The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 20, 2008, 01:32 PM   #26
MillCreek

As a middle-aged, married with grown children, straight, upper middle class executive, I am pretty much long past caring what anyone thinks of my orientation or fashion sense. As far as I was concerned, if I could wear something that would embarrass my teenagers in public, that was a bonus! My office in downtown Seattle is adjacent to Capitol Hill, the epicenter of our local gay community, and I almost never saw fanny packs being worn there, for those of you who are concerned that they are some sort of secret code.

As someone who has hiked, bicycled, snowshoed and XC skied all over the Pacific NW for about 40 years now, I can tell you that fanny packs are very commonly used in outdoor settings and are worn in public by many people up here. They do not get a second glance. I have a large variety of fanny packs to carry firearms, photography stuff and outdoor gear. My preferred brand is MountainSmith. I also have several handgun-specific fanny packs by Bianchi and Galco.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA

Last edited by MillCreek; January 20, 2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old January 20, 2008, 03:20 PM   #27
JollyRoger

I've been using a belly pack to conceal off, and sometimes on duty since DeSantis came out with their first velcro tear-away belly pack some 15+ years ago. Nobody notices, nobody cares: as long as you are talking about the general public. Some bad guys and some gun guys know what's in there, but I don't see that as a major drawback, and they're easy and comfortable.

A point for consideration is that most people tend to focus their attention above waist-level at all times when looking at a man. Whether for the social aversion of being perceived as staring at someone's crotch or simply because their natural tendency is to check out facial expressions, they probably won't even see the belly pack. Before doing the belly pack thing, I used to occasionally pocket carry a J-frame that printed clearly. No one ever noticed. Surprisingly, you could probably walk through a crowd with a gun in your hand at your side and you stand a good chance no one would notice.
Old January 21, 2008, 03:04 AM   #28
tplumeri

Quote:
A point for consideration is that most people tend to focus their attention above waist-level

thats pretty accurate. i was carrying IWB with a t-shirt tucked and sweatshirt over. got hot that day so took off the sweatshirt w/o thinking.
walked around most of the afternoon and no one seemed to notice the black grip of my PM9 exposed.
open carry is legal here.
Old January 21, 2008, 09:49 AM   #29
Manedwolf

I've found this to be useful at times. It's made by Rothco.

Just large enough to clip a holster for a small auto inside. A full sized won't fit...it's pretty small. The strap goes across the chest like a messenger bag, and a cellphone goes in the front pouch.

Can put a vintaged patch or something on it, too, or beat it up a bit with sandpaper and washing to make it look more stylish. I usually have an iPod Nano's case clipped to the strap where it crosses the chest, making it look even more innocuous.

Jeans, tshirt, open longsleeve over that, and a messenger bag are still quite in style.
Old January 21, 2008, 12:10 PM   #30
ldv444

Real men....

Real men carry whatever the hell they want to and don't spend a lot of time wondering what everybody else thinks!
The only problem I see with a fanny pack is that most people who see a guy with one on are going to be thinking that it does in fact have a pistol in it. And a bag of any sort, isn't going to be as quick as a good belt and holster.
Other than that, carry it-responsibly-any way you want.
Old January 21, 2008, 10:27 PM   #31
JRAR78

A fanny pack is the only carry option here in Illinois.
Old January 22, 2008, 07:32 PM   #32
tplumeri

A fanny pack is the only carry option here in Illinois

Really? Youre kidding, right?
Old February 4, 2008, 10:06 AM   #33
bikerbill

Tried a fanny pack when I first started carrying about four years ago, mainly because the Texas summers are just too warm to wear more than shorts and a t-shirt, which doesn't provide a lot of holster options. Found that a pocket holster works far better, gun's easier to access, etc. I don't carry enough junk to need any extra off-body storage.
Old February 4, 2008, 11:37 AM   #34
hhrgprez

camera case

Anyone ever consider carrying in a camera case? won't stand out and acceptable by all. I have a friend who takes his camera everywhere, even helps him with meeting the ladies!!
Old February 4, 2008, 04:13 PM   #35
MillCreek

As a matter of fact, I often use a larger digital camera case to carry while hiking. I have a couple that thread right onto the hipbelt of my backpack or rucksacks. A MOLLE first aid kit pouch also makes an excellent impromptu carrying case. I have found that a J-frame or 2.25" SP-101 fit nicely into the elastic web pockets in the interior.

