The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 4, 2005, 01:40 PM   #1
Tylden

Home invasions on the rise...what to do ??

I was in my friendly neighborhood gun shop today buying my son's birthday present and shooting the breeze with some of the people there. The salesman I was working with has a son that is a police officer, and he was telling me that home invasions were becoming more and more of a problem for the citizens of Louisville. It seems as though the people doing this have a five or six man team, all wearing masks and in military garb. They ambush homeowners as they are entering or leaving their homes, hold them hostage inside the house, and burglarize their homes. Only one person of the team talks, some stay outside, and the others tend to the homeowner(s) and rob the place. They are all armed (not sure with what), and have a very well thought out plan to execute their crimes. But, due to the nature of what they steal and what they leave behind, they are believed to be amateur thieves, yet they seem to operate in a military fashion. What would you do in a situation like this ?? Keep in mind they take their victims by surprise....so there is NO time to run to the gunsafe or where ever you keep your firearms. By the way, they haven't killed any of their victims, but I'm sure as it is happening the homeowners do not know this. There has been absolutely NOTHING on the news about any of this, at least not yet. So....how would you react if you were their next victim ?
Old August 4, 2005, 01:43 PM   #2
BatmanX

It isn't how I would REACT, it would be how I PREPARE.

I assume they would have to be parked close, so you would notice a car that is not right. I have driven past my house a few times because something didn't feel correct.

You can have security and also have your yard/house organized so that it will not be as easy for these things to happen. I would assume if the police were to put a profile on the houses that were terrorized by these people, they could come up with a list of things to look for.

Be prepared. When it happens, it is too late - but it can probably be prevented.

Current shopping list:
Bersa Thunder 9mm
CZ SP01

Current Ownage:
CZ-P01
Bersa .380 (Duo tone)
Kel Tec P3AT (SG)
Stoeger 2000 (black syn.) 26"
Winchester Model 97 12 gauge FULL
Marlin Firearms Model 60 22LR
Old August 4, 2005, 01:50 PM   #3
BerettaCougar

I leave my house at 5am for work... and its sometimes dark.. I leave my house with pistol in hand..ready to fire
Old August 4, 2005, 02:06 PM   #4
Bo Hunter

Wow - Beretta, I thought you had to see a gun or knife present to even draw your weapon. Now you are waving it around as you leave the house?

Quote:
Actually what he did was illegal in my opinion, firearms are only sopposed to be pulled when your life is in extreme danger...when you know for a fact that if you dont pull the weapon you would die or be hurt..
Old August 4, 2005, 02:25 PM   #5
BerettaCougar

On my way out to my car, I have it in my hand, but I also leave at night, I'm not drawing on anyone, I'm on my own property!!!

I can do this LEGALLY!
Old August 4, 2005, 02:36 PM   #6
sendec

Just some points to ponder - the odds of you needing to fire your pistol are far, far lower than the odds of you stumbling and driving the muzzle into the ground, or worse yet startle and have an ND, or getting into a confrontation in which lethal force is not justified.

Sometimes knowing when to put it away is as important as knowing when to draw it.
Old August 4, 2005, 02:46 PM   #7
blackmind

We should leave all our self-protection duties to the police to handle for us, right, sendec?

Why must you attempt to make it sound like the guy is an incompetent stumble*#&( ? Your comments sound ridiculous. You make it sound like he's walking around with his finger on the trigger (to have an ND), and is that a fair assumption for you to make? If HE is likely to fall and drive the muzzle into the ground on his own property in the dark, why would a cop who is unfamiliar with the place fare any better?

Oh, I forgot:

they're EXPERTS.

-blackmind
Old August 4, 2005, 02:48 PM   #8
steve154

beretta,

When I worked 7:00pm to 3:00am I always had a gun in my hand for my walk to the door and into my house. A little paranoid? Maybe, but I don't like things to surprise me in the middle of the night. I see absolutley nothing wrong with you discreetly carrying your gun in hand to your car when it's dark and you are on your own property.
Old August 4, 2005, 02:51 PM   #9
blackmind

Same here. If you're on your property, you're within your rights. Would it be better to have to fumble under your shirt or wherever you have your CCW, giving the edge to the guy who jumps out from behind the bushes with a crowbar or knife?

