The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 3, 2013, 01:54 AM   #1
Ryu825

Yugo sks. Talk me in or out?

So I was at my lgs the other day looking for an ak. Didn't find the one I wanted but on my way out I saw this yugo sks with a bayonet and a 30 rd mag for $399. I also saw a chinese one with the dragunov looking polymer stock also with 30 rd mag no bayonet for just $299.If its a good deal and a good gun I might have to go get it unless I find that ak. Whichever I get will be my first rifle. I'm getting it mainly just to add a rifle to my collection and to go to the range with but also hd or shtf if need be. Any opinions on these guns are welcome good or bad. If its a good reliable cheap gun, awesome. But if the tag is the only enticing thing about it I wanna know so I can stop wanting it. Thanks in advance
Old June 3, 2013, 02:16 AM   #2
oldmaster111

I have had a Yugo sks for about five years now and am very happy with it. Very accurate, easy to care for, ammo is available. I don't think you would go wrong in buying one. I prefer the original configuration but if you want there are plenty of ways to change or accessorize the sks.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:06 AM   #3
Bacteriophage

My Yugo is my current favorite gun, after a few tweaks.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:35 AM   #4
Drhc116

I have 2 chicom SKSs that I love. They are accurate, reliable and easy to use. I have both of mine in the orginal wooden stock w/ bayos. With that said, If you are going to have any kind of "collection", an SKS is a must have in my opinion. I like the Chicoms but they Yugos are really nice as well. Id say get the yugo b/c. it has the bayo and Im guessing the original stock?
Old June 3, 2013, 07:49 AM   #5
TX Hunter

SKS is fantastic

I have a Chinese type 56 SKS and My Son has an early Yugo M59 the one without the Grenade Launcher. We love them. They are both in original trim. I dialed mine in Yesterday evening with a front sight tool and can hit a Milk Jug repeatedly at over 100 yards. The Rifle points naturaly and recoil is so light You wont even notice it. Infact at close range I can shoot under a milk jug and make it airborne then hit it again while its in the air. These are not Target Rifles but the practical accuracy is outstanding. I have not had a single malfunction neither has My Son. I wish I had got one of these years ago I didnt know what I was missing.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:45 AM   #6
ttarp

If it were me, I'd buy the chinese and put an original stock and magazine in it. I've had poor luck with the aftermarket magazines, a lot of people use them so I know there are good ones out there but the one I had didn't work out.
Old June 3, 2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Quentin2

I have a Yugo and like it but it's heavy with all that stuff hanging off the front plus the barrel is not chrome lined. You said the Chinese version is cheaper, making it interesting. It's also lighter at the muzzle and I believe the barrel is chrome lined.
Old June 3, 2013, 02:49 PM   #8
tahunua001

Quote:
So I was at my lgs the other day looking for an ak. Didn't find the one I wanted but on my way out I saw this yugo sks with a bayonet and a 30 rd mag for $399. I also saw a chinese one with the dragunov looking polymer stock also with 30 rd mag no bayonet for just $299.If its a good deal and a good gun I might have to go get it unless I find that ak. Whichever I get will be my first rifle. I'm getting it mainly just to add a rifle to my collection and to go to the range with but also hd or shtf if need be. Any opinions on these guns are welcome good or bad. If its a good reliable cheap gun, awesome. But if the tag is the only enticing thing about it I wanna know so I can stop wanting it. Thanks in advance
my opinion is that both rifles are overpriced. $300 for the chinese is not a bad deal if it was all original and in good condition however the modifications actually lower the value despite the extra money the original owner put into it. the Yugo is right at the top of it's price margin, assuming it's in excellent condition with little wear or scratches with a good bore $400 is not a horrible asking price though not the greatest either.

I owned an AK for 3 years and have handled and shot about half a dozen over the last few years. given my experience with a chinese SKS, I would take the SKS over the AK any day of the week and twice on sunday. it has tighter tolerances, much higher quality machining process. easier takedown/reassembly and is better suited to mounting optics. more accurate too in my experience. I once read a thread with pictures all the way down the assembly line where a fellow built an AK receiver and furniture set out of a shovel, using only a saw, hammer, pliers and a burn barrel and 5 gallon bucket as a smithy. he just just dropped in a parts kit for the guts. he made a fully functional AK with accuracy and recoil management comparable to a factory arsenal AK. I will take the SKS, much more sturdy design.
Old June 3, 2013, 03:13 PM   #9
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
I once read a thread with pictures all the way down the assembly line where a fellow built an AK receiver and furniture set out of a shovel, using only a saw, hammer, pliers and a burn barrel and 5 gallon bucket as a smithy. he just just dropped in a parts kit for the guts. he made a fully functional AK with accuracy and recoil management comparable to a factory arsenal AK.
Read that thread, it was legendary. It made me realize how simple and reliable AK variants are.

