The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 18, 2009, 09:27 PM   #1
Field

differences between uspsa limited and production divisions

i saw a few of the better shooters at my meet were in the production division. i was wondering if they did that for a reason. would there be an advantage to competing in the production division versus the limited division?
Old August 18, 2009, 09:59 PM   #2
mjoy64

Production vs. Limited in USPSA

There is no "advantage" per se because the competition is within divisions. For equally skilled competitors those in limited division will tend to have better overall scores than production due to not having to reload as often and more favorable scoring calculations.

Production is a class close-ish to IDPA's Stock Service Pistol division where loaded division magazine capacity is limited to 10+1 and the mods that are permissible to the gun are somewhat limited as will (trigger jobs, reliability work, different sights). All competitors in this division are scored minor so 9mm guns are the most common in this division. I think minimum minor power factor is somewhere around 125.

The Limited division allows loading as many rounds as your mag can hold and there are more permissible mods allowed (than Production). 40 S&W is the caliber of choice and you see a lot of STI and Glock guns in this division. Almost everyone in this division will shoot a load that meets the minimum power factor to be scored major (you get more points for marginal hits than minor power factor competitors). I think minumum power factor for major is around 165.

Many people like to shoot the Production division because it tends to be a bit less expensive of a game and many shooters also shoot IDPA and they can shoot the same gear in both games.
Old August 19, 2009, 02:05 AM   #3
Field

so if i wanted to even though i have an xdm9 with a 19rnd mag i could stuff only 10rnds in my mags and compete in production? Because as of now all i have done to my gun is a few trigger parts and some green FO sights
Old August 19, 2009, 08:09 AM   #4
lmccrock

Yes, even though the mags hold 19, you can only load 10 in Production. If you do not have the extra magazines to compete in Production, go ahead and shoot in Limited. If you hit all A's, minor does not matter: A=5 regardless of pf. ALL Production shooters are scored minor regardless of ammo power.

Quote:
I think minimum minor power factor is somewhere around 125.
Minor power factor floor is 125; major is 165. Power factor is velocity in fps times bullet weight in grains divided by 1000. So a 125 gr bullet at 1000 fps just slips in over the limit for minor. I shoot a 45 in Limited 10, and it runs 230gr at 740fps for a pf of 170.2, which includes a cushion. At local matches, there is not usually a chronograph, so it is on the honor system.

Quote:
i saw a few of the better shooters at my meet were in the production division.
At my club, I think some shooters got bored with Limited and Open and went to Production for a new challenge. "See? I can kick your butt using plain gear, too!"

Lee
Old August 19, 2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Field

well yeah that was part of my mentality on the thing was that production would seem to be a bit more difficult to score the same shots in the same amount of time and then your also having to do more reloading so you would get better at it out of necessity