I don't know where sendec comes off with his comments, attempting to make you sound like a complete boob, cougar. I think it's "cop-elitism," trying to make it seem like cops are the only ones capable of using firearms for defense. Makes them feel needed, I guess.

Well, they are needed: most of us don't have the coroner's number on speed-dial.

-blackmind
Old August 4, 2005, 02:56 PM   #10
stardate

Beretta if it makes others feel better, you could always place a plastic bag over your gun and hand. A gun double bagged in a walmart bag should conceal it nicely.
Old August 4, 2005, 02:59 PM   #11
Limeyfellow

Amazing how the guy trying to sell you self defense guns at the gunshop is telling you information about the need to have lots of guns because everyone is getting home invaded. Its not really that common and sure its nice to be prepared but many of these gunstore owners make their profits so they will tell you about everything to make a sale.
Old August 4, 2005, 03:09 PM   #12
sendec

Blackmind, they were called points to ponder, for just that reason. If he feels the need to cammy up and barrel roll across the lawn on his way to the minivan thats his perogative. I'm just the guy who has to clean up the mess.

And if fumbling your draw is a problem, practice correct technique, dont compensate by wandering around with your **** in your hand
Old August 4, 2005, 03:17 PM   #13
CarbineCaleb

If 5 or 6 guys with guns had the drop on me, I'd try to avoid getting shot! If you already know they're going to kill you, then you could still go for them at best tactical moment (or flee at best tactical moment)... but I think your chances against 5 or 6 armed men would be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry small, so there is no way I'd initiate a gunfight if I thought I could avoid it. Life is not a movie, and I am not Clint Eastwood.

P.S. As Limeyfellow noted, the gunshop salesman would have something to gain from your thinking that you needed plenty of new guns, so I would take the salesman's concern with a grain of salt too
Old August 4, 2005, 03:26 PM   #14
Jkwas

Last night..

Someone was banging on my front door at 9:30pm. I don't get many unexpected visitors. I asked who it was, it was an old lady looking for an address. I helped her out. But afterwards, I started thinking about what if it was a troublemaker. We have had an increase in home invasions in our county with 3 in the last few weeks. After talking to my wife about it, I'm not going to answer a door without a gun in my hand in a similar situation again. Call me paranoid, but all it takes is one time.
Carrying a gun outside your house in the dark? Going to the car in the dark?
I've got paddle holsters coming for both my guns so I can slide something on when I have to go out or answer the door. It's cheap insurance. One of the home invasions, the victim had a gun, but couldn't get to it. That's no good.
Old August 4, 2005, 03:42 PM   #15
Trip20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendec
If he feels the need to cammy up and barrel roll across the lawn on his way to the minivan that’s his prerogative.
Whether I agree with your opinion or not.... that, my friend, gave me a good belly laugh. I couldn't help but picture some boob like Chevy Chase in "Fletch" or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendec
I'm just the guy who has to clean up the mess.
This, on the other hand, sounds like your the principal at school and your sick of all the "kiddies" spilling their milk in the cafeteria. Give us a little more credit than that.

And if you really think about it, the comment "I'm just the guy who has to clean up the mess." is really the reason why people are barrel-rolling to the minivan... Your not there 'til it's time to clean up. It's not your fault, but it is fact.

lol I can't stop laughin' about the barrel roll, lawn, and minivan.
Old August 4, 2005, 03:50 PM   #16
Wraith

Well I guess it's lucky that I take my SKS in with me every night.

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old August 4, 2005, 04:48 PM   #17
ATW525

I live in a secure building, so when people knock directly on my door I definitely get suspicious. People I know call me on my phone from the back door and wait for me to let them in. People I don't know should be using the buzzer at the front door.

I've only had people knock directly on my door unexpectedly twice, and luckily both times it turned out to people trying to sell newspaper or magazines subscriptions or some crap.
Old August 4, 2005, 06:41 PM   #18
USP45usp

I don't know, I always look out the window before I leave the house . I know my neighborhood, the different dog barks of my uncles and neighbors dogs, and when it's dark outside I have a motion detection light that is right up against the road (so the cars don't set it off but anyone that go by driveway will).

If I knew of this happening I would look out all my windows before leaving.