It also made me realize how overpriced they are in California haha.

I'd agree with the general tone of the thread though, an SKS with a removable magazine has a lot of pluses to be had.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old June 3, 2013, 04:51 PM   #10
seanc

Since both rifles have 30 round mags, neither are in their original import collectible form. I'd break down each one down to at least a field strip to see how much corrosion there is in the gas block and that should also allow you to get a good look down the barrel as well and look to see which rifle has the best rifling, with an emphasis on the crown.

If you're interested in the Yugo, I'd bust their chops on the 922(r) status of the Yugo and tell them you'll do them a favor and get it out of there for $299. Otherwise, I agree with Quentin2. I'd get the Chinese just based on price. Chrome lined vs. non-chrome lined doesn't make much of a difference for 7.62x39 anymore as there isn't much corrosive surplus ammo and you're not shooting a full auto firearm.

As far as comparing SKS to AKs: I choose a Vepr II over a Yugo and have no regrets. If I had a more understanding wife, I'd have all 3 (wife+Yugo+Vepr) .
Old June 3, 2013, 05:07 PM   #11
jimbob86

Quote:
Chrome lined vs. non-chrome lined doesn't make much of a difference for 7.62x39 anymore as there isn't much corrosive surplus ammo
Ha!

There is a quit a bit out there labeled as "Non-Corrosive, Copper Jacketed" ...... that has bullets that stick to a magnet ....... wanna bet those primers are corrosive as well?

The sellers fibbed about the bullet jacket material, so what makes you think that they will be forthcoming with an accurate description of the priming?
Old June 3, 2013, 05:24 PM   #12
ttarp

Quote:
I owned an AK for 3 years and have handled and shot about half a dozen over the last few years. given my experience with a chinese SKS, I would take the SKS over the AK any day of the week and twice on sunday. it has tighter tolerances, much higher quality machining process. easier takedown/reassembly and is better suited to mounting optics. more accurate too in my experience.
Finally someone who agrees with my me about the SKS vs AK. I thought I was alone out here.
Old June 3, 2013, 06:18 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Since both rifles have 30 round mags, neither are in their original import collectible form.
If they have only the magazine changed to the 30 round aftermarket magazine they most likely are not 922r compliant, and therefor illegal. http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance
Just something to think about.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 3, 2013, 06:20 PM   #14
tahunua001

Quote:
If you're interested in the Yugo, I'd bust their chops on the 922(r) status of the Yugo and tell them you'll do them a favor and get it out of there for $299. Otherwise, I agree with Quentin2. I'd get the Chinese just based on price. Chrome lined vs. non-chrome lined doesn't make much of a difference for 7.62x39 anymore as there isn't much corrosive surplus ammo and you're not shooting a full auto firearm.
actually there is no way of telling whether the yugo is non compliant or not. a lot of SKS have been converted by importers so odds are it's legal. it irritates me how many people try to tell someone else that their stuff isn't 922R compliant when it really is. I started numerous threads about a SKS I modified and even stated in the OPs that it was fully compliant and still had some bozos comment telling me to take the thread and pics down because they weren't compliant.
Old June 3, 2013, 06:42 PM   #15
HJ857

Quote:
actually there is no way of telling whether the yugo is non compliant or not. a lot of SKS have been converted by importers so odds are it's legal. it irritates me how many people try to tell someone else that their stuff isn't 922R compliant when it really is.
I know a lot about the SKS as well, though it's been a number of years since I've messed with them. This post is sending up red flags. Importers are converting SKSs? Converting from what to what? Are these SKSs no longer imported as C&R rifles? How long has this been going on?
Old June 3, 2013, 07:13 PM   #16
tahunua001

since before AWB. many of the ones you see that take AK mags were done by century. and that's what I mean, converted to take standard AK47 magazines.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:23 PM   #17
Strafer Gott

