The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 26, 2017, 08:56 AM   #26
indie_rocker

FN
I have it's daddy, the FNS-9 and it's been a great platform. I can only imagine the improved version to be even better. The latest American Rifleman also had good things to say about it.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
Old June 26, 2017, 03:42 PM   #27
RandySavage

TheYankeeMarshal did a disassembly video on the APX and it was a disaster. See for yourself. Hickok45 loved the 509 so much he bought one. I handled both the APX and the 509. I like the APX a lot but the takedown seems to be cumbersome. I'm partial to FN in general...I have an FNS 40, and the trigger seems to be the same as the one on the 509. Pretty good triggers, but they can vary in roughness with the reset. The 509 I handled had a very coarse reset that was very sticky. Probably not that way across the board, and with use should smooth out.

Edit - Also, if he is a collector, the APX and the 509 were in direct competition with the P320 for the DoD contract. If you want the best one out of the contract competition group, I might go for the P320...maybe.

Last edited by RandySavage; June 26, 2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old June 28, 2017, 01:18 AM   #28
IMightBeWrong

The issue with the APX was with changing the frame. To be fair, you need to knock out a roll pin to do the same thing with the 509. Neither is going to pull out of the frame as simply as the 320. I wouldn't compare the 2 on that feature personally.
Old June 28, 2017, 11:27 PM   #29
Gats Italian

Yankee Marshall was the disaster in that video. What a simpleton.
Old July 1, 2017, 12:57 PM   #30
jackstrawIII

P10C... by a mile.
Old July 1, 2017, 01:46 PM   #31
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field
When I see questions like this, asking for preferences limited to a small and somewhat obscure list, I wonder "why?". So, why these?
Just a guess on my part, but the three pistols listed are probably the most recently introduced new designs for striker-fired pistols by major manufacturers.

@Glockgreat23:

My son bought the CZ and FN pistols as soon as he could get his hands on them, so I have exposure to them, but not the Beretta. The 509 seemed to have a better trigger than the P-10. However, that perception may be biased because I prefer the 509's hinged trigger to the P-10's trigger safety lever. The 509's grip surface was far too aggressive and busy for me, reaching the level of a serious distraction. On balance, I probably preferred the P-10 over the 509, although neither model would be my first choice for a new 9mm pistol.
Old July 2, 2017, 11:06 AM   #32
Glockgreat23

Thanks for the info...you are right, these guns are the newer introduction, I appreciate your reading the post before going off on tangents that never approach answering the question
Old July 2, 2017, 11:25 AM   #33
hdbiker

I bought myself a Ruger LC9S Pro for Christmas, mainly because I didn't have a 9mm. I really like it.It's small, light, 8 shots on demand, accurate, and was cheap, 340.00. hdbiker
Old July 2, 2017, 12:46 PM   #34
Badgerstate

Probably the CZ from the list, simply because it has such a great trigger. None of those guns would be anywhere near the top of my list though.