The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2000, 12:03 PM   #1
Judge Blackhawk

What lead melter do you use?

I am looking at the Lee Precision Pro 4-20, does anyone have any opinions on the Lee furnaces?

Thanks

Old December 2, 2000, 12:17 PM   #2
Kenneth L. Walters

Over the last 30 years I've probably owned 12. The Lee's are ok but on at least one I had the bottom drain could jam open. That really makes a mess. Eventually I sold all mine, ranging from a 4 pound Lee to a 90 pound Magma, and replaced them with three RCBS's, one for each alloy I used. Though not cheap the RCBS is, I think, the best there is.
Old December 2, 2000, 07:06 PM   #3
zot

I have the Lee Magnum Melter 20LB capacity, no bottom pour,
its a dipper. no problems except if I don't clean it the pot
will rust bad, I clean it with steel wool and melt Lymans
lube inside and roll it over the pot surface, acts as a
preservative, makes it nice for next use.
Old December 3, 2000, 08:45 AM   #4
Quantrill

Lead Furnaces

Judge,
Had a Lyman and it lasted 20 years. Bought a Lee to replace it, it lasted 2 years. Have gone back and bought a second Lyman and it still is going strong. All bottom pours. Quantrill
Old December 3, 2000, 04:59 PM   #5
Paul B.

Judge B. I bought the Lee 10 pound production pot about 20 some odd years ago. The spout started leaking. Lee replaced the whole pot for half price. It lasted until a few years ago, when it burned out. Again Lee replaced it for half of the current price. I still use it for small batch casting and testing new alloy batched.
For my serious long term session casting, I have a Lyman Magnum pot. I bought it used, and it seems to be holding up well.
I'll pass on a "kink" I got from THE FOULING SHOT, the magazine of the cast Bullet Assc. I thought the guy was nuts, but I tried it and it works like gangbusters.
Drain the pot of all metal, and let cool. Fill pot with water, and turn back on. You will have to reduce the temperature as the water begins to boil, or else you will have a mess. As water boils, scrub with a toothbrush or small wire brush. Do this for about 5 to 10 minutes. Drain. You will be surprised at how clean this gets the pot.
I do this with both my pots, and believe me, it works.
Paul B.
Old December 4, 2000, 02:59 PM   #6
sundog

Paul B., good way to clean a pot.

Safety note, however, is don't try to clean the pot just by brushing it out while dry. Deposits and scale on the the pot can become airborn dust and some of them are alot less than healthy. In other words, if you're gonna clean the pot, boil it! If there s any remaing residue, dump it out in a container that can be sealed, and don't breath any of it. sundog
Old December 5, 2000, 12:34 PM   #7
Bogie

A friend who used to cast a LOT of projectiles for muzzleloading buddies swore by the Lee pots and molds...

Old December 5, 2000, 06:02 PM   #8
Poodleshooter

Jeez you guys must be rich! Special lead melters??? My brother in law casts .54 minie balls using an old pot and a coleman propane burner, usually used for camping. Last range session, he actually cast his bullets, then shot them a few minutes later. When you don't have to alloy, it's cheap to cast bullets.....
Old December 5, 2000, 06:55 PM   #9
sundog

Poodle, rich? not by a long shot. That's why I cast. My casting pot is an old Lyman on an old Coleman stove. Serves my purpose and makes 'master caster' quality bullets.