The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 5, 2017, 08:52 PM   #1
ripnbst

New Lever Action Option

Has anyone ever heard of Taylor's & Co lever actions? They just released a 1892 Huntsman that is designed to be a light weight carbine. I've never heard of them before.

Here is an article talking about the new rifle series.

Here is their website.

Side note: Their 1911's are well priced, wonder what the quality of them is.

The pricing is a little lofty but the rifles look nice. I've just never heard anyone talk about them at all.

I am not affiliated with them in any way I just never really knew that there was any other option for a lever gun besides the BLR, Rossi, Winchester, or Marlin. Thought I'd share with the class.
Old June 5, 2017, 09:16 PM   #2
Crunchy Frog

Taylor's is an importer, not a manufacturer. Their 1892s are manufactured by Chiappa in Italy. They import other firearms from Uberti, Pedersoli and Pietta.

I have visited their headquarters in Virginia and seen them at some of the larger firearms shows, most recently the NRA Annual Meeting in Atlanta. They have a reputation for very good customer service.
Old June 5, 2017, 09:22 PM   #3
Berserker

This would be more interesting if I could remember the brand, but I handled a 45-70 at Cabelas, I think Italian, and it balanced nice. But it was around $1200 or more. I like the Henry's, but not the balance.

Marlins balance nice, i thought the problems were over from changing plants. I did read one place say no. But people also forgot that Marlins were never foolproof, even the glory days of JM.
Old June 6, 2017, 08:41 PM   #4
jetinteriorguy

I have two of the Henry Big Boy Steel rifles, and they are very very well balanced. The Brass receiver versions with hex barrels on the other hand are very front heavy. My Henry's are .357 mag and .42 mag and I love them.
Old June 7, 2017, 07:33 AM   #5
Berserker

The Henry steel looks bad. People call it blue, but I don't. I wouldn't mind if bargain price. It looks painted. Again if the price was lowered, I would't let causmetics get in the way.
Old June 7, 2017, 09:26 AM   #6
Gunplummer

Sounds like a low pressure gun to me.
Old June 7, 2017, 11:08 AM   #7
natman

If the configuration you want is available from Winchester / Browning, I'd go that way. The Miroku guns are very high quality.
Old June 7, 2017, 11:53 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

I wouldn't even consider a new import lever until I could at least cycle and fondle one in a store.

Quote:
I have two of the Henry Big Boy Steel rifles, and they are very very well balanced. The Brass receiver versions with hex barrels on the other hand are very front heavy. My Henry's are .357 mag and .42 mag and I love them.
Hexagonal barrels and .42 Mag... Henry is really getting funky now.

I assume you meant octagonal barrels and .41 or .44 Mag?
Old June 7, 2017, 11:53 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Sounds like a low pressure gun to me.
The Chiappa 92? It's an 1892 Winchester design and it has two locking lugs and can handle more pressure than a 94 Winchester.
Old June 7, 2017, 09:36 PM   #10
Gunplummer

That is not saying much. It appears too short to actually put anything heavy through it.
Old June 8, 2017, 09:51 AM   #11
natman

Quote:
That is not saying much. It appears too short to actually put anything heavy through it.
It's too short to put anything LONG through it. That doesn't necessarily mean low pressure. There have been 1892 clones factory chambered in 454 Casull, which runs at 65,000 psi.
Old June 8, 2017, 07:19 PM   #12
jetinteriorguy

I hear ya Berserker, the only complaint I would have on my Henry's is the finish. I don't mind the 'painted/parkerized' look of the receiver so much, but the finish and crappy bluing on the barrel is disappointing. But, they both handle and shoot so well I'd never give them up. And since the only alternative in a .41 mag lever is the crazy priced hard to find Marlin, and in .357 the Rossi which I didn't care for, I'm happy enough with the Henry's to feel they are worth it.
Old June 9, 2017, 03:42 PM   #13
JWT

The Winchester / Miroku lever action rifles are pricey but well worth the money. I have the 1873 with an octagon barrel and case hardened receiver. It really turns heads whenever I take it to the range. An extremely well made gun with nice wood and finish It mirrors original Winchester almost exactly. Close tolerances and very accurate.
Old June 9, 2017, 08:54 PM   #14
joe45c

I also have a 1873, but made by Uberti. also case colored receiver in 45 colt real beautiful gun.