These make excellent carrying cases that arouse no comment or suspicion, are protective of the firearm, allow quick access and are inexpensive.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old February 4, 2008, 07:16 PM   #36
grymster2007

Quote:
Anyone ever consider carrying in a camera case? won't stand out and acceptable by all
I think accessibility might be an issue, as well as control of the weapon.

Just wear the fanny pack at the front position. If I were a criminal, I would not accost a guy wearing one for fear he might try and hit on me!
Old June 20, 2008, 03:34 PM   #37
anythingshiny

post virgin...and i picked a corpse to post on..

i have been carrying a mountain smith small lumbar pack worn over the shoulder for just shy of 15 years..holds everything from a full size 45 to a six pack of Shiner Bock, can be held down at the waist for bike riding or rock climbing, stays outta the way of a harness etc...Murse or whatever its a perfect function for an outdoor dad who often has to shove extra coats that get peeled off as the day heats up and 1/2 eaten bagels that the kids say " daddy please hold this" and run off to the next adventure.

for ccw it really depends on the day and the situation. here in nc its hot and sticky in the summer..dont wear much and a full size on your hip is pretty easy to spot even with an overshirt. i have recently picked up the maxpedition ramora, its a small Murse with a wide shoulder strap, MOLLE attachments for the crackberry and such and a velcro lined snap pocket separate from the main compartment for a ccw. i normally keep mine on the right hip..but occ..again depending on the situation, slide it into the maxpedition and keep it slung under my right arm or even in front of me..parachute rigger style for short periods of time.

i can draw and present with it fairly well but its just another tool in the toolbox.

the ONLY people that look at a max or a fanny pack as screaming GUN are LEO, CCW and maybe the wise BG...other than that...people walk around in a fog and would never ever think gun, let alone gun/gun/mag/mag/knife/extra shoe laces...
Old June 20, 2008, 03:48 PM   #38
Rant Casey

I'd carry a fanny pack if it were absolutely my ONLY option to carry a handgun. What an awful thought.
Old June 20, 2008, 04:40 PM   #39
Dusty Rivers

Gun Pak

I use an Uncle Mike's gun pak. It goes on your belt. It holds my sig P239 and an extra clip. I'm a lot more comfortable with my 40 cal than a mouse gun. It is all a syk job. Just put it on and wear it and hum the song "Ranger with a big iron on his hip". No one even looks at it. sits high on your pants belt, right under your arm. It is THE carry method that works for me no matter what I am wearing. No one knows what's in it. I don't care if someone thinks it might be a gun. MOST will look for a "victim" not someone they think might be inclined to fight back. If you're that insecure about being a man, I think you better have your lady friend carry your gun. She will probably be better able to protect you. Just kidding these days it's just a big cell phone holder, or sun glasses etc. Only one knows for sure it's holding a gun is you. Only one knows a "real man" is totting it is you. Everyone else is guessing and using Gaydar ( no offense meant). Just don't wear your hot pink or lime green tank top at the same time and you should be safe. At least you have your "big iron" if anyone quesstions your manhood
Old June 20, 2008, 06:06 PM   #40
tplumeri

Quote:
post virgin...and i picked a corpse to post on..
It's ALIVE!!

welcome to TFL
tom
Old June 20, 2008, 06:18 PM   #41
Jermtheory

Quote:
I am pretty much long past caring what anyone thinks of my orientation or fashion sense.
Quote:
Real men carry whatever the hell they want to and don't spend a lot of time wondering what everybody else thinks!
+1

although i do have to admit im still not completely comfortable with it and i feel better when im carrying IWB.

