The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 22, 2007, 05:07 PM   #1
newcool10

Novice, want to buy a nice looking gun kit. Have a few questions

Hello all,

First of all, my only experience with guns is at at the firing range. I have no ability or desire to own an actual firearm. Also it is virtually impossible to do so in the NYC area.

Now, I am into building and creating things and am really intrigued by percussion handgun kits I found on http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default...ath=22_162_194
What about, http://possibleshop.com/kit-cap-ball.htm ?

I am looking for something simple that would take under 40 hours to build and that I could display. I would also like to be able to get it to actually shoot.

I am looking for some answers to these questions, and any general advice:

1. What is the legality of these gun kits in the NYC area?
2. Is it better to go with percussion or flint? what are some good stores?
3. Just how difficult is it to assemble and get it to fire?
4. What kind of ammo do they use, what is the loading process?

Thanks,
Conor
Old April 22, 2007, 08:38 PM   #2
w_houle

Being as to how you live in NYC you will not be able to have this shipped into NYC. They may be sending you a parts kit but one of those parts is legally defined as a gun. What usually is the gun part is different with some guns, it's usually the frame or the lower receiver. All the other parts according to the BATFE are not considered a firearm per se.
Old April 22, 2007, 08:45 PM   #3
Keegster

I don't know much about the legality of black powder arms in NYC, but I can shed some light on other things. Basically, there is a lot of different kits to choose from. It all depends which kind you want. There are single shots, and also revolvers. Both each have a different loading process. The single shot type muzzleloader is loaded by pouring the charge down the barrel and ramming a slightly smaller lead ball covered by a small piece of cloth, or a patch, to create a tight fit. For instance, a .45 caliber pistol would typically use a .440 diameter lead round ball and a patch.
A black powder revolver is loaded by placing an slightly oversized lead ball over a charge of bp and using the loading lever to seat the ball into the chamber. A lube is put over the ball at this point to prevent chain firing (when more than one chamber goes off at the same time) and to cut down on fouling. A cap is than placed on the nipple and the pistol is ready to fire.
As far as flint or percussion, percussion is probably easier to use and more reliable, but flint wouldn't be bad either.
There are different difficulty levels on kits. Many kits are completely preassembled and just require that you take them apart and finish it, where as others come in pieces that you assemble and finish. The better brands of kits out there would be lyman and pedersoli. There are also Classic Arms kits, which are very interesting, but may be harder to build, as they are in the less complete stage than others and require much more work and fitting. Dixie Gun Works has a great variety to choose from. They also have reviews which allow you to see what others think about these pistols.
Just be prepared to take your time in finishing and assembling and you will have a great functional pistol.
Old April 27, 2007, 12:25 PM   #4
Double J

-I'd recommend checking with your local PD about your legal issues. Then if everything goes well, give Dixie Gunworks a call. They carry several kits and will have something that can suit about anyone. From easy one day kits to some that will require lots of time to finish. For me, it's a lot of fun to shoot something I got to make. These kits are a good place to start. Good luck.
Old May 20, 2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Johnywinslow

Ny!

Man I cant help but feel for you ! I live in AZ and the thought of the restrictions of states like NY just make me mad! MOve to AZ its cheaper and probly some of the best gun laws in the country, Its still legal to carry as long as its not concealed ! several Ranchers around here look like they steped out of the 1880's ! But to be fair Ny city has sooooo many people in such a confined area , I can understand the concerns , just dont agree with them. ... I want to do the same thing I decided to buy a gun already put together and work in reverse. taking it apart and refinishin metal and wood. Just an idea, my friends dad put together a hakin kit and said there was alot of little things to do to make it all fit. just my 2 cents worth , good luck!
Old May 20, 2007, 05:55 PM   #6
Heinrich

The Davide Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol is a very nice project to start with...