The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 7, 2013, 08:44 AM   #26
lee n. field

Quote:
Heritage Rough Rider,
The value is such that anything more than trivial repairs would be a significant percentage of the price of a new one. That's, done by someone else. If you can fix it, more power to you.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 8, 2013, 09:19 PM   #27
bbqncigars

I've had good luck with J-B Weld in such instances. Two things: thoroughly clean and degrease the parts; thoroughly mix (1 min.+) the epoxy before applying. Also make sure that the J-B hasn't been sitting on the shelf for a few years. Old stuff takes forever to fully cure.
Old March 10, 2013, 02:25 PM   #28
ZRTaylor

I tried the repair with red Loc-tite and classic JB Weld a couple days ago, letting it set the full 24 hours and then some. Took it out to test a few minutes ago and it shots remarkably straight. Straighter than me at least. Maybe this thing will be worth giving some love after all. A heartfelt thank you to everyone who offered their advice.

Old March 10, 2013, 03:08 PM   #29
newfrontier45

Problem is that the barrels on these guns are not threaded like other, more expensive firearms. They're "micro-threaded", basically just ribbed and pressed into the receiver, held in place with adhesive. This is why Heritage does not want you turning the barrel to zero the sights, like you would with any other fixed sight revolver.

Save your money, buy a used Single Six.
Old March 10, 2013, 04:34 PM   #30
ZRTaylor

So what you're saying is that the thing was only held in place with adhesives to begin with? Wow, that explains a lot.

I'm keeping an eye on the Single Six. Going to be putting aside a part of every pay check for the next few months. It's still a toss up between the Single Six, a double action revolver, or a Mark II/III automatic though. That's part of why I wanted to get this thing working. Try and flesh out my own preferences a little more.
Old March 10, 2013, 06:14 PM   #31
ThomasT

ZR I am glad you got your gun up and running. It wasn't that hard either was it? It looks like for a new shooter you are doing great.

A nice double action revolver is a joy to own. But I will never be without a single six. I really like the 22 mag round and my single six shoots them very accurately. If I had to pick between the SS and my S&W model 34 I would have a tough time choosing. But it would most likely keep the ruger.
Old March 10, 2013, 07:13 PM   #32
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I arrived late at the party, but I'm delighted that the OP chose to try a repair, and that the repair seems to have worked. I would have done the same thing (if I ascertained that the frame wasn't cracked).