but many times its just so practical,comfortable,and convenient..."real men" do what works and dont worry about the mass psychosis that is fashion.

besides mines not a "fanny pack"...its a Hawke Micro Gunpack(pics in #21 here http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298519)!
Old July 10, 2008, 03:22 PM   #42
Deputy1199

Fanny Pack Alternative

The Safepacker is the epitome of "hide in plain sight". It was specifically designed NOT to look like a holster, and in my experience the only people who recognize it for what it actually is are those who are familiar with one or own one. Tote your gun in one and it will be invisible to most folks, cops included. I use one for my Glock 27 and a spare magazine. The gun doesn't print, and the Safepacker's shape is innocuous -- and perhaps a little geeky. But that's the way I prefer it.... geeks are not thought of as packing heat. With casual dress, the Safepacker looks as if it could be carrying anything -- camera, cell phone, wallet, extra eye glasses; and if asked, I just say it's a "gear bag". No one has ever questioned it further. And, I almost forgot... with the velcro -fastened side, drawing the gun is fast. I wouldn't use a Safepacker with a business suit, but with jeans or cargo shorts, it's great.
Old July 10, 2008, 03:36 PM   #43
Socrates

Well, TP was nice enough to send me his, and, I haven't used it yet. It's not very well setup for getting to the gun, but, it's much more stylish then the two I have that work.

I gave up off body carry after a really horrible incident happened in Half Moon Bay. A woman, pretty much in a witness protection setup, thanks to a psycho ex, had a CCW. She had forgot to renew it, and, had carried her gun in a purse. She left the purse at Safeway, the people called the police, and, they plastered it all over the local papers. I think it eventually all went away, but, now psychoman knew where she was, and, she had to move again.

I forget stuff. I forget I've got my 357 360PD in my pocket, though thunderwear makes it hard to forget you are carrying a heavy gun, still...

After reading this thread, I might use the fanny pack as a decoy, to carry stuff like cheap reading glasses, water etc. nothing valuable.

I can't tell you how many times I forget my glasses, and, I'm not going to do that with a gun...
Old July 13, 2008, 09:50 AM   #44
WESHOOT2

actual experience

Bad guys (mostly) know what a fanny pack looks like, and what it can hold.

Like a sign saying to them "Get yer shots here. If you dare".
Even when it's empty.....

I own many holsters, but only a few look like holsters, ay?

(Currently residing in fanny-pack: one GP100 w/two speedloaders).
Old July 13, 2008, 09:55 AM   #45
Unregistered

Quote:
actual experience

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad guys (mostly) know what a fanny pack looks like, and what it can hold.

Like a sign saying to them "Get yer shots here. If you dare".

You sure it is "actual experience"?

Have you ever heard of someone getting shot prophylactically by a criminal just because he was wearing a fanny pack?
Old July 13, 2008, 02:54 PM   #46
tplumeri

Quote:
Have you ever heard of someone getting shot prophylactically
"prophylactically"?
Old July 13, 2008, 04:12 PM   #47
bushidomosquito

Never ceases to amaze me how some people can come up with the most unlikely scenario to back up an idea. I never once heard on the news, "The victim was shot for his fanny pack."

Seriously, Paris Hiltons purse gets manlier if you put the right gun in it.

"Bush is listening, use big words."
Old July 13, 2008, 05:25 PM   #48
Jermtheory

i think if a fanny pack makes you a target its because the BG thinks..."yeah...he has it coming".
Old July 14, 2008, 07:53 AM   #49
WESHOOT2

grok

Yes; "actual experience".
Old July 14, 2008, 04:29 PM   #50
ElectricHellfire

+ 1 on the Versipak Jumbo. Ive used it on multiple occasions. Most sheeple are oblivious anyway and take no notice of printing let alone bags. The ones who are cognisant and know what you have in there are the ones who are also packing. If they are baddies, they know to move on to other easier targets. If they are other CHL holders then its a moot issue. Its a win-win IMO.