The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 28, 2004, 08:33 AM   #51
WESHOOT2

low-cost bedroom reality

I (still) recommend a 4-D-cell Mag-Lite next to the bed; $20-30 AND a fine non-lethal impact weapon.

I have a couple Streamlights (and carry a Scorpion) but I'd never suggest them as an impact weapon (or not much of one).
Old November 28, 2004, 08:55 PM   #52
DBR

I have several models of both Surefire and Streamlight. The problem with all of the incandescant bulb lights is that the batteries fail without much notice, going from bright to dim in a few minutes. The LED lights have a very long taper off of useful light. I recently bought a Streamlight TL-3 LED. It is a 3 cell light (123 cells) and it is much brighter than my 6P or 8X or Scorpion. The light distribution is very even. The LED is rated at 10,000 hrs and it provides 3-5 hrs of full brightness then tapers off for 10-15 hrs. I think it is a perfect bedside light (unless you wish to use it as a club).
Old November 29, 2004, 10:17 PM   #53
Surefire_U2

The Surefire A2 has regulated output with the incandescent bulb when set to high mode, so the bulb will be at or near peak brightness for about an hour. When set to low mode (3 nichia LEDS) its not regulated but the runtime is very good. This is one of the few regulated incandescent lights I know of.....
Old November 29, 2004, 10:18 PM   #54
Surefire_U2

The Surefire A2 has regulated output with the incandescent bulb when set to high mode, so the bulb will be at or near peak brightness for about an hour. When set to low mode (3 nichia LEDS) its not regulated but the runtime is very good. This is one of the few regulated incandescent lights I know of.....
Old December 2, 2004, 09:54 AM   #55
Dah Mastah

I just bought a pair of Surefire 6P's, one for the bedroom and one for the rest of the house. They're small, but they sure are bright. Plus the batteries are no more expensive than Duracells.
Old December 4, 2004, 11:06 PM   #56
rifle59

You can get the 123 lithium batteries from surefire 12 for 15 bucks. Here in Oklahoma City the lights and batteries are a great price at Outdoor America Store. The Surefire lights cost more than other flashlights but they are the best. We spend $ on the best weapons/ammo, why not get the best gear that you can afford. Especially if your life depends on it.
Old December 5, 2004, 06:09 PM   #57
JerryM

I think that the best buy is the Pelican M6 Lithium or M6 LED. I have both, and the LED is surprisingly bright and has a good throw. For inside it is probably the better of the two.
Those lights are the size of the Surefire 6P. The M6L cab be had for about $38 + shipping, and the LED is about $55.

http://www.batterystation.com/pelican_flashlights.htm

LA Police Gear has some of the best prices on Streamlights, although they are a little higher on shipping.
http://www.lapolicegear.com/streamlight.html

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old December 5, 2004, 08:22 PM   #58
TJ 1911

I haven't tried the Streamlights, but I've had a Sure-Fire 6P for several years now, and I'm very satisfied with it. The batts last a long time shelf-life wise, but you don't get more than about an hour of "run time" if the light's on continuously. Buy 2 packages of batteries and check your light regularly.

If you're on a budget, the G2 Nitrolon is basically the same as the 6P, but it's not metal. I have seen them for under $30.00 at gun shows out here.

If you're using this light as an acessory with your house gun, get one of the Sure-Fire combat lanyards. This will keep you from dropping your light if you need both hands in an emergency.