The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 7, 2012, 04:32 AM   #26
gyvel

Given the choice, I will pick steel over aluminum every day of the week. The Ruger may have some idiosyncrasies, but you can't beat steel.

I owned a Buckmark briefly back in the 80s when they first came out; I was not impressed with the accuracy, which was mediocre at best, although I seem to remember it functioned well enough. I sold it, and never looked back.

Ruger parts and magazines, as a general rule, are a lot cheaper and a lot more common than Buckmark parts and magazines.

Finally, I have owned my Ruger since 1965, and, other than a new recoil spring assembly, and a minor "pinching" of the frame to tighten it back up, it is still going strong after several hundred bricks of .22, although completely devoid of blue in some areas.
Old May 7, 2012, 09:33 AM   #27
johnwilliamson062

Used MK II is best.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:49 AM   #28
m_liebst

Ruger has the accuracy edge.

Browning has the ergonomical grips and easy take down

Ruger at first, can be a pain to learn take down process.

Ruger has the rugged everlasting edge that's been proven for decades.

Browning has the trigger edge....... -then again, there are hundreds of after market mods for the Ruger.

Ruger MKIII can be dry-fired... has safety blocking sear to insure zero over travel of firing pin.

Ruger comes with 2 mags and a sight rail for use of red dots or scopes.../ browning only comes with 1 mag

I picked the ruger.

Last edited by m_liebst; May 7, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 05:49 PM   #29
MythBuster

"To make the Ruger trigger equal to the Buckmark you have to spend 60+ dollars."

Not true for me. It takes me about a half hour to do the trigger to make it as good or better than the Browning. No parts or anything else to buy.
Old May 12, 2012, 02:30 AM   #30
IMightBeWrong

M Liebst,

This may sound odd, but NICE BM!
Old May 12, 2012, 12:08 PM   #31
MythBuster

"Ruger has the accuracy edge."

Some may and some will not.
Old May 12, 2012, 08:21 PM   #32
Stevie-Ray

Rugers ARE generally more accurate. My 5 1/2" Mark II was more accurate than my buddy's 10" Buckmark; even he agreed. He bought a shorter barrel for his just for the handiness. My Mark II was purchased because I liked my original RST-6 so much. And don't worry about people's reports about tough takedown on Rugers; once you do it a few times it's very easy. But I agree with most, that is, find out which feels best to you. I prefer Rugers, but consider it a toss-up with new shooters.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:05 PM   #33
1-UP

Both are fine pistols. As has been said many times before, it really just comes down to which one feels better in your hand. Nobody will raise an eyebrow and say you bought the wrong gun if you pick one over the other. Both pistols are held in extremely high regard and are considered head of the class until you go up a couple of price brackets to the S&W 41 and other high end guns.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:03 AM   #34
excelerater

go buckmark or go home
Old May 13, 2012, 03:08 PM   #35
m_liebst

I've shot buckmarks, and seen many shoot them..., I'd still pick the ruger if it came down to pin point accuracy.

Rested n scoped, the rugers are tac drivers

This pic. is a 15 shot grouping I did at 25 yards- rested/ scoped with the ruger kp512 5.5 inch barrel. ammo was Fiocchi SM320. grouping measured
.78 inch CTC... thats excluding the 2 shots I pulled.

Last edited by m_liebst; May 13, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:15 PM   #36
chadio

Either - or

... you can't go wrong ...

We can sit here all day and discuss accuracy, reliability, ease of cleaning, etc.

Just get the one that you fancy the most, get on with shooting it.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:47 PM   #37
B.N.Real

Buckmark or a used Ruger Mark One.

The old Ruger -all steel- with the mag release at the bottom and no new safety crxp to screw up how it shoots or functions.

I had one and it was built like a Sherman tank.

Last year I bought a almost new used Ruger Mk III 22/45 and sold it a thousand unhappy rounds and a month later.

Nothing like my old Ruger at all.
Old May 15, 2012, 04:23 AM   #38
blume357

My only experience is with a Ruger MKIII target.... has never failed to preform... can't imagine working on the trigger... it is perfect. I've shot it in a silhouette competition.... which is hitting a very small (think 3") target at 100 yards... free hand.

The only down side to the pistol, I think is the take down and reassembly.... a real pain compared to 'normal' semi-autos.... then again I finally figured out the 'dirty little secret' with the Rugers... you really don't need to clean them but maybe every 5-10 THOUSAND rounds.... just keep spraying break free in the chamber every so often and it will keep running.

I really am not a fan of the 22/45... too much plastic.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:07 AM   #39
Cornbread

Never owned a Buckmark. Recently purchased a Mark 3 Hunter because I really liked the Mark 2 that I have had for years. 1500 rounds later very pleased with it too. As for the take down after it’s not that bad after you do it a couple of times. As others have said be best to try both. For me if it was any better than the Hunter wouldn’t be able to stand it !!
Old May 15, 2012, 07:21 AM   #40
Don P

I'll just report what I see at our steel challenge match's. Seems the shooters using the Buck Marks are having more issues than the Ruger shooters with ammo related issues feeding jams extracting, and yes the shooters are NOT all using the same ammo. They are using different brands of ammo. Just what I see at the match's
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:48 AM   #41
m_liebst

Rugers don't get fussy with ammo. I can't say that for all the other brands i've seen at the range.

In the 8000+ rounds I've put through mine, less hitches than I can count on all my fingers...- most due to cheap loose ammo like remington subs.

I stick to one brand now which is CCI blazer and the gun has been shooting flawlessly since.

Last edited by m_liebst; May 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 02:38 PM   #42
Fishbed77

Quote:
Seems the shooters using the Buck Marks are having more issues than the Ruger shooters with ammo related issues feeding jams extracting, and yes the shooters are NOT all using the same ammo.
This has been my experience with Buck Mark pistols as well. It's a fantastic pistol, but seems more prone to stoppages (especially sideways stovepipes) than the Ruger pistols. I think it's a result of the slide design - the brass has to get thrown a bit further to clear the side of the ejection port in the Borwning pistols.
Old May 15, 2012, 06:19 PM   #43
MythBuster

No semi auto .22 will run on junk ammo. NONE. The Ruger is no more reliable with such ammo than the buckmark or any other gun.
Old May 15, 2012, 06:40 PM   #44
JimPage

I have two mark one Rugers. -- a field model, 4.5" bbl (I think) and a target model. Best guns I have ever shot for accuracy, toughness and reliability. And I have about a dozen pistols.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old May 15, 2012, 08:43 PM   #45
BillyJack3

Just finished researching and looking at both. Came home with the Buckmark. Both are top of the line. The Buckmark just felt so much better in my hand. Went straight to the range and put down 300 flawless rounds after 1 failure to feed in the first mag. Federal bulk. Love everything about this gun.

Next purchase will be a 10/22 so I'm still high on Rugers.

Last edited by BillyJack3; May 16, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:57 PM   #46
idek

Like many others have said, it came down to the grips for me. The browning with the URX grip filled my hand the best and I liked the angle. The MkIII was second place, and the 22/45 was a distant third.

I will admit that my Buckmark doesn't seem to like some types of cheap ammo (Remington gold plate and Winchester Wildcat), but it does very well with inexpensive CCI Blazer ammo. From my perspective, if I've found some types of ammo that DO work well, it doesn't really matter much if other types don't work well. I just buy the stuff it likes and both me and the gun are happy.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:14 AM   #47
m_liebst

Quote:
No semi auto .22 will run on junk ammo. NONE. The Ruger is no more reliable with such ammo than the buckmark or any other gun.

depends on what your definition is of junk ammo. I'd like to know what that is? My definition is remington bulk( especially- thunderbolts/ an subsonics).

Last edited by m_liebst; May 16, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:42 AM   #48
zincwarrior

Copy them then block the copy and hit the little quote icon is one way.

Quote:
Just finished researching and looking at both. Came home with the Buckmark. Both are top of the line. The Buckmark just felt so much better in my hand. Went straight to the range and put down 300 flawless rounds after 1 failure to feed in the first mag. Federal bulk. Love everything about this gun.

Next purchase will be a 10/22 so I'm still high on Rugers.
Indeed, I think the grip difference is the key factor. Neither is better, its justa personal preference thing. Others, like myself can be fine with either, although I did have a preference for the sharper angle on the Ruger III (and berette NEO as well).