I've had the SKS from the varied makers, and I like the sight upgrade on the Yugo. The launcher gear on the front doesn't totally screw things up, and the extended muzzle moves the blast a little further out. I was fortunate in finding just cherry SKS's, and the Yugo was no exception. I use it as a replacement for the mini 30.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:24 PM   #18
stu925

I love my Yugo, it's accurate (relatively) and fun to shoot. Yeah it's a bit unwieldy and it would never be my first choice as a defensive weapon but it's a good rifle, cheap to shoot and reasonably accurate. What more could you ask for? $399 these days for a Yugo SKS is not out of line, prices have been increasing steadily for some time. I paid $345 OTD for mine a year and half ago and mine was like new. Provided the rifle is in good shape it's not a terrible price around here.

Stu
Old June 3, 2013, 08:29 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

Quote:
since before AWB. many of the ones you see that take AK mags were done by century. and that's what I mean, converted to take standard AK47 magazines.
Yugos? I think not.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:33 PM   #20
Cheapshooter

Quote:
actually there is no way of telling whether the yugo is non compliant or not. a lot of SKS have been converted by importers so odds are it's legal. it irritates me how many people try to tell someone else that their stuff isn't 922R compliant when it really is.
But is It not best to understand that there might be an issue with one that has an after market 30 round magazine installed?
It would be interesting to know If the OP even knew there was federal law regarding what can be done to an SKS. Many people I have talked to had no idea about 922r, and compliant parts. "Well they sell the 30 round magazines every where, so they must be legal"!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; June 3, 2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:45 PM   #21
Mr. James

ttarp,

You are not alone. I've got two Yugos. They are a heck of a lot of fun to shoot, and perform excellently. I've only run old com-bloc corrosive ammunition through them, but take immediate care of them when I get home. They've never hiccuped, firing half-century-old rounds.

And, sorry, but it's a hoot to have a rifle with a grenade launcher and an underfolding bayonet! Talk about terrifying the bedwetters!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old June 4, 2013, 01:41 AM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
And, sorry, but it's a hoot to have a rifle with a grenade launcher and an underfolding bayonet! Talk about terrifying the bedwetters!
And even more fun If you can find a NATO innert practice grenade or two, and some blanks to launch them out across the pasture!
Old June 4, 2013, 04:43 AM   #23
Ryu825

Thank you all for talking me into buying the yugo.

The Chinese sks I saw was gone when I went back to the shop earlier; some girl bought it a few hours after I looked at it the first time apparently so it was gone before I even started this thread. My new to me yugo is the one with the grenade launcher which I think is badass tho ill probably never use it. Where would I even get grenades for it? Is it legal? It doesn't take ak mags, it looks similar except for the big thing on the front that allows it to be used without modifying the gun. They didn't have an original fixed mag for it but i got 3 extra 30 rd mags for $45. Idk if that was a good deal or not but I've paid more for smaller mags before so it was worth it to me. I also didn't know 7.62 x 39 ammo was so cheap (about the same as .45 acp). Or available. I go through hell looking for ammo for my handguns but they had a whole pallet of 640 and 1000 rd boxes for my rifle so even tho I didn't wanna spend another $200 after already spending $450, I got the 640 rd box. I was gonna end up spending that anyway so I got it out the way. Unfortunately I was delayed as usual due my having a green card so I won't get to try my new rifle til I get a call back q
Old June 4, 2013, 05:52 AM   #24
Justice06RR

Congrats on the SKS. Its a very robust and reliable rifle. I always see it as a more affordable AK; it does everything the AK does except magazines.

Have fun shooting. Ammo is very cheap which is a big plus. Walmart's normal price on Tula is $5/box of 20rds. LGS are around $8-10 depending where you go.
Old June 4, 2013, 06:08 AM   #25
Garycw

Yugo sks. Talk me in or out?

I think the pricing is good on both and would personally buy both if them. If just one, I think the Chinese. They have chrome lined barrels and a simpler gas valve system. Basically they are both built like tanks, very reliable and fun to shoot/ collect. You can easily find original mags and parts or modify beyond recognition. Here's four I have for comparison. Two Yugoslav and two paratroopers.

Tags
sks