The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 17, 2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Hunley

Coopers Firearms MFG Co. Value

I've got a gun I'm trying to place a value on. It belonged to my great-great-grandfather and he carried it during the Civil War. I have it and his sword in the safe, and they've been passed down for years. It might have been a "war trophy" since he served for the Confederacy.

It's a .31 or .32 caliber 5-shot percussion cap revolver. Brass framed with a steel cylinder and barrel. The barrel is octagonal in shape and 5" long.

I've found that the company was established in 1851. The patents run from 1851 to 1863 on top of the barrel.

Just trying to find some idea as to what to insure it for. Info online is hard to find.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:16 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

My 2009 edition of the Standard Catalog of Firearms lists a Cooper, J. M. & Co.

"Pocket Revolver
A .31 caliber percussion double-action revolver with 4", 5",or 6" octagonal barrel, and a 6-shot unfluted cylinder. Blued with walnut grips. During the first two years of production they were made in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and were so marked. Aproximately 15,00 were manufactured between 1864 and 1869.

Good $1650 Fair $675 Poor $200
Note: Pittsburgh-marked models add 20 percent."

I hope this helps you out.