Wayne
Old August 4, 2005, 07:24 PM   #19
The Rabbi

Quote:
If 5 or 6 guys with guns had the drop on me, I'd try to avoid getting shot! If you already know they're going to kill you, then you could still go for them at best tactical moment (or flee at best tactical moment)... but I think your chances against 5 or 6 armed men would be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry small, so there is no way I'd initiate a gunfight if I thought I could avoid it.
Five or 6 six guys (or one or two for that matter) with guns who have them drawn and pointed at you means you are SOL. Some appropriate words to your respective deity would be in order then, not quick draws.
Old August 4, 2005, 08:24 PM   #20
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Five or 6 six guys (or one or two for that matter) with guns who have them drawn and pointed at you means you are SOL.
Ain't no way more than one guy at a time is coming in any of my doors OR running down any of the bookshelf-lined halls in my house. Bottlenecks are a wonderful thing!
Old August 4, 2005, 08:27 PM   #21
The Rabbi

You tell 'em! I know you're gonna draw your trusty 1911 and drill 'em as they come through the door. Them suckers never have a chance.
Old August 4, 2005, 08:41 PM   #22
Topthis

5 or 6 guys dressed in Military Garb, hiding outside of peoples homes to ambush them??? Now I do know that home invasions happen, but I am wondering where these 5 to 6 guys in Military Garb are hiding? Most of the invasions I have heard about are 1 to 3 guys that come to knock on the door of the householder and then force their way into the home. 5 to 6 guys in Military Garb running up towards the householder would be suspicious to the neighbors...no?? Nothing on the News?? I know that reporters monitor police radio and I am not sure that if these attacks were becomming common, just the word of mouth would get it around the whole State in a matter of a few days...I think the gunshop owner was pulling your leg.
I guess though, for the sake of the thread...if it were me, I would drive by my home 2 or 3 times and fire .45 rounds into every bush, tree, dark corner and anyone looking suspicious, then I would lob a few hand grenades at my front door, just in case someone was behind the planter. Then I would crank the car stereo and blast "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" and jump outta my car with a gun in each hand, all the while screaming..."c'mon...get some, get some!!!"...whew...sorry folks...waaayyyy too much coffee today.
Old August 4, 2005, 10:49 PM   #23
Tylden

The gentleman at the gun shop wasn't "pulling my leg" nor is he trying to sell me another home defense weapon as someone else mentioned. In fact, the folks there that I have talked to all agree that I am well equipped for home defense, at least as far as firearms go. I've been going there for awhile and know most of them well enough to trust them. In many communities, I can see where this wouldn't be that difficult to pull off , even with 5 or 6 people in military style garb...especially in a subdivision such as mine. Frankly, it is rare that a residential burglary is broadcast on the news and the papers usually just have a very brief nondescript listing of a few selected crimes....at least in our area. I don't know how many houses they have hit so far, I don't know if they had their weapons drawn and pointed at you or not...but I have no reason to think this man is not telling the truth. It really doesn't matter to me if you believe me or not. I have family in the city limits of Louisville, and I live just outside of Louisville and this situation concerns me. I was hoping to find some good practical advice and suggestions here, and I thank those that took the time to give a serious answer.
Old August 4, 2005, 11:27 PM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
You tell 'em! I know you're gonna draw your trusty 1911 and drill 'em as they come through the door. Them suckers never have a chance.
I don't own a 1911. And I may not "drill 'em" all as they come through the door, but I'm surely gonna try my best. They'll have a pretty good chance, but that doesn't mean I DON'T have a chance and it certainly doesn't mean that I'm going to simply stand there and pray.

There are things I'm afraid of but dying isn't one of them. Letting criminals take control of my house and everything and everyone in it IS one thing I'm afraid of, and as long as I'm alive I'll do absolutely everything in my power to prevent it. Whether my chances of succeeding are really great or really lousy.
Old August 5, 2005, 12:02 AM   #25
blackmind

Quote:
I live in a secure building, so when people knock directly on my door I definitely get suspicious. People I know call me on my phone from the back door and wait for me to let them in. People I don't know should be using the buzzer at the front door.

I've only had people knock directly on my door unexpectedly twice, and luckily both times it turned out to people trying to sell newspaper or magazines subscriptions or some crap.

All it takes for a "secure building" to be insecure (and potentially deadly) is a person propping a door for whatever reason.

I would never count on a building being "secure." That's a fallacy just waiting to cause someone to let down their guard and get harmed.

-blackmind