingway?
I remember he wrote something about his carbine rifle being rusty as an analogy for a part of his body no longer working in his later years.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; July 26, 2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old July 26, 2013, 06:51 AM   #20
Doc Hoy

Someone who did ad copy for commercials

The "Kid" was the "Cheerios Kid" and the commercial was for Cheerios.

It was sometime around 1958 when it was still acceptable to have a commercial that appealed to children (trying to sell Cheerios) mention anything as politically incorrect as a rifle. I am being sarcastic here.
Old July 26, 2013, 09:49 AM   #21
Bill Akins

Doc, I was 5 years old in 1958, but I don't remember the Cheerios kid.
I remember Bucky Beaver of Ipana toothpaste..."Brusha brusha brusha, something, something, something, Bucky, Bucky beaver". I remember "Bosco" chocolate syrup that came in some kind of bear head (I think) shaped jar.
I remember Merthiolate, and Mercurochrome since we got scratched and cut a lot climbing trees and playing outside all the time in those pre-computer game days,

milk being delivered to our door by the milkman, the Fuller Brush salesman coming to our home when he made his traveling circuit, the man who traveled around neighborhoods with his pony to take pictures of little kids on the pony to sell to their parents, the circuit traveling "vegetable man" who drove his truck with the shelves of vegetables in the pickup bed to sell to the mom's in the neighborhood, the doctor making house calls to our home to cure my sister of an ailment one time, I remember my grandmother still had an ice box instead of a fridge and still got her ice delivered by the ice man,

and I remember Rice Crispies cereal because they always came with a prize like cracker jacks, Mattie Mattel shooten shell fanners and greenie stickum caps, hulu hoops when they first came out, Hamburger head "Speedy" McDonald who was the McDonald's character many years before Ronald McDonald, dollar a carload to get into the drive in movies, lucky strike cigarettes "LSMFT, Lucky Strike means fine tobacco, outstanding AND they are mild", 5 cent coke machines, and coke bottles in a metal six pack container/carrier before paper six pack holders, heavy stainless steel, soldered with lead on the seams, Coca cola ice chests for going to the beach (Parents kept that ice chest and I inherited it and gave it to my nephew who still has it),

Zorro, the Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Tarzan, Heckle & Jeckle two black cartoon crows that spoke in an African American dialect (totally UN pc today), Mighty Mouse "Here I come to save the day! Mighty Mouse is on the way!" and various other things from the '50's that I can't recall at the moment, but for the life of me, I can't remember the Cheerios kid. Maybe if I saw the commercial again it would peak my memory. Cute saying though, "my trusty rifle is a trifle rusty". I just wonder if someone accidentally left their wet truffle on their trusty rifle if the truffle truly made their trusty rifle a trifle rusty?

Last edited by Bill Akins; July 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old July 26, 2013, 10:18 AM   #22
campbed

KTP is an institution round these here parts (ME/NH/MA).

Tradition, independent supplies (read wide variety you won't find at Cabellas or Bass or LLBean), and just a fun place to be!

Rileys in Hooksett NH is my adopted LGS. 25 minute drive, and I pass 3 or 4 LGS's to get there. Good ammo, fair/good new/used gun selection, good supplies (WIDE variety of CLP and oils...), good people.
Old July 26, 2013, 07:30 PM   #23
PetahW

1958 was a fine year - I was graduating High School, back then......

Old July 30, 2013, 05:51 AM   #24
Doc Hoy

Bill....You are trippin, man! ;o)

Next time I am at U campus I just gotta wangle an invitation to Hudson to meet you.

I was at that sea food joint on the water in Hudson this last time I was there.

Hired a new Prof and took her to a Welcome Aboard outing.

Prolly pretty close to your digs.

BTW, Here ya go:

http://vintagetvwrestlingnostalgia.b...-kid-1960.html
Old July 30, 2013, 11:41 AM   #25
Bill Akins

Doc that restaurant was probably "Sam's beach club" on the water (gulf of Mexico) next to the marina in Hudson. Only a few miles from my home. Next time you are this way, give me a shout. Saw that "Cheerios kid" pic in your link, but nope, doesn't stir my memory. Gettin old I guess, can't remember everything from way back then.

Last edited by Bill Akins; July 30, 2013 at 04:27 PM.