The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2011, 07:51 AM   #1
gregjc9

Shot my first 223 loads this weekend

WOOT!

Accuracy at 100yds sucked, but I know why. Good news is they all chambered and fired just fine in my AR. I first shot 5 rounds of OEM ammo to foul the barrel and to use the pattern as a guage. I then fired groups of 4 different OALs, 5 rounds each at 2.260", 2.250, 2.240, 2.230. 2.250 seemed to pattern the best.

Using OAL of 2.250, I loaded 4 different sets of 5 rounds each, starting out with 23.6gr of H335. Each step up in powder was per my Sierra manual (dont recall what they were right now). The accuracy of all 4 sets was basically the same, crappy.

Here's why: I had picked up some jacketed bullets from the LGS to begin learning loading 223 with. After closer examination, these bullets have a very odd shape, in that the bearing surface of the bullet ends at the top of the cannelure. Putting the bullet into the top of my RCBS Precision Mic Land Nut, the bullet goes in all the way up to the cannelure. I did the same thing with some PMC OEM rounds, and the bullet stopped in the Land Nut at the ogive, where the other one should have.

I have a batch of different bullets (Hornady, Sierra, etc) of varying weights coming in, so I'll make some more batches and do some more testing this weekend.

When I get to something I like, I'll post some pics then. Thanks all for the invaluable assistance and information provided here.

Greg
Old January 24, 2011, 08:06 AM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Awesome. You may have better luck loading rounds with different chrarge weights first...to find which charge weight works with the harmonics of your barrel. I would work up 3-5 rounds at different weights, starting with start load and working up in .3 grn increments, up to max load. As you shoot for groups off a rest, just be mindful to watch the pressure. You will find that one or two charge weights will group tighter than the rest. Then I would work with seating depth to finally tweak the load and tighten groups even more. Good luck, this is how I do it, and there are a million ways to skin a cat!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 24, 2011, 08:24 AM   #3
DiscoRacing

I C H... knows what the score is.... He's right.

.. Nothin like makin your own boom booms
Old January 24, 2011, 08:27 AM   #4
gregjc9

Thanks. Yes, I'm definately going to crawl before I try to start running. I plan on sticking with the 55g first, try different loads, and get comfortable loading with them first before I see if my AR likes the heavier bullets better.

I started off with the OAL test first because I tried (in vain) to use the RCBS precision mic to see what the bullet jump was to the lands on my AR. I never could get consistent readings with it, so I thought I would try this as my first test. Besides, seems like the general concensus on this step in the process for ARs is it's pointless.

When I find a recommended powder step that has an obviously tighter pattern than the rest, then I will try some smaller steps using that load as a base.

Greg
Old January 24, 2011, 11:09 AM   #5
PA-Joe

Do you know the twist rate of your two barrels? You may have to change bullet weights.
Old January 24, 2011, 12:25 PM   #6
gregjc9

I know my RRA that I use at 100yds is 1:8, which from my research that rate is supposed to like 65-75gr bullets. I havent had the chance to find out what my other AR's barrel twist is. However it's a carbine that I currenlty have sighted in at 25yrds, as it is intended to be my IDPA 2 gun rifle. The matches are all indoors, so I have no need for it to go past 25yrds, so 55gr in it should be just fine.

Greg
Old January 24, 2011, 02:02 PM   #7
jcvibby

prob a barrel twist rate issue
Old January 24, 2011, 08:37 PM   #8
rdmallory

One word of caution. You get much heavier than 62gn it will not fit in AR too long (OAL). Unless you load it like a single shot.

Doug
Old January 25, 2011, 05:15 PM   #9
JD 500

This article helped me a LOT.

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Good luck !

P.S. I have had real good luck with the 69grain SMK (Sierra Match King)
in my 1:8 twist bbl.
Old January 25, 2011, 05:28 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

I found a real nice acurate load with H-335 using 55 grain FMJBT, and Hornady V-Max. The load shoots better than I can hold. It is listed as the most acurate powder, and load in the Nostler manual.

Note that this is a maximum listed load in the Nostler manual so work up to it, and back off the charge if you see pressure sighns.

25.0 grains H-335 with a COL of 2.260. I used CCI 400 primers, differance between Hornady, and Winchester in 55 grain FMJBT as far as my testing has gone seems to be that Hornady cost about $2 more per 100, and come in a cardboard box. They seem to shoot the same in my Savage.
Old January 25, 2011, 05:30 PM   #11
DiscoRacing

If your still experimenting different bullets... ya might wanna give the midway dogtown bullets a try...

.. ive had excellent groups from both the 34 and 55 grain hps

...and they have a flat base..which I have had better luck with in the 22 calibers, than a boat tail
Old January 25, 2011, 05:37 PM   #12
gregjc9

jd500: Thanks for the link to the article. I read that some time ago, and have it printed and inserted into my load book. It's a great read/reference.

m&p45acp10+1: Good info on the load, thanks. FWIW, My Sierra lists 25.7gr as max.

Quote:
If your still experimenting different bullets... ya might wanna give the midway dogtown bullets a try...
Interesting you mention those. I have a box of those and Hornady VMax in 55gr coming, along with 69gr SMK HPBT and Hornady Match HPBT 75gr coming, should be here friday. The Dogtown bullets had pretty good reviews.

I hope to be able to test the DT and VMax this weekend, using Sierra's published loads.

Greg

Last edited by gregjc9; January 25, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old January 25, 2011, 05:43 PM   #13
DiscoRacing

I shoot 34gr dogtown in my .223 and 55gr in my .22-250

even dropped a big doe this past year at 65 to 70yds with the 34grainers in the .223....

... didnt think that small a bullet/caliber would drop a whitetail at that range..

...excellent bullets...excellent price

Old January 25, 2011, 06:22 PM   #14
gregjc9

Disco, what twist is your rifle that you're shooting 34s?? I'm afraid the 1:8 twist in mine would cause them to self destruct. Wouldnt you need something like a 1:14 or 1:12?

Greg
Old January 25, 2011, 06:25 PM   #15
DiscoRacing

UMmmm... not really sure on that one...I believe its 10 or 12... I cant think right off...too many rifles... its a ruger m77.

... I shoot em fifty yards at a 1/4inch circle.
Old January 25, 2011, 06:33 PM   #16
BIGR

Disco, I like that picture. Looks like you are well stocked.
Old January 25, 2011, 06:49 PM   #17
DiscoRacing

Tkx...BigR..

Thats just a portion of my STOCKing...