The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 21, 2007, 10:32 AM   #1
insane_irish

Safes in furniture?

Hey guys, I am in need of a gun safe, but have no place to put it unobtrusively (small closets that are already fully utilized). The only option I can come up with is a gun safe that is contained within some sort of furniture. I am hoping for a true gun safe preferably with fire protection, not simply a locked compartment/gun cabinet type of setup.

My eventual plan is to probably have two gun safes hidden in furniture, one in my bedroom for accessibility at night and one in the family room for accessibility during the day. The safes don't have to be very big, if each held 3-5 rifles/shotuns and 3-5 handguns that would be sufficient.

The first one I would like to get would be for my bedroom, so I was thinking of it being housed in say a chest of drawers either horizontally in a drawer or vertically in a disguised section (probably preferable due to floorspace constraints), this has the added benefit of being usable for drawer space as well. The other option would be some sort of tall thin wardrobe type of cabinet, but that would probably not be usable for any other purpose other than disguising the safe.

Once I outgrow the one for my bedroom I would get one for my family room. This one could be housed in something along the lines of a bookshelf or curio cabinet, vertical is probably preferable here as well.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on where I might be able to find something along those lines?
Old November 21, 2007, 10:42 AM   #2
dogtown tom

Several years ago I remember seeing a small safe housed inside an end table. Basically it was a box built around a safe.

I've often thought about the convienance of a coffee table gunsafe.
Old November 21, 2007, 11:39 AM   #3
insane_irish

Quote:
Several years ago I remember seeing a small safe housed inside an end table. Basically it was a box built around a safe.
Yeah, unfortunately, an end table safe would be useful for only handguns and valuables. If I was only looking for handgun safes that wouldn't be an issue as handgun safes will conceal easily in many places. Long guns on the other hand are much more difficult.

Quote:
I've often thought about the convienance of a coffee table gunsafe.
I've seen some examples of hidden compartment coffee tables, but never a true gunsafe. I am also a little hesitant on the idea as coffee tables see a lot of use, especially by my kids and when guests are over for drinks & stuff. Those two exact scenarios are two of three main reasons for concealing the safe in the first place (along with burglars). As such I have concerns about it's ability to not be discovered, due to loose "lid" or some sort of accidental opening.

That's why I would favor something that sees less use for a family room environment such as the aforementioned bookcase or curio cabinet. Obviously a chest of drawers in the bedroom will see a lot of use too, but almost exclusively be me, so that isn't an issue.
Old November 22, 2007, 02:26 AM   #4
Samuel2001

I have the perfect solution! Amsec makes a wooden chest looking safe. It sorta looks like the chest one would have at the foot of a bed and it acomadates 8 long arms, and quite a few handguns/accesories on a tray that sits over the rifles. This thing is even fire rated. Dimensions are 18"Hx54"Lx22"D and its got a cushion that sits attop of it.

I saw it in the Amsec safes web page not too long ago.

Good luck!

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old November 22, 2007, 08:51 AM   #5
insane_irish

Quote:
I have the perfect solution! Amsec makes a wooden chest looking safe. It sorta looks like the chest one would have at the foot of a bed and it acomadates 8 long arms, and quite a few handguns/accesories on a tray that sits over the rifles. This thing is even fire rated. Dimensions are 18"Hx54"Lx22"D and its got a cushion that sits attop of it.

I saw it in the Amsec safes web page not too long ago.

Good luck!
Yeah that this is almost perfect. Only problem is I don't have the floor space for the 54" length. The most I have available is just shy of 46", so call it 45.5". That's why vertical storage is preferable. All of my guns are around the 40" length, so if something horizontal would fit that it would work for me.
Old November 22, 2007, 01:09 PM   #6
a1abdj

You're dealing with some uncommon dimensions for a safe, as well as dealing with a specific use. This makes finding a production model very difficult. I'm not showing anything in my catalogs that meet your external and internal height requirements.

I work with a number of companies that would custom build a safe to your specs.
Old November 22, 2007, 08:53 PM   #7
M3 Pilot

I know very little about cabinet making or furniture making but I think a talented cabinet or furniture maker could buld a wardrobe or armoir appearing box around the safe,maybe with the whole front hinged.
Old November 23, 2007, 04:51 AM   #8
k Squared

Custom Sized Safe

Halls will build safes to custom specifications.

http://www.hallsafe.com/
Old November 23, 2007, 05:36 AM   #9
38splfan

Good safe.

The first point I want to make is to make sure you buy a good, high quality safe. A cheap cabinet is just not worth the savings when it comes to safety and security.

On to your question though. Check out some used furniture stores and find a locking bereau or tall wardrobe. Take out the shelves and hanger bar and there you be. Should fit in your alloted space without too much problem. Just make sure the safe will fit inside and that the bottom will hold up.

My dad did this for a while when I was younger. We lived in a very small house and there was not a lot of extra space to be had.
Old November 23, 2007, 04:16 PM   #10
insane_irish

Quote:
I know very little about cabinet making or furniture making but I think a talented cabinet or furniture maker could buld a wardrobe or armoir appearing box around the safe,maybe with the whole front hinged.
Yeah, that is what I was kind of thinking I might end up doing. I wish I was handy at woodworking. I guess I start looking around locally for someone who might be able to do it custom.