The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 25, 2017, 10:29 PM   #1
BrokenBottles

Two questions about 1911 slides

I'm building a CCO 1911, out of curiosity I wanted to see if the STI slide from my full-size would fit the rails; it did with no perceivable wobble. I really liked the balance of the gun in this form. It's an aluminum frame that's going to be 9mm so it'll get its own slide and barrel soon.
The two questions I have are: Would it be safe to shoot it with about a .030" gap between the recoil spring shroud(no idea what it's actually called) with a full length guide rod?
Do all slides have the same length...'shroud'? I know not all frames have the same dust cover length.
It's only for the range so I'm not concerned about looks or dirt more than any other gun I own.
Old June 26, 2017, 01:50 AM   #2
BrokenBottles

So after spending a bit more time looking more intensely for information, it's a bad idea to do this.
Over travel of slide during recoil, the barrel bushing battering against the barrel during recoil. Actually every problem that you run into when you put a full-size slide on a commander frame. I didn't even think about officer and commander frames having the same position of the guide rod abutment.
If anyone is interested in this configuration, look up the Detonics Street Master.
Old June 26, 2017, 06:54 AM   #3
Hal

Quote:
Would it be safe to shoot it with about a .030" gap between the recoil spring shroud(no idea what it's actually called)
Dust cover - - & - - yes, no problem. Plenty of people do that w/a whole lot more of a gap than .030