The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 19, 2012, 05:38 PM   #1
rrruger

GP100 spring replacement options

Wolff spring kits are a little hard to come by at the moment. Have any of you had experience with non gun springs to replace the Wolff reduced power springs in a GP100?
Here in Phoenix I have access to several large stores that sell nuts bolts and springs. I suspect that I could find a suitable replacement for a Wolff hammer spring in the 8 to 10 pound range...if I knew what I was actually looking for.
Have any of you run a spring compression test on a standard hammer spring? If so, would you have figures that would help a retail salesperson find a suitable replacement?
Old April 20, 2012, 07:57 PM   #2
drail

Just keep looking for Wolff springs. I have tried what you're suggesting and it will cause you more problems than you might think. Springs in a gun have to be balanced with each other. Change that balance enough and it won't be as smooth as it was with the factory springs. Deburring the action parts and the frame internals is much more important than simply changing to lighter springs. And Rugers are FULL of burrs.
Old April 20, 2012, 08:35 PM   #3
cookie5

If you shoot the GP enough you may find the springs will become" not too bad"
Old April 21, 2012, 03:07 AM   #4
rrruger

Does anyone know the standard trigger pull of a Taurus 851 hammerless 38 special? I was able to dry fire one several times tonight and compared to my GP100 the trigger pull in DA was horrible. As I said the Ruger has had some cleanup work but the stock spring remains at 14 pounds. The perceived pull on the Taurus was twice that of the Ruger. Now I was told that the Taurus was new and had less than 100 rounds, but the difference was outstanding.
I put it to my ear and heard all kinds of stuff going on in DA.
I am not knocking Taurus. I have shot this very gun and found it to be accurate and fun to shoot. But, after the improvement to the Ruger with stock springs I was surprised